Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Invisible plastic shield for front of Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another satisfied owner here. We have it on the front bumper, partoal hood and fenders, side mirrors, rear bumper top lip, and panels behind the wheels. This cost about mid-$700's if I rember right. Not a ding or dent since. As mentioned in an earlier post, the most visible line is along the hood. A casual glance head on might not even be noticed. Looking at it from the side and rear (say you're right by the front tire), it's a bit more noticeable. But IMHO, that's far outweighed by the protection it gives. I'm actually kicking myself that I didn't do the headlights. I'll have to go back to the installer one of theae days.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

can you still wax the car the same as you would if you didn't have
Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by windyctyaudi
can you still wax the car the same as you would if you didn't have
Yes you can. It's recommended in fact. I try to get rid of any bug splats within a day - just use detailer spray for this.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by deznuts05
I would look for a user called "detailersdomain" on this forum or just google it.

I haven't had any of his work but he posts his work often enough to make me want to make the trip up to his shop.

-Rudy
They stopped doing PPF. I emailed Phil a few weeks ago as I was looking into this.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gat821
Yes you can. It's recommended in fact. I try to get rid of any bug splats within a day - just use detailer spray for this.
Good point. Certain bugs can discolor the film if not addressed timely.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821

That's what my installer suggested as well, worked well thus far
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got mine done. And it is fantastic. My mother has all her Show Cobra Mustanges done ( a variety of colors) you can see a little bit of a line, but you really got to look for it and know it is there. I got the 1/3 hood, front lights, side mirrors for 500$ in houston. I got a lil deal since the shop i used has done business with my mom.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm getting wildly varying rates from 2 installers in Dallas. Any recommendations in the DFW area?

One of them who is an authorized installer for 3M quoted me about 350 for hood(partial), fender, mirrors, lights.

The other does installs for all the dealerships around town( lexus, porsche, audi, bmw etc).. and they quoted me 1300 for the full hood, fender, mirrors and lights.

I'm inclined to go with the 3M product especially since its an authorized installer.

the 3M website says that the US DOT does not allow any films to be applied on headlights.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mpraju
I'm getting wildly varying rates from 2 installers in Dallas. Any recommendations in the DFW area?

One of them who is an authorized installer for 3M quoted me about 350 for hood(partial), fender, mirrors, lights.

The other does installs for all the dealerships around town( lexus, porsche, audi, bmw etc).. and they quoted me 1300 for the full hood, fender, mirrors and lights.

I'm inclined to go with the 3M product especially since its an authorized installer.

the 3M website says that the US DOT does not allow any films to be applied on headlights.
When I was shopping around, I also got some lowball prices like that. At least in my case, it turned out to be a mobile installer. He even said he could do it at my office's parking lot. Seems to me that applying these films shouldn't be done in uncontrolled environments. At least do it indoors! Also felt better going with an installer with an actual facility that's been around awhile that I could go back to for any issues.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the tip. In my case.. the lower cost option is actually a recommended 3M installer on the 3M website.

Quick Reply: Invisible plastic shield for front of Q5?