Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

iPod Charging and Nav Update Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Charging and Nav Update Questions

I did some searches for these but can't get any definitive answers. Hopefully you guys can help:

1. I have an 80 GB iPod i don't use anymore so I put it in the glovebox of my 3 day old Q5 and plan on leaving it there. My question is this, if I leave it plugged in all the time, will it drain the battery? Or conversely, will the Q5 drain the iPod? I know if I leave my iPhone plugged in to a computer that is shut off, it will drain the iPhone.

2. When and how do you update the Nav system? Although it's brand new, there are streets that are not correct near my house. They are fairly new streets, in fact, they are incorrect on my Garmin Nuvi. Just wondering when an update will be out, if I'll be notified, and also if it will cost me.

Thanks for your time,

phxflyboy
Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phxflyboy
I did some searches for these but can't get any definitive answers. Hopefully you guys can help:

1. I have an 80 GB iPod i don't use anymore so I put it in the glovebox of my 3 day old Q5 and plan on leaving it there. My question is this, if I leave it plugged in all the time, will it drain the battery? Or conversely, will the Q5 drain the iPod? I know if I leave my iPhone plugged in to a computer that is shut off, it will drain the iPhone.

2. When and how do you update the Nav system? Although it's brand new, there are streets that are not correct near my house. They are fairly new streets, in fact, they are incorrect on my Garmin Nuvi. Just wondering when an update will be out, if I'll be notified, and also if it will cost me.

Thanks for your time,

phxflyboy
Before, when Navigation was DVD based NAVTEQ release ones a year new version for $199 fee. I steal have 2004 original disk in my wife car. Two reasons - 1st an most important - for Acura DVD is copy protected. Second - Every year I check what's update include for my city and state - and there was nothing to justify spend $199.
For BMW - different story - I have latest disk for 2009.
Now, from this year BMW move to HD version (as Audi also) and I belive there will be only one way - go to your dealer and for fee (and I will spekulate this $199 + dialler fee ) you will update your navigation.
I also think that there will be not only navigation update - but new version of software with bag fixing and introduction to new software gliches.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No problems with dedicated Ipod...

... I leave a dedicated Ipod connected to the AMI in the glove compartment all the time (except for an occasional sync every now and then) and this has yet to discharge the Q5 or the Ipod. I believe all Q5 power shuts down minutes after you remove the key fob.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Loophole
... I leave a dedicated Ipod connected to the AMI in the glove compartment all the time (except for an occasional sync every now and then) and this has yet to discharge the Q5 or the Ipod. I believe all Q5 power shuts down minutes after you remove the key fob.
I can confirm this per Audi of America. All of the Q5's electrical systems shut down when the key is taken out of the ignition (or turned off in the case of the advanced key) and front door opened. It's apparently the same on/off that is used to power all of the accessory ports (which all gain/lose power the same way).
Old 05-26-2009, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well this is a hard drive based nav. I imagine they'll do an annual update on it. It'd be a dealer thing unless someone pirates the software and we figure out if it's a VAGCOM thing or what.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I haven't taken the iPod out of the glove box for the 2 months I have had the car. No problems at all.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default And it's a noisy shutdown!

My Q5 makes more clicking and whirring sounds when it is shutting down various components than any vehicle I've been around. Very audible when you get out and listen inside the garage. This is my first Audi, maybe they all do it, but for comparison my previous two SUVs were BMW X5's and they made a quiet click or two, but nothing like this. Hope I'm not the only one who hears all these sounds. Not a problem, just strange to me!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

You guys are awesome, thanks for the info! Maybe I should have specified that I was posting that at 11:00 at night on a holiday weekend, thus my not contacting my dealer with the questions first.

I did, however, just get off the phone with my dealer and they confirmed, sort of, the iPod question. The Nav question they are unsure about. The service guy said I should have a DVD that came with the car, the salesperson said it is the first Audi with a Nav that does NOT come with a DVD, because of the hard driver based system, as a couple of you accurately pointed out.

I've got a few more questions but I'm going to do another thread so I don't confuse anyone.

Thanks again,

phxflyboy
Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Loophole
My Q5 makes more clicking and whirring sounds when it is shutting down various components than any vehicle I've been around. Very audible when you get out and listen inside the garage. This is my first Audi, maybe they all do it, but for comparison my previous two SUVs were BMW X5's and they made a quiet click or two, but nothing like this. Hope I'm not the only one who hears all these sounds. Not a problem, just strange to me!
This is my first Audi as well and I noticed the exact same thing. Sounds like a spaceship shutting down.

phxflyboy
Old 05-26-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup, no DVD for this car. Hard drive based system means the updates are through a computer. Must plug in car to system for software updates and that is how it will be done. But I doubt there is a more updated version than what you have right now. Usually takes around a year for new streets to show up.

Quick Reply: iPod Charging and Nav Update Questions