Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Jerk going into 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The transmssion needs a break in period just like the engine, give it a 5000 thousand miles and it should smooth out a bit. The Q5's transmssion behaves almost like a stick shift, so if you are expecting it to be smooth like a Lexus, it will never happen.

I know I will be " flamed " for posting but I have never heard of
a transmission " breaking in ", I have owned BMW and Mercedes and I have never experienced IMO such a transmission that "bumped" and lurched, I had 3000 miles on mine before the
mechatronics was replaced and it did not get better, it got worse, I had a Q7 as a loaner and that was as smooth as can be,
also an A4, I am sure that if people were informed from the beginning to expect bumps and lurches, then the question is , How many people would still have made the purchase? Again I have nothing against Audi and maybe one day will try another one and yes the majority of people on this forum are good people, this is a public forum and it is not my intention to fan the flames
so yes Billy Pete, do not call me a troll!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

LOL,, cant stay away can you? You know you have Audi in your blood Ductman, and your MDX will never satisfy you. cheers
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by billypete
LOL,, cant stay away can you? You know you have Audi in your blood Ductman, and your MDX will never satisfy you. cheers
Actually you are right, sort of, I loved my 2002 a6 2.7t, just hated going to the dealership weekly, that one lasted 33000 miles, actually I am happy with my MDX knowing I can check the oil with a dipstick, no carbon issues, and the torque vectoring
rear differential that allows me to take offramps with ease, hey, it's all on good fun though.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ductman
I have never heard of
a transmission " breaking in
If you don’t think a transmission needs a break in period, then you are just not a very mechanical person. All things mechanical with machined parts needs a break in period, some more or than others depending on factory tolerance.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... and the torque vectoring
rear differential that allows me to take offramps with ease, hey, it's all on good fun though.

Your Acura sales man earned big time their salary with that BS.

Honda / Acura is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE based system and rear wheels kick in when revolution difference is detected.

From stand still acceleration Honda/Acura is able to convey ONLY 40% to rear axle as their clutch system is not capable to convey the power so the torque vectoring must be really good when the rear wheels are just rolling along

So far cars using Haldex are only ones able to have 50/50% distribution.

Mechical drives are another story and don't get me started with dipstick, I didn't have it on my Beemer bike nor last cars, com' on people are we still at stoneage
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Your Acura sales man earned big time their salary with that BS.

Honda / Acura is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE based system and rear wheels kick in when revolution difference is detected.

From stand still acceleration Honda/Acura is able to convey ONLY 40% to rear axle as their clutch system is not capable to convey the power so the torque vectoring must be really good when the rear wheels are just rolling along

So far cars using Haldex are only ones able to have 50/50% distribution.

Mechical drives are another story and don't get me started with dipstick, I didn't have it on my Beemer bike nor last cars, com' on people are we still at stoneage

HAHAHAHA! You're funny. :-)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you don’t think a transmission needs a break in period, then you are just not a very mechanical person. All things mechanical with machined parts needs a break in period, some more or than others depending on factory tolerance.
I fully understand mechanicals, IMo the issue that some of the Q5 owners are having seems to be more of a software issue than a mechanical issue, if one spends 25k or 50k on a brand new vehicle one would not expect "bumping or lurching " nor should it be tolerated no matter what brand of vehicle it is, " they all do it" is not a valid excuse, especially when some are having the issue and some are not and yes it is a safety issue
when merging into traffic and the vehicle hesitates, not a comfort issue. The automotive world is far from perfect but when
issues become more than isolated action needs to be taken.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ductman
I fully understand mechanicals, IMo the issue that some of the Q5 owners are having seems to be more of a software issue than a mechanical issue, if one spends 25k or 50k on a brand new vehicle one would not expect "bumping or lurching " nor should it be tolerated no matter what brand of vehicle it is, " they all do it" is not a valid excuse, especially when some are having the issue and some are not and yes it is a safety issue
when merging into traffic and the vehicle hesitates, not a comfort issue. The automotive world is far from perfect but when
issues become more than isolated action needs to be taken.

Isn't there an Acura board you can go to now? LOL

Seriously though, I think you are taking this WAY too seriously. Maybe your Q5 had a larger issue than anyone else here, but my "issue" is not that serious and certainly not a safety issue. You can call it what you want, but you're way off. Mine only does this as I am coming to a stop, and it is really not major at all. And like I said, once the car was through the break in period, it went away.

I had a BMW prior to this car, and I had a LEGITIMATE lemon law claim. I went through 4 fuel pumps in less than a year, among other issue like electrical. Don't you think that if this issue were at all serious, that I would have been a little more gun shy to buy a SECOND Q5? Yes, I am on my second one. It's a great car and I can honestly say that this "issue" as you call it, is not really an issue for me. The squeak in the back seat is more irritating.

You see, the Q5 is a drivers car. And the MDX is, well, much like a lexus in that it is a car for people who like to be comfortable but don't really care about the dynamics of the car. I looked at them all before I bought my Q5, and the Acura bored me to tears. Hello! Honda anyone? Is the Acura reliable? Yes, of course it is. You'll be comfortable in that car for a long time to come, unless you die of boredom first.

So I say to you, enjoy your Honda. I really wish you the best with it. Seriously, all in fun. If you can talk smack about the car we love, expect the same in return. Enjoy your day.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Isn't there an Acura board you can go to now? LOL

Seriously though, I think you are taking this WAY too seriously. Maybe your Q5 had a larger issue than anyone else here, but my "issue" is not that serious and certainly not a safety issue. You can call it what you want, but you're way off. Mine only does this as I am coming to a stop, and it is really not major at all. And like I said, once the car was through the break in period, it went away.

I had a BMW prior to this car, and I had a LEGITIMATE lemon law claim. I went through 4 fuel pumps in less than a year, among other issue like electrical. Don't you think that if this issue were at all serious, that I would have been a little more gun shy to buy a SECOND Q5? Yes, I am on my second one. It's a great car and I can honestly say that this "issue" as you call it, is not really an issue for me. The squeak in the back seat is more irritating.

You see, the Q5 is a drivers car. And the MDX is, well, much like a lexus in that it is a car for people who like to be comfortable but don't really care about the dynamics of the car. I looked at them all before I bought my Q5, and the Acura bored me to tears. Hello! Honda anyone? Is the Acura reliable? Yes, of course it is. You'll be comfortable in that car for a long time to come, unless you die of boredom first.

So I say to you, enjoy your Honda. I really wish you the best with it. Seriously, all in fun. If you can talk smack about the car we love, expect the same in return. Enjoy your day.
I wouldn"t expect anything less than smack talk in return, enjoy
your Volkswagon.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hehe, This thread is a great read.
Ducktman you are slowly turning those who felt sorry for you and your transmission issue against you, now they wish youd just die of boredom! lol.
Seriously tho, I have had no, none, nada, read zero issues with my Q5 and its tranny. It does not lurch clunk or any of the above issues, It must be like the ones they let you test drive with no issues! I love it
GO AUDI!

Quick Reply: Jerk going into 1st gear