Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

IPod Volume

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPod Volume

I am finding my IPod Volume to be lower then Sirius...Is that normal? My last car the Ipod was louder...Is there a setting I should be changing?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kmgoldberg
I am finding my IPod Volume to be lower then Sirius...Is that normal? My last car the Ipod was louder...Is there a setting I should be changing?
Kinda hard to tell. Are you comparing the same song on Sirius vs. on your IPOd?
Maybe it's how you encoded the songs and the bitrate you used that could impact it.

There isn't a setting that I'm aware of to solve your problems...
Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm assuming you're using the AMI to connect your iPod. In which case the volume should be the same for iPod, AM/FM, Sirius, etc. (at least it is on mine for both iPhone and 5th gen iPod). Try turning on Sound Check on your iPod. That might equalize sound levels of the mp3's and bring it closer to normal.

If that still doesn't work, try adjusting the volume from the steering wheel controls to try and equalize them. It might remember the different volume levels for different sources (not sure though).
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is this for all songs? It's possible that a certain file(s) was ripped at a lower volume for some reason. There's a setting in iTunes to raise the volume of a given track if you right-click it and go into the properties of it. I use this only when one song sounds lower than other songs in my collection.

In the car, my iPod and Sirius are at the same volume.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I figured it out...there is a volume setting for the Auxilary which is the Ipod (or Iphone) it was set to the middle setting...I raised to max...The system is solid...Thanks for your help!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm surprised you can compare the sound from your ipod and sirius radio. The sound quality of my sirius radio is horrible compared with the ipod. I know the bit rate is much lower for satellite radio, but I just came from an Acura TL that had xm radio and the sound quality wasn't this bad. I assume you all are also seeing worse sound quality.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't liked Sirius sound quality in any vehicle so far. It's not bad in the Q5, but not as good as an iPod or CD, that's for sure. I find satellite radio sounds a bit tinny, and you hear the compression at times.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a bunch for your post. I could never figure out why my iPod played at such a lower volume than Sirius until you mentioned the aux setting. Just went out in the garage and set it to max! Can't wait 2 crank it up on my way to work tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You bet...This place is the best resource for learning the MMI...
Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is this option available to non-Nav models or am I just a noob? I can't find this option. More details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: IPod Volume