Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Jolt at low speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jolt at low speeds...

Hi everyone. I noticed when driving/coasting at slow speeds(around 15mph) in a parking lot for example, when switching gears in "drive" it kinda jolts and you can feel it. Is this normal? It's a 2012 3.2 purchased about 3 weeks ago.......thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe it's just the transmission still learning your driving style. For a lot of people it goes away after about a month of driving. If it persists, you may want to go see the dealer.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jolt!

That's right. It happened to our 2010 we got in 9/2009. It goes away, but mention it anyway to the dealer at your free 5K service.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea, I'll definitely mention it to the dealer. The thing I noticed in my particular case is these symptoms have gotten progressively worse meaning before I could slightly feel it but now its an all-out jerk and can ever hear the jerk. Do you know more or less the general rule for "the learning your driving style" period? I'm at 1300 miles and as I was saying earlier, it has gotten progressively worse.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lalanik
Yea, I'll definitely mention it to the dealer. The thing I noticed in my particular case is these symptoms have gotten progressively worse meaning before I could slightly feel it but now its an all-out jerk and can ever hear the jerk. Do you know more or less the general rule for "the learning your driving style" period? I'm at 1300 miles and as I was saying earlier, it has gotten progressively worse.
Not sure if there is a "general rule" for this or even what the mysterious "learning" thing really is technically. I first noticed it in the car I test drove and mentioned it to the salesperson. She said she felt it too and would have a tech check the car when we got back. My 2011 3.2 P+ did it from day one, some days worse than others. Dealer said it was normal and that's about it, no explanation. Good thing the forum has all kinds of posts on this or I never would have known the possible cause. It finally stopped just recently at just over 10k miles. Downshifts very smoothly now. Must be a slow learner. Enjoy!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lalanik
I know this must be stressing you out. Who wants to spend nearly 50K on a car that appears to be having transmission problems.
However, it was forums like this and Edmunds that eased my mind about the "jerking". It was evident to us as we came to a stop light. Many have remarked that it took a nice long ride with the weight of several adults to cure the jerk. Others have said that a dealer software update helped greatly. In our case, it was the break-in period of between 10K and 15K where everything was just fine.
Our dealer in Northern New Jersey, services the car and then takes it for a test drive and car wash after service. This way the tech can notice or feel for any issues before handing the car back to you. Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"when switching gears in "drive" it kinda jolts " could be interpreted as YOU are manually changing gears, is that what is happening ?
or is that saying the auto is switching gears ?

if you are shifting and doing it at the exact 'wrong' time, any tranny can be in midshift and be confused... but bet that's not it...

is it during upshifts or downshifts ?

Most reports I've seen where when slowing and the tranny is downshifting to apply transmission slowing to the car...

for a very short time in our 8 speed auto, it seemed to downshift 'too soon' - at a higher rpm - and would slow too fast into the next lower gear, thus feeling like a bump....

but went away rather quickly - like 2k miles or so...

good luck, warranty and time will fix it

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 10-25-2011 at 04:45 AM.