Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Invisible plastic shield for front of Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invisible plastic shield for front of Q5?

Is anyone using any sort of invisible shield for the front end of the Q5 to prevent chips from rocks, etc.?

1. Where did you get it?
2. Does it work well?
3. Any regrets for having it put on?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Local auto enthusiast retailer - Automotive Candy Store
2. Works extremely well, had it applied to entire front end including light covers, grill surround, mirrors, etc.
3. No regrets whatsoever, sure beats front end full of road chips.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fredlikes
Is anyone using any sort of invisible shield for the front end of the Q5 to prevent chips from rocks, etc.?

1. Where did you get it?
2. Does it work well?

Thanks.
Although I don't have one on my Q5, I have seen the Audi installed version on a Q7. Personally- I would opt out since the visual lines where the shield ends is easy to notice and my dealer states that over time dirt builds up. Since I have a white car, I would prefer a few chips (that can be touched up) over the look of the clear shield.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5ACK
Although I don't have one on my Q5, I have seen the Audi installed version on a Q7. Personally- I would opt out since the visual lines where the shield ends is easy to notice and my dealer states that over time dirt builds up. Since I have a white car, I would prefer a few chips (that can be touched up) over the look of the clear shield.

Good luck with your decision.
I had this film installed on my 2002 ML 320 back when we purchased it new. We sold the vehicle a few weeks back after 9 years and 140K miles of service. The paint protection film had checked "cracked" after a few years and I wanted to remove it before i put it up for sale. The paint under the film was in "like new" condition. There was no build up at all and other then the fact that the paint was so clean where the film was removed there was no indication that the film was ever there. Your dealer is pulling your leg.

The kits are really invisable compared to the "bras" that were popular in the 80s/90s for the same purpose.

I installed the 3M kit on my Q5. I purchased it on eBay at a great price, around $150 got me the hood edge, fender edges, mirrors, and head lights. I installed the kit myself but this is not an easy job. I have experience installing decals on cars but it was still a challenge. The seller on eBay offers videos to walk you through the install that help. I think these kits are great and really protect the car's paint in the most vulnerable locations. Go for it.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ditto on the 3M film. I did not (unlike Jeff above)attempt this myself. I called several places and compared prices, ended up paying 650 I think for the following:
1/3 hood
1/3 fenders
both mirrors
entire front upper/lower bumper
door handle cups
gas door and just below it too
headlights and fog lights

My Q5 is white and it's only really visible where the film ends when it gets dirty but a quick wipe with a detailer spray and it's gone. I guess the only tricky spots for adhesion and dirt build up is on the lowest portion of the bumper where there are thin pieces of plastic. The protection is actually palpable b/c you can feel little dents in the film where rocks have hit and not damaged the paint. The headlight protection is cost saving too, prevents road debirs hazing of the lense and obviously cracking of a lense.

It tool the guy about 4 hrs I think to install it.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would look for a user called "detailersdomain" on this forum or just google it.

I haven't had any of his work but he posts his work often enough to make me want to make the trip up to his shop.

-Rudy
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

we've done it for our other cars, and plan on adding it to the new one. the main part where it could become "visible" is the line on the hood. if you aren't careful and wax directly over that area, you could get wax buildup resulting in a white line across the car. if you're careful, it looks fine.

i think they're still around, but we've had aerotect.net (francisco) install them for us in the past. pricing has been around $700ish for front bumper, part of the hood, front fenders, headlights, foglights, side mirrors. they started out as an aviation based company (putting clear bras on small prop planes, etc.) and expanded to include cars.

i want the clear bra on the top of the rear bumper too, to avoid any scratches from taking stuff in/out of the back.

you could always get custom stuff done, if you want your entire hood covered rather than just the front 1/3, etc.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fredlikes

1. Where did you get it?
2. Does it work well?

Thanks.
I did it for my 2010 Audi Q5. It was probably the best investment for my car. Prior to the clear bra, my car had a few rock chips at the front and my car is a lava grey color. You need to make sure you find a good installer. I found a very good installer and they made shield virtually invisible. I did the entire front of the car including hood, head/fog lights and bumper. 3m for the hood and venture shield for the rest.

I should have had this done when I first purchased my car and that being said, I have never had any blemishes on the car ever since.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

topgun77, how much for the entire job? and where ?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mpraju
topgun77, how much for the entire job? and where ?
I am from Canada, B.C. I had it done for around $650 CAD. I works like a charm. Here is their website: vancouverclearbra.com. There are lots resources, explanations, and also pictures to look at.

Quick Reply: Invisible plastic shield for front of Q5?