Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Just noticed Q5 shifter has "D/S" and down arrow.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default I don't have ADS.....

Originally Posted by Mark P
Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate it!

The conversation does bring up the interesting question of how ADS "dynamic" transmission mode differs from "S" if at all. Does it?

If it's one in the same, then would setting ADS to Dynamic shifting mean that now D and S are both the same? Or could you tug on the shifter to get it out of S and into D? Effectively changing ADS to Comfort, momentarily.

Furthermore, if these are the same, then does that answer Bob's question about getting S by default by setting ADS to Dynamic? (assuming the Q5 in question has ADS)

Thanks!

Can you tell I'm getting ready for my car to arrive?

I just thought it would be nice to have the "transmission" S mode by default at startup. I realize it just a flick of the wrist to get into S mode, in fact, my statup is pull it into D and then pull again, once my brain locks on to this it will do it forever.

Also for all you owners that don't have the gear display enabled with the VAG-COM, I must say it's nice to see what gear you are in, and it's very interesting. In "S" mode, the trans doesn't go into 7th, or 8th gear often. In "D" mode it downshifts 2 gears just to pass a vehicle on the interstate with some slight throttle input. Plus it shows how the gears drop automatically when decending down a long hill and having your foot off the throttle, no need to manually downshift to engine brake the car.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dennis, I don't have ADS but this may work...

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I found this: http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/to...-drive-select/

I believe this VAG-COM mod will enable ADS and force the transmission into S mode.

"< AUDI DRIVE SELECT >
STEP 1
Access Hidden Menu
Select "car"
Select "cardevicelist"
Check Charisma
Press Return to go one menu back
Select "carmenuoperation"
Change Charisma from 0 to 5
Reset MMI

STEP2
[09 Cent. Elect.]
[Coding 07]
Longcoding Helper
Byte 7, bit 5 - change 0 to 1. * (tells car ADS is installed, Charisma fault generated)
Byte 8, bit 0 - change 0 to 1. *(changes gearbox to S mode)
Byte 8, bit 1 - change 0 to 1. * * (enables dynamic steering)
Byte 8, bit 2 - change 0 to 1. * (enables engine/gearbox) in menu
Byte 8, bit 4 - change 0 to 1. * (enables steering in menu) possibly not required?
Byte 17, bit 7- change 0 to 1. * *(enable MMI display)

[Security Access 16]
[Adaptation 10]
Channel 63 change value from 2 to 4. * *( changes from auto factory default to individual)
Channel 64 change value from 2 to 4
Channel 65 change value from 2 to 4
Channel 66 change value from 2 to 4

Enter Security code on the VCDS software pop up into the relevant box"

Hope this helps.

Dennis
I will try later today and report back.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven

SNIP

Of course though, the Tesla has no gears or transmission like a standard car. It works like an electric golf cart (on steroids).
Quite, but the gear stick can easily be removed and replaced with buttons or levers on the steering wheel/column. The gear box can still operate as it does now. There is no physical linkage between the gear lever and the modern gear boxes, compare to the gear boxes of old.

I recalled an old Valiant (somewhere in the '70s) with button gear selections. The modern day BMW ('12 328) has more of a joy stick that signals the gear box electronically what your intentions are. Even the Prius' gear level is more towards what I am describing.

Full deletion of the gear lever is well within the reach of modern cars.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I will try later today and report back.

Thanks!
Looking forward to your report.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just thought it would be nice to have the "transmission" S mode by default at startup. I realize it just a flick of the wrist to get into S mode, in fact, my statup is pull it into D and then pull again, once my brain locks on to this it will do it forever.

Also for all you owners that don't have the gear display enabled with the VAG-COM, I must say it's nice to see what gear you are in, and it's very interesting. In "S" mode, the trans doesn't go into 7th, or 8th gear often. In "D" mode it downshifts 2 gears just to pass a vehicle on the interstate with some slight throttle input. Plus it shows how the gears drop automatically when decending down a long hill and having your foot off the throttle, no need to manually downshift to engine brake the car.
Is there a thread with that vagcom change or, hopefully, all of them?

My A3 has that stock so I'd like to "keep" it
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's a start........

Is there a thread with that vagcom change or, hopefully, all of them?

My A3 has that stock so I'd like to "keep" it
I have a 2014 Q5 and so far found that all previous years codes seem to work fine....

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-complete-list
Old 08-11-2013, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I have a 2014 Q5 and so far found that all previous years codes seem to work fine....

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-complete-list

Oh, very cool - thanks. Looking down the list, this one jumps out at me - not for my cars but for others:

Enable Rear Tail Lights on with DRLs

I really despise car manufacturers that build cars with DRL and instrument cluster lights on. Idiots (and occasionally astute people that get tricked) think they have lights on at night and instead are driving along with only DRL and most every such car has no tail lights or side lighting on and they're going to get rear ended, etc.

So, I'm happy to see that option, despite that the people this smart to find and enable it in their car are likely not the ones with the issue.

Thanks for passing along the list - I wish each had a few sentence description though
Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Better listing with some meaningful text....

Oh, very cool - thanks. Looking down the list, this one jumps out at me - not for my cars but for others:

Enable Rear Tail Lights on with DRLs

I really despise car manufacturers that build cars with DRL and instrument cluster lights on. Idiots (and occasionally astute people that get tricked) think they have lights on at night and instead are driving along with only DRL and most every such car has no tail lights or side lighting on and they're going to get rear ended, etc.

So, I'm happy to see that option, despite that the people this smart to find and enable it in their car are likely not the ones with the issue.

Thanks for passing along the list - I wish each had a few sentence description though
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Very cool - thanks! The ventilation one helped understanding for sure.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not sure I understand what you are saying here. The S mode on the shifter in all Audis overrides the throttle and transmission gear mapping to "Dynamic" no matter what modes are set in the MMI for ADS. As to whether the D/S gear selector is different for 2013+ Q5 non-ADS equipped cars, I couldn't say. My reference point is the 2012+ C7 in which ADS is standard on all trims.
As to answering Mark's question about the "D/S up arrow", I believe my response was accurate.
Not sure about MY'12 and newer. Up to MY'11 if you have ADS then you have no selection of D and S using shifter. It is just single position D/S available and mode is selected via ADS. If you do not have ADS then selection is done by shifter and there are 2 separate positions of lever for this (e.g. separate D and S positions). In other words:
- in ADS car you have P R N D/S
- in non ADS one you have P R N D S
In both cases you can move shifter from D position to the right and then manually change gears up or down (this is what +/- signs are for).
And one more comment; this is for DSG/S-tronic version. Coul dbe that in 8-speed traditional gearbox it works differently.

Quick Reply: Just noticed Q5 shifter has "D/S" and down arrow.