Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Iphone directory won't load

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone directory won't load

I have a new q5 and a new iphone 4s (ios5). The bluetooth connects with the car and calling and even siri seem to work (it thinks it is connected in a call to my number for siri).

However, the directory from my phone isn't loading. The dealer says it should happen automatically. I don't see a way to do it manually.

Any advice.

PS. See my other posts on my opinion of Siri
Old 10-27-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure your bluetooth settings on your iphone have sync contacts turned on.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by radman2020
I have a new q5 and a new iphone 4s (ios5). The bluetooth connects with the car and calling and even siri seem to work (it thinks it is connected in a call to my number for siri).

However, the directory from my phone isn't loading. The dealer says it should happen automatically. I don't see a way to do it manually.

Any advice.

PS. See my other posts on my opinion of Siri
I've seen issues with iPhone directories loading when customers have duplicate entries or have a multitude of entries. I'd say if you have a 100 or less it should load. You can also try doing a hard restart on the phone (holding down the circular button on the face and the sleep button at the top right until the screen blacks out and the Apple logo reappears). You can also try rebooting the MMI system by holding down the setup button, scroll button, and the top right soft key right off the scroll button for about 7-10 seconds.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the advice. I have syn on. I will try the hard reboot. As far as less than 100 contacts, who has that. I have hundreds...

I am wondering if anyone else has a iphone 4 or 4s with ios5. Is it working for you?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. I have syn on. I will try the hard reboot. As far as less than 100 contacts, who has that. I have hundreds...

I am wondering if anyone else has a iphone 4 or 4s with ios5. Is it working for you?
I have iPhone 4 and iOS 5. It works fine for me. Again, make sure that Bluetooth settings are correct on both the phone and the Q5.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BayGBM
I have iPhone 4 and iOS 5. It works fine for me. Again, make sure that Bluetooth settings are correct on both the phone and the Q5.
Not too many settings to go wrong on the audi that I can see. It should import automatically. I definitely have it set to sync on the iphone. Shouldn't be the hardware so there shouldn't be a diff between 4 and 4s. Thanks for confirming that it does work with ios5. Now I just have to figure out what is wrong with my setup.

Prob will go to a Galaxy anyway....
Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default iphone directory won't load - solved!

Not too many settings to go wrong on the audi that I can see. It should import automatically. I definitely have it set to sync on the iphone. Shouldn't be the hardware so there shouldn't be a diff between 4 and 4s. Thanks for confirming that it does work with ios5. Now I just have to figure out what is wrong with my setup.

Prob will go to a Galaxy anyway....
Went through and fixed contact entries that had text in number fields and other wrong entries. I only went through C in my directory with several hundred untouched... but it was enough. They all now load.

It seems to load my icloud and gmail contacts. Everything is duplicated. I can live with that.

Also, the voice recognition (now that I can use it to search the directory) cannot seem to get the word "fox" (a last name) no matter how I pronounce it. I am going to do the training. I hope that works.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Problems loading contacts from iPhone 4 into Q5 idrectlr

Went through and fixed contact entries that had text in number fields and other wrong entries. I only went through C in my directory with several hundred untouched... but it was enough. They all now load.

It seems to load my icloud and gmail contacts. Everything is duplicated. I can live with that.

Also, the voice recognition (now that I can use it to search the directory) cannot seem to get the word "fox" (a last name) no matter how I pronounce it. I am going to do the training. I hope that works.
@Radman - can you be more specific in what you mean by correcting items with "text in the number fields"? My iPhone 4 used to work just fine with my Audi Q5...and then in August it just stopped. The actual pairing will work, and I can make calls...however, none of my contacts will enter, so I can't use handsfree dialing. I've gone to the apple store and had my phone restored to original settings. Other than getting a new phone (which I will try) what worked for you?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alana Steingold Widdess
@Radman - can you be more specific in what you mean by correcting items with "text in the number fields"? My iPhone 4 used to work just fine with my Audi Q5...and then in August it just stopped. The actual pairing will work, and I can make calls...however, none of my contacts will enter, so I can't use handsfree dialing. I've gone to the apple store and had my phone restored to original settings. Other than getting a new phone (which I will try) what worked for you?
You should try to unpare the phone and repare it again.

I also think where the contact list is stored is a issue. whether it is on the phone, sd card etc.

That said I could not get my Samsung Captivate to work right but my new Skyrocket is perfect