Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keep or Delete Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Being in the Midwest...my personal opinion is I wouldn't purchase a Q5 without it (for resale purposes if nothing else).

-tgt
Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the panoramic sunroof, so as the wife and kids. I'm having it tinted to 5% soon, so I can have the rolling shade always out.. I think it really depends on your style and weather condition.. Here in California, in some places we do 3 digits on summertime, but the heat wave is bearable.. so maybe style wise, keep it' else I would delete it.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kleinbus
The perforated cover is useless to block the heat and useless to block the light
Absolutely!
BTW...good to see you still alive. Cheers.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Absolutely!
BTW...good to see you still alive. Cheers.
Hey I have to check in once a while to see the old gang is keeping the forum in order :-P

Anyways, I got mixed feelings with panorama and 5% tint.

Without the tint the panorama was sure "entertaining" as folks on back seat could see through it. Though perforated cover closed and 2 hours parked outside on Kansas +100F summer noon sun the car was a joke. Hey reality check! I grew up in Finland and I love real sauna but a car turning to wannabe sauna where I have to sit dressed up and blast the A/C next 2 hours is just a bad sweaty JOKE!

With the 5% tint the roof and interior becomes more bearable but the dark tint will block the view so what's the point of the roof anymore? Tilting the roof corner didn't provide same ventilation flow as does the normal moonroof on our Jetta and beemer.

We couldn't keep the panorama all open as all the hellhole Kansas bugs would make the inside like mini zoo...

Each of their own, if one likes it then they got what they wanted. After two cars with panorama we have actual 4 year experience to say we are happy not to have it.

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-20-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're all crazy. I live in Tucson, where it regularly gets above 115. I have all of my windows tinted with Formula One Pinnacle. I always use a sunshade on the windshield when I park. I have noticed zero heat coming through the sunroof. I think the sunroof's factory tint and the mesh cover are more than sufficient. If your car is too hot, tint your windows with premium heat rejecting tint and use a windshield shade when you park.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mesh cover

Wrestling with this issue. Has the mesh changed at all since the pano came out? Drove a 2012 and the mesh seemed adequate for sun blocking, but limited time in the car. My A4 moonroof has a nice solid shield that I can slide out, as do the current X1/X3/X5 pano roofs. That seems to be the best possible combo of having access to pano as needed, but blocking light when desired. Wondering why Audi chose to go with the mesh. Interesting that the rear window shades are mesh as well.

To Keep:
Visually attractive
Resale value added/preserved
Lighter in cabin
No credit at purchase for deleting

Not to Keep:
Maintenance headache (rattles, leaks, squeaks)
Expensive to replace or repair (out of warranty)
Possible need for added tint
Less efficient cooling (and maybe heating)

I guess it really does boil down to how people weight the different factors...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Any idea as to how much it would cost to replace a cracked roof? The pano roof is a $2k option on Premiums in Canada, and I've elected to go w/o given the sticker and also given the amount of flying rocks I encounter (just took out the foglight on the S4 last week).
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Delete it. I don't think that sunroof delete hurts financially over the course of ownership. That's 100 or more pounds of dead weight. You end up using more fuel, wear out tires and parts earlier for tens of thousands of miles. Then add that you have the potential for wind noise, water leaks, and breakage. Plus its at the highest possible location on the car which isn't good for performance or safety.

But if the mrs. wants it, you buy it anyway just like I did.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I debated the sunroof option quite a bit when ordering my Q5. Ultimately the Texas heat along with the wimpy sunscreen made me decide to go with the solid roof. If the screen was more than just a thin piece of cloth I might have considered giving it a try.

Put mine in for its 15K service today and the loaner they gave has the sunroof. I couldn't be happier with my decision. Way too much heat gets into the car for my taste. Not to mention the slightest rattles/noises seems to drive me crazy and this one has a very annoying rattle right above my head.

Just my $.02 worth...
Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Miami Florida here, no sunroof. You end up never opening and way too hot. Just something to break or leak.

Quick Reply: Keep or Delete Sunroof?