Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keeping my Q5 clean

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping my Q5 clean

what do you guys do to keep your q5 clean and looking good at all times? I'm thinking about waxing it but i was wondering if its really necessary. and is there anyway to keep the black from forming on the brake calipers because mine are red and I like them to stay as red as possible. any other advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgottsman11
what do you guys do to keep your q5 clean and looking good at all times? I'm thinking about waxing it but i was wondering if its really necessary. and is there anyway to keep the black from forming on the brake calipers because mine are red and I like them to stay as red as possible. any other advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Wash with Dawn(initially) using 2 buckets(one for rinsing, one for soapy water). Do not use a sponge EVER!.
Towel dry using waffle weave or terry.
Use clay if there are deposits on the paint. Rinse and dry again.
Apply Sealant. Multiple coats is ideal. I use Wolfgang but there are many other really good ones out there.
Never had red calipers, so, no comment
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Wash with Dawn(initially) using 2 buckets(one for rinsing, one for soapy water). Do not use a sponge EVER!.
If not a sponge, what do you use?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Use clay if there are deposits on the paint. Rinse and dry again.
Apply Sealant. Multiple coats is ideal. I use Wolfgang but there are many other really good ones out there.
Never had red calipers, so, no comment
It all sounded good until Dawn...lol.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mhousealum
What's wrong w/his advice? Those are the exact steps any good detailer would take. Only thing I would add is to repeat once a year. Preferably twice, but at least once in the Spring.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rarewolf
If not a sponge, what do you use?
For the initial cleaning use a wheel brush to get off the heavy gunk. I just use an old microfiber towel. I keep my towels in 2 stacks - one for the body/windows and the older ones are relegated to "wheel duty". I think Bulldog means don't use a sponge for a car wash? I prefer to use a sheepskin wash mitt.

Last edited by Parsec; 01-31-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 390 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by jgottsman11
what do you guys do to keep your q5 clean and looking good at all times?

JG, I'm not sure what country/state you are writing from, but you might want to track down a po detailer who could help you out with one of these new semi-permanent coatings. It's the most pain-free you can make a relationship with your vehicle. It's quite good.

You may consider dust-less pads. Weekly cleaning is also somewhat important. Some detailers can air brush the coating onto the wheels making subsequent clean ups much easier. There's also Armor All's brake dust repellant product (Walmert, $7.)

(Sal Zaino is the one that started that Dawn nonsense. There are much more effective pre-steps. Even Dawn's mfr sez don't use on cars. It's right on the P&G website )
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhousealum
The Dawn or similar treatment is to remove all old polishes and such from the bodywork that then needs to be treated with clay and some wax or polish soon after. Dawn is NOT for everyday washing.

For everyday washing a car-specific cleaner works well.

I did not see any benefit of paying someone else $200 or more for the annual or semi-annual clay and polish regimen. DYI works just as well.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dawn is particularly good at stripping silicone products. Ask a painter.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Dawn is particularly good at stripping silicone products. Ask a painter.
Also good for stripping your car of any remaining wax, sealant and polish that you still have on there before you do your annual or bi-annual exterior detail. As someone else mentioned, Dawn isn't something you use to wash your car on a weekly basis. You could always use something more expensive, but Dawn is free (sunk cost since we all have a bottle by our kitchen sink) and doesn't necessarily harm your car if using once or twice a year.

Quick Reply: Keeping my Q5 clean