Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Iphone connection too short

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by statusquo
Which vent clip did you purchase?
It's the Kensington SoundWave that I used on my previous car. You could definitely find slimmer solutions online.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ku Xiong
Hey Dennis man, thanks a lot. I agree with you that being able to charge the phone is helpful, although you will have a wire coming out of the glove box and even not sure how the glove box will be closed tight or not.

Given that said, is there any particular type of Iphone connection that only works with Audi? Does sth like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Charge-Audio-E...hone+extension
This cable should work..

I would rather have a black cable. I ordered this one. I will report back in a few days.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I followed these direction below (to some extent) to route the cord behind the glovebox and through the center console. This guy has the cord coming up the side of the center stack. I chose to run it up behind the climate controls and cut an unseen slot above where the sliding ash tray is. That way the cord lines perfectly to my vent mounted iPhone cradle. If I want to hide the cord. I simply push it back through the hole and you end up only seeing the 30-pin connector barely sticking out. Since its black, you hardly notice its there.

Mods, sorry for linking to another forum. Delete my post if you feel fit.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/audi-a5-s...rerouting.html
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ku Xiong
Hi folks, I have a already set up line for my iphone connection to the media at glove box. But it is very short so it is very difficult for the driver to plug in/off the iphone from the driver seat. I often need my friend to do it for me.

I wonder whether I can extend that line from glove box to be around the cup holder so I can use it even while driving. But of course it might look crappy cuz there will be a line hanging around through the passenger seat side.

Do you have similar problem and experience?

Thanks a lot!
You can do what others mentioned as well as what I did. I bought

http://www.cablejive.com/products/do...FZSd4AodLXQAgw

and ran it from the glove box, behind some trim and up and out of the arm rest storage box. I did not want my phone mounted. I get in the car plug my phone in and either drop it in the cup holder or most of the time put it between my thigh and the seat. Its an old habbit I have from my convertable days. Lets me feel the vibration of the phone when the radio is up high! Also when I have a passenger with an Iphone it is simple for them to grab the cable and charge. If im not using the cable I simply tuck it back into the arm rest. It is VERY clean and requires just a little bit of work to do it.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after all that, the bluetooth adapter does not work with my setup...wish I had known this before lol.

looks like I will be running the wire today however I'm not taking apart the car either, I'll find a way through the back of the glove box, tuck it in a little donw by the bottom of the console, and have it come up to the cupholer area.....

still funny that we don't have bluetooth streaming built it? how can that be on a $40k car when everything else on the market has it built in...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

How did you run it through the back of the glove box. i looked this morning and there is no opening to run the wire through. did you cut/drill an opening in the back??

Originally Posted by foobs
I'm running the DockXtender extension cable and snaked it through behind the glovebox then through the center console. I have my iPhone mounted via a vent clip so I can easily access my Navigation app, iTunes and pandora.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

how did you get it out of the glove box? there are no openings...

Originally Posted by loontoons
You can do what others mentioned as well as what I did. I bought

http://www.cablejive.com/products/do...FZSd4AodLXQAgw

and ran it from the glove box, behind some trim and up and out of the arm rest storage box. I did not want my phone mounted. I get in the car plug my phone in and either drop it in the cup holder or most of the time put it between my thigh and the seat. Its an old habbit I have from my convertable days. Lets me feel the vibration of the phone when the radio is up high! Also when I have a passenger with an Iphone it is simple for them to grab the cable and charge. If im not using the cable I simply tuck it back into the arm rest. It is VERY clean and requires just a little bit of work to do it.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I Did drill a hole in the corner of the glove box. It wasnt bad, Pretty simple. then I tucked it under the trim and up into the armrest storage area. If you want some pics email me loontoons at aol