Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keeping my Q5 clean

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On average my weekly car wash takes me about an hour to two hours for my 2012 Q5 Monsoon Grey with 19 inch J arm wheels.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Please clarify something for me.
From reading this post, it seems the material on the steering wheel isn't leather, right?
I agree with the other posters that I really like the matte look of the steering wheel an want to keep it that way. It looks like Einszett is the stuff to use on both the dash/plastic parts and the steering wheel?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by golfnguitarz
Please clarify something for me.
From reading this post, it seems the material on the steering wheel isn't leather, right?
I agree with the other posters that I really like the matte look of the steering wheel an want to keep it that way. It looks like Einszett is the stuff to use on both the dash/plastic parts and the steering wheel?
Steering wheel is leather. I just wipe down the steering wheel once a week during normal wash routine with Quik Interior Detailer (Meguiar's) using a 100% cotton towel. Cleans without adding any gloss.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

had to take a photo, this is what my car just looked like two days after a full wash... sigh...

Keeping my Q5 clean-2x8b1e2.jpg
Old 03-16-2013, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Poorboys natural look on interior surfaces. You can't buy this in big box stores though. It works great and doesn't leave a shine. Plus unlike most big box store brands it does not attract dust either - 3 weeks later and still no dust (or very little) on the dashboard . Never use armor-all as that is the worst thing you can ever do to an interior, it does more harm than good with all the silicone that it has in it (material cannot breath at all). I find the best way to do the steering wheel/dash is to do the rest of the car first, then don't spray anything extra and just use the cloth that is already been dampened from doing all the other panels in the car.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use to detail cars back in the day and we always used Car Bright Products. I don't know if they have international shops, but in the US, you can jump on the Car Bright Website, put in your zip code and find a local dealer. I haven't detailed cars in over 10 yrs, but still buy their product. Its all professional grade, awesome quality and has everything you could ever think of and more. My closest dealer to me is in Sacramento and they also carry their 'own' brand of professional cleaning/detailing stuff which is equal to Car Bright. I feel Car Bright product is better then Meguiar's (love the Meguiar's, don't get me wrong). I pay $45 dollars for 5 gallons of a Wash n Wax soap and $80 for 5 gallons of tire dressing. I like the petroleum tire dressings so it cost a little more. They also offer all sorts of waxes, polishes, leather cleaners, protectors, conditioners, wheel cleaners (for all metal and finish types) rubbing compounds, wax strippers, glass cleaners, plastic trim treatments (inside and out) applicator pads, brushes of all shapes and sizes, wash mitts, chemises, etc. More then you could ever find a use for. lol

my weekly routine is wash top to bottom, (tires first as the cleaner i use require the rubber to be dry. It also cleans and dresses the tires). Hand wash rims with separate mitt last. I have moved from the Lamb Wool mitts to micro fiber wish mitts. Depending on time, I either dry with Auto squeegee or leather chamois. Then she gets polished and waxed every other week. As she is new to us, i haven't clay bared her yet, but my other vehicles I do them twice a year. Once in the spring once the rain is about done (Mayish) and again in Octish. Interior I do as needed, but mostly every week. Vacuum first, then windows finish up with with rest of surfaces using Vinyl/Leather Cleaner and conditioner. I haven't used any wheel cleaner since I have moved to California as the one from Car Bright i like, is not legal for sale in CA. But it was awesome, spray, let sit for 30 seconds, hose off. ALL brake dust would be gone and all it would require after that is a quick hit with a wash brush for good measures. It also keeps the dust off the inside of the rims. But again awesome CA has so many dang rules, so I cant buy it here.

Then normally a few times a year she gets 'really' detailed. Every nook and cranny, is cleaned with detailing brushes, between rubber seals and the body, inside all vents, normally remove seats, shampoo carpets, engine bay, the whole nine! Its almost a full day per vehicle.

That is my 2 cents on what i do. lol
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hookooehoo

That is my 2 cents on what i do. lol
You sound OCD - just like me
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GregH
You sound OCD - just like me
lol I not as much as I use to be. After having my daughter, she is the priority on the weekends. Now the cars are done before she wakes, during her nap or after she goes to bed. :-) But now she is starting to want to help. So that is a blast! It makes me smile when she says, Daddy can i help clean the car, she is 3. :-) But I think she likes playing in the bubbles more than anything. :-)
Old 03-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Wash with Dawn(initially) using 2 buckets(one for rinsing, one for soapy water). Do not use a sponge EVER!.
Towel dry using waffle weave or terry.
Use clay if there are deposits on the paint. Rinse and dry again.
Apply Sealant. Multiple coats is ideal. I use Wolfgang but there are many other really good ones out there.
Never had red calipers, so, no comment
I guess you're suggesting using dish soap only for the first washing, but the experts very specifically say not to use dish soap on your car's paint because it is much too harsh.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Correct, dish soap is only good for one thing out in the driveway- it will take off all the existing wax that's built up on the vehicle, allowing you to start adding waxn on the paint. Here's another trick, after using the dish soap and the car is dry take a clean micro- fiber cloth and lightly move it across the painted areas, if you can feel the cloth sticking to the paint then you need to do the additional step with the clay bar to get the remaining contaminants off the surface.

Quick Reply: Keeping my Q5 clean