Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Jerk going into 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the article, for the record

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Depends how do we twist this around....

Sure A4 is front wheel drive based if it is sold as 2wd drive meaning it is FWD.

But when it is sold as awd, it is mechanical Torsen and current one is rear biased 40/60 while older are 50/50.

Also this gets more complicated if we start looking where is the transmission and front differential.

Like MB and Beemer, they have own tranny / own rear diff / own front diff / own transfercase to distribute the power between front and rear.

Audi and VW haves front differential in the transmission that is common for front wheel driven cars but there ends the similarity with fwd.

Normal fwd based awd system drives front diff first and then power is conveyed via hydraulic clutch (Haldex or alike) to rear and there is no mechanical middle differential at all.

Audi (and few specific VW's) with Torsen works the way power from tranny goes through hollow shaft to torsen body and through its gearing it shares the power between front and rear. Front is fed by smaller shaft inside the hollow going back to front and rear is "normal" shaft configuration.

I wish I saved the detailed cut-out from whole thing as it is more clear than any of my explanations

Last edited by kleinbus; 04-07-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well it's obvious you know more than me, so I'll just shut up. ;-) I just drive it and know it does well in the snow. That's all that matters to me.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This video explains the new Quattro quite well:
http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-the-quattro-principle/

----------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
FYI, completely agree with you about the controls. While I love my Q5, I hate MMI.
I think the MMI is a very intutive system, the new i-drive is not too bad, very similar to the MMI. Both system is better than the MDX's space shuttle dash board with way too many buttons, switches and *****. Just looking at the MDX's dash gives me a headache.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think the MMI is a very intutive system, the new i-drive is not too bad, very similar to the MMI. Both system is better than the MDX's space shuttle dash board with way too many buttons, switches and *****. Just looking at the MDX's dash gives me a headache.
Actually, I had a 2008 BMW 535, so my iDrive was the previous generation. Leaps and bounds better than both the new iDrive and MMI. Less buttons, less complicated, less task to get from one things to the other. It was a VERY easy system, and I could never figure out how people never really figured out how to use it.

Want radio, one push to the left. Want nav, one push to the right, want climate, one push up. Really, I never had to look down to change anything. With MMI, I have to go to radio, then if I want presets, I have to hit presets. It's just a lot of motions on MMI. I've had much better.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
How about now ? Headache ?
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ductman
How about now ? Headache ?
Looks really nice. Not too busy at all. I really like the ZDX. I know it's funky, but I really like it.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Looks really nice. Not too busy at all. I really like the ZDX. I know it's funky, but I really like it.
Shame about your 535, I almost got my wife a 535xi, I heard about the horror stories with the high pressure fuel pumps failing multiple times, I do remember driving the 535 and was really impressed with the power and yes I found the I drive not too complicated as others have complained about, of course this was a
2009, I believe the I drive was somewhat " simplified " then.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ductman
Shame about your 535, I almost got my wife a 535xi, I heard about the horror stories with the high pressure fuel pumps failing multiple times, I do remember driving the 535 and was really impressed with the power and yes I found the I drive not too complicated as others have complained about, of course this was a
2009, I believe the I drive was somewhat " simplified " then.
They added a few buttons in 2009, but did not change the interface. So technically, it was the same as my 2008. The 2010 got the all new iDrive system. Haven't used it yet, but I really did like mine.

Quick Reply: Jerk going into 1st gear