Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Jean Stains

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jean Stains

Hey guys,

Yesterday, I started to notice that the driver's seat has jean stains on it. Since my leather is lightly colored (Cardamom Beige) the stain is starting to get pretty noticeable. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know of a way to clean the stains?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a big problem with this too. I like to wear dark denim and it transfers pretty easy so I figured I would have to start putting something on the seat on which to sit. The dealer has had a little success getting the dye off but usually there is still some left behind. I have tried a few recommended products here and have not had success at all.

This past weekend I had to get the car washed (the service department is closed on weekends) and a random hand-wash place down the street got every trace of dye off the leather. I didn't realize it until a day later so I did not ask what they used, but I will find out the next time I notice the dye building up again. (They did a crap a$$ job of washing the car though so I will probably only have them treat the leather)
Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem in my previous Q5 with the light grey interior. I know it's not a recommended cleaning product, and many on this site will frown upon it, but what I found worked best was the Method brand leather cleaning wipes that are sold at Target, and at methodhome.com. I tried everything else, but a couple wipes with one of those, and off the dye came. I would have to clean the seats at least once a week to keep them presentable.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kbilicki
This past weekend I had to get the car washed (the service department is closed on weekends) and a random hand-wash place down the street got every trace of dye off the leather. I didn't realize it until a day later so I did not ask what they used, but I will find out the next time I notice the dye building up again. (They did a crap a$$ job of washing the car though so I will probably only have them treat the leather)
Thanks! I was also thinking about getting seat covers. I'll keep doing some research and post if I find anything useful.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is why we went with black leather for our Q5. Our Jeep has a light interior and the drivers seat is severely blue from jeans...
Old 12-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have cardamom beige seats as well. I am using Lexol 1115 Leather pH cleaner (http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-1115-Lea...3051519&sr=1-1) and it works great. Use once a week and the leather looks like new!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, our dealer said that they had a show model that was at some event with Beige and afterwards the seats were nearly blue due to all the people sliding in and out of the car over a 3 day span.

Highly recommend Lexol leather conditioner and cleaner, though not sure if it'll get out those particular stains or not.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clepto
Yeah, our dealer said that they had a show model that was at some event with Beige and afterwards the seats were nearly blue due to all the people sliding in and out of the car over a 3 day span.

Highly recommend Lexol leather conditioner and cleaner, though not sure if it'll get out those particular stains or not.
I have the lexol products as well, and also recommend them, however, for the amount of, almost daily, cleaning required to keep the lighter leather Audi interiors looking good, Lexol wasn't the best for that. Like I posted before, leather wipes you can keep in the trunk, or floor of the backseat, work wonders. Some leave a gunky slimy coating after using, which is why I liked the Method leather love wipes. They smell pleasant, and leave no icky residue after use.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try using woolite mix with water, half and half. That is what is recommanded for my other car.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use the leather upholstery cleaner I purchased for my Ford seats; bought it at the dealer and it works great. No residue or foul smell.

Quick Reply: Jean Stains