Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Invisible plastic shield for front of Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpraju
Thanks for the tip. In my case.. the lower cost option is actually a recommended 3M installer on the 3M website.
If I remember right, the mobile installer was also an authorized 3M installer. It might just be me being hesitant on mobile installers. If there are others who've gone this route before with good results, please comment.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd avoid mobile installers as well. Do you really want to risk dust, pollen or other things getting trapped under the film during outdoor application?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

had my car done this past weekend from an auth 3M installer that we trust. they've done 3 of our cars in the past. love it!

now the new computer cuts allow a little extra material for the edges to be wrapped when possible (compared to a couple years ago), so it looks even cleaner. i had the partial hood, front bumper (painted parts only), partial front fenders, side mirrors, headlamps, foglamps, door edges, door cups, rear trunk sill, and small custom pieces cut for the sides (side moldings, by the back of the front wheel wells) to help w/ road debris kicking up since i don't have mud guards.

due to the recent window tinting and clear bra install, the car's a bit dirty. i'll post up some pics once it's clean.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

How much did that cost you?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How much did that cost you?
$730. i know i could have found a cheaper price somewhere else, but i knew these guys were good and i trust them. i was willing to pay a premium for that.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thundercloud
$730. i know i could have found a cheaper price somewhere else, but i knew these guys were good and i trust them. i was willing to pay a premium for that.
You did well. I was quoted $1,030 for the same job, I'm still looking for a better price though. In Orange County everything is more expensive!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Acapulco
You did well. I was quoted $1,030 for the same job, I'm still looking for a better price though. In Orange County everything is more expensive!
i live in orange county, but the place is up near the pomona fairplex. i'm usually willing to drive to go to ppl i trust.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thundercloud

That's a great price IMO. I just had mine done a couple of weeks ago at an auth 3M dealer and paid $825 for the following:

Lower Bumper Kit and an Upper Bumper kit, which includes the hood, fenders, and the mirrors. The rear bumper does not have an available kit so it was done separately using a 12 inch roll
Old 12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

did you guys see any of the "orange peel" effect that many of the forums seem to mention. I've read that the 3M gives superior protection but exhibits an orange peel effect. Ventureshield (also owned by 3M now) has a thinner sheet but is supposed to be better and has a lifetime warranty.

Are you happy with the 3M?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

did you guys see any of the "orange peel" effect that many of the forums seem to mention. I've read that the 3M gives superior protection but exhibits an orange peel effect. Ventureshield (also owned by 3M now) has a thinner sheet but is supposed to be better and has a lifetime warranty.

Are you happy with the 3M?
my husband's 2001 Lexus had 3M put on originally back in '01, which didn't have any orange peel effect, but did end up turning yellow due to the old adhesive that was used. the car was diamond white pearl, hence why we could tell it was yellow. the same lexus had 3M put on a JDM bodykit back in 2006/2007 and it was fine. no orange peel effect at all.

the s2000 (installed in early 2009) and the q5 (recently done) both have ventureshield. like you mentioned, 3M bought ventureshield. no issues with the s2000 at all. i don't anticipate any issues with the q5, but i'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Invisible plastic shield for front of Q5?