Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Interior Leather 'warranty'

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loscoz
Call me foolish but this 'rip' is literally .25" x .25" size AND it's on the passenger rear seats door side ... ONLY visable when you fold the seat down/forward so I won't demand a whole new seat cover UNLESS it starts to peel up that the fix is insufficient.

THOUGH this makes me conscious to take before and after images for my personal records.
I don't get my Q5 until sometime around the end of this month...so I'm curious about what you mentioned about the rear seat belts not having a place to "hold" them. Do you mean when the seats fold down? My current SUV has little clips on the side of the walls that the belt slides into to keep them out of the way!

We had such a brief test drive, so there are so many things I didn't pay attention to...and there seem to be so many different models/ options for each country. So confusing...lol
Old 04-19-2011, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK so the tech came to my office yesterday to do the rear seat leather repair in my Q5.

Took him about 40 minutes between multiple mixing of the color (I have the Cinnamon interior) and then the setting.
It was completely dry and I was able to put the seat back up with no issue and the match is almost perfect - well the color is fantastic tho the texture isn't perfect. I was only instructed to not put any chemicals whether it be a wash or protectant on the area for 48 hours.

I highly recomend this tech for any leather repair to ANY vehicle.
I appreciate folks (like this one) who are willing to take a few moments to impart on me, their learned information on whatever - in this case proper care for my leather interior. He said denim/jeans are the biggest stainers of the seats and in looking my drivers seat is slightly discolored after only 10 months of ownership - time to clean & protect that!

You do not have to have the purchased dealer warranty - he is an independant service agent and does more than just this type of repair.
If you are in MA/southern NH and need help give him a call:
--> Dr. Vinyl; Gary Emmonds; (978) 618-9907; www.drvinyl.com/merrimack

The one interesting point he told me is that if you have any staining of your leather to NOT take it to your dealership - he says 90% of his work is they try to clean a seat and only wind up setting the stain! And his work is mute at that point as the seat cover will need replacing to the cost of a 'few' $$.

So no paperwork, no issues, no hastle what-so-ever.
Cal-Tex even follow-up called me last week to verify I had an appointment set up/had been contacted by the local agent - good customer service IMO.

-----
side note to dreamaudi ...
By 'holders' in the Q5, the back seat belts run or hang down along-side of the seats. My Miata has these little molded clips (sounds very similar to your mention of whats in your current SUV) that the metal part of the seat belt fits into to stay in a specific place/ not move around. The Q5 does NOT have anything like this so wether the back seats are up or down the seat belts are kinda free floating - not kept out of the way.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, I live in MA, good to know about Dr. Vinyl just in case I need leather repair.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Loscoz...thanks for the info! That's a bit odd that they would have "forgotten" to add some sort of tieback for the rear seat belts. Those clips do keep the belts out of the way for the loading and unloading process pretty nicely...