Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keep or Delete Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep or Delete Sunroof?

After looking at the competition, I am leaning towards the Q5. I am concerned about long term reliability, but that is the subject of another post. Whether I move on a 2013 2.0 or 3.0, the issue of the panoramic sunroof concerns me. In the south, where I live, it gets real hot about half the year, and the sunroof turns the car into a greater greenhouse than without. I am considering the 3.0 prestige with the comfort package because you can't get ventilated seats in the 2.0. Ventilated seats would help with the extra heat created by the sunroof. The extra heat intrusion, and the fact that sometimes there are hailstorms in the south, are two reasons to delete the sunroof. There have also been too many reported problems, such as water intrusion. A reason to keep it is that it would be nice at nighttime and during the cooler months. I am also concerned that since it is a very common feature, would it hurt resale to delete the sunroof? Your opinions please, as Q5 loyalists, to keep or delete the sunroof?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was also concerned about heat from the sunroof. From test drives on clear-sky days, the heat from the direct light was very noticeable. I also like to drive in a not-bright cabin most of the time, and I found the cloth shade to be lacking in its ability to block out light. I also read the numerous stories about leaking and blocked drainage, which I wasn't interested in experiencing.

I wanted a 2.0T over the the 3.2 from the 2011 engine selection, so I went with the premium trim without the sunroof as an option. This allowed me to save money by not having to 'delete' it after already paying for it like on the P+ and up trims, but finding a premium without a sunroof without custom ordering took some doing.

As far as the car without the sunroof, I couldn't be happier. I'm so glad I searched for the color/feature combo I was looking for and stuck to the no sunroof requirement. With the 3.0 engine now available, it is hard to recommend the 2.0 with the premium trim as the way to go just to save money.

Bottom line: if you can put up with waiting for your custom order to show up, I would personally recommend you delete the sunroof option and get all the other options you want.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

My situation was similar. Many folks tint the glass roof to minimize sun heat. I was in Florida on vacation and found many Q5's there without sunroofs at the dealers. None of the Premium trims ones had seat heat there. I did finally find a rare no sunroof just how I wanted. I rarely used my regular sunroofs in previous cars and I thought adding extra weight up high and structurally weakening the car with such a large sunroof was a bad plan for me. Our other car is a convertible and I also have a motorcycle for my open air motoring.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless you're buying the Premium trim, going without the pano roof will actually cost you money. We didn't want the roof on our Premium Plus, but as you know there is no credit to delete it. In the end, we elected to take it to avoid the lower resale value. We simply don't use it. Unless you're desperate for the extra headroom, it doesn't make sense to delete it - at least not from a financial standpoint.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine. But I also don't live in Florida, I live in the mid-Atlantic where the climate is more moderate. Just for a different voice in the matter.

It's up to you really if you want it. And for resale value as was stated before.

I personally think it's awesome.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

After driving Q5's with and without the sunroof we opted to go with out the sunroof. I'm very happy with the car without it and don't care about resale value. I keep cars for ten years and so I lose a little on a trade or sale because of a "sunroof" does not bother me at all. I had sunroofs on previous cars and rarely if at all used them. It's all personal preference. Good luck!

Last edited by manup; 08-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto - didn't really want it either,
but it is almost considered a 'signature' piece of the q5 in that MOST have the sunroof iirc....

we live in the dfw area and while it can be rough in August if we have to park outside...
a remote start would be beneficial !
barring that the vagcom tweak that allows you to hold the remote unlock while walking to the car and having it roll down the windows will expel most of the heat...

good luck on your decision... my truck has the perforated leather and cooled seats - WELL worth it
Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had to Tint mine to 5% to get relief. I hate it and NEVER use it.
Delete it.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Our soon to be 3 year old son loves it. As soon as he gets strapped in he asks us to "open" the roof (meaning the rolling shade). The entertainment value is worth the price of admission for us!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is always people who wants to go with the flow and say panorama is the next best thing since sliced bread and there is always people who thinks sliced bread wasn't that good idea and panorama rating is far below that...

After 2 cars (both VAG) with panorama and on both cars, the roof had to be tinted with darkest 5% tint to make it tolerable for wife and kiddo on her baby seat on the back seats.

The perforated cover is useless to block the heat and useless to block the light as the sun shines on her face all the time.

Now we all are happy to have solid roof on our new car.

No weird clicks, cracks and rattle, no leaking and on +100F days no more blasting the fan to try to keep the interior cool as second fan speed is enough.

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-20-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Keep or Delete Sunroof?