Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Jerk going into 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerk going into 1st gear

Are we suposed to feel a jerk as were slowing the car to a stop as the trans shifts to 1st gear? Is the trans suposed to be jerky at all or should it be smooth to where you really can't feel it or wouldn't notice it?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherman's Audi
Are we suposed to feel a jerk as were slowing the car to a stop as the trans shifts to 1st gear? Is the trans suposed to be jerky at all or should it be smooth to where you really can't feel it or wouldn't notice it?
I feel it everytime I move from a stop or start slowing down to a stop. To me it seems like the computer doesn't know when to shift.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very common question and one that has been discussed at length. Check out this thread for lots of discussion.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2777509
Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh oh. You complained about the radio not having an on/off switch and now look what happened. If you crank up the bass maybe you won't feel it.

My Saab did this and they claimed it was normal operation. The first time I stopped in the Q5 I rejoiced at the smooth downshift to a stop. That type of jerk is annoying. Hopefully yours will work itself out.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i noticed our Q5 tranny (6spd) hates first gear. it tries to shift out of it as soon as possible and then when you slow down to crawl it doesn't shift into first until you come to a complete stop. Its kind of like a stick car. only use first gear to pull off, if ur rolling, you can use second.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine gets fixed by a software update, at least dealer said so. It fixed 95% of jerky downshift, but sometimes it still does "double kicks" when downshift from 2nd gear to 1st gear. I hope it is not coming back.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe it's not so much of a jerk but more of a thump. It's very consistant. It happens just before you come to a complete stop. So again, is this normal? Please post and let me know.

Last edited by Sherman's Audi; 04-06-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's not so much of a jerk but more of a thump. It's very consistant. It happens just before you come to a complete stop. So again, is this normal? Please post and let me know.
I am on my second Q5 (I know, I'm crazy) My first one did it and it eventually went away. I had forgotten about it completely. Now the new one does it as well. I'm not sure it is "normal", but they all seem to do it. FYI, my mom just got a 2010 Infiniti, and hers does it as well. Just let your service advisor know, and you never know, there could be a software update to correct it. But it does seem that it goes away after a while.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The transmssion needs a break in period just like the engine, give it a 5000 thousand miles and it should smooth out a bit. The Q5's transmssion behaves almost like a stick shift, so if you are expecting it to be smooth like a Lexus, it will never happen.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I never noticed that in mine when I was in Europe. Maybe it only happens in States My BMW doesnt like the first gear either: the ratio is so short it hardly ever shifts into 1st, unless I manually downshift. Anyway, give it some time for gears to break-in.

Quick Reply: Jerk going into 1st gear