Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Last day to change my color... What color looks best w/ Sline Plus and chestnut brown

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GeeT
I strongly disagree. Option is a beautiful thing and everyone should be able to order to their liking, especially for a brand like Audi. Also choosing a color is a very personal, subjective decision. What you might think awful could look like a beauty to someone else. Why limit when you can choose?
Audi certainly agrees with you (and I do to an extent), as they went from being way too restrictive in 2011-ish to wide open today. Back in 2011, you couldn't get gray interior with Ibis White, or brown exterior with brown interior, beige wasn't available with any of the gray exterior colors at all, etc.

You can definitely customize your Audi today to be very taste-specific.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Easy answer, ...plus experience

Black will always be harder to maintain. Shows dirt more that while or light colors. Both are just as dirty, but the black doesn't retain as much of its (lesser) reflective nature when dirty as does a white vehicle. Black also shows door dings and any body issues more; well known when buying older/classic vehicles.

I have Brilliant Black on my A8 so know it well. And even having said the above, I'm very happy with it. Classic look, especially for a big limo look Audi. And having owned and maintained it for 6 years now, if you want to reduce the downsides a bit, get the Phantom Black or any of the others that have metallics. The metallics hide the swirl marks that are most obvious on any solid color darker paint.

If you still want darker, you can also look at the deeper blues. I got Scuba Blue on the Q5 (per the wife) and am satisfied. Having a 13 year old Ming Blue C5 A6 (also a Pearl and metallic) I bought new, it does hide dirt somewhat better than a black, though still well off a white, or likely a silver for that matter.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan at all of the black styling pack - Especially on a black car.

Kinda reminds me of:

My opinion is that that the best Q5 colour is Glacier White, as it goes well with the chrome trim and the lighter colour allows for the details around the front grills to stand out.

That said, I went with Panther Black on my SQ5 because I love how the mirrors stand out on the darker S-Cars.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am such a big fan of the chestnut/black two-tone interior - so much so that I changed my exterior color choice from moonlight blue to glacier white. I loved the moonlight blue with the exterior chrome accents - rails, grille, etc - but once I found out that they were going with the blacked out s-line package for 2014, the color combo just seemed so dark with little contrast. So, glacier white won. IMO the lighter colors work best with the new black trim of the s-line.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
All,

I am pretty indecisive on the color of the car and today is my last day to make any changes before it gets locked in....

I thought I had settled on the Glacier white and Sline Plus.

This would be great in the contrast but I have not seen it in person.

This past weekend I saw a Brilliant black in Sline Plus configuration.. that is making me think about black...

Compared to a Glacier White:

2012 Q5 with Sline Plus:

What are peoples opinions..

I do want Chestnut brown for interior. I like the two tone look of the brown on the inside and the two tone look of the glacier white on the outside as well..

But the black one just looks mean.. all the black blends into the color of the paint and the only thing that is visible is the Audi Logo... But I do not know how the brown interior will go with the black car..

What does everyone thing?
I just went through the same agonizing decision! On the exterior could not choose between black and glacier white. I chose the glacier white and am very happy, but would have been equally happy with the black. White has its own issues for maintainance, but it does get less dirty, believe it or not. When I got the masking, he said be sure to remove the bugs as soon as they get on the car. Bugs on white is not very pretty. Chips on white go through to the metal and you can see it more (I already got a chip! Bummer! Thank goodness for touch up paint.) Go with your gut. The Glacier White is a stunning color and I tinted the front windows to match the back and it looks baaad. I still LOVE LOVE LOVE black. But the glacier white is a stunning color in person...it looks a little more "clear" than the ibis white IMHO. It does not look metallic, but the metallic in it produces an electric effect.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gossip Girl
I just went through the same agonizing decision! On the exterior could not choose between black and glacier white. I chose the glacier white and am very happy, but would have been equally happy with the black. White has its own issues for maintainance, but it does get less dirty, believe it or not. When I got the masking, he said be sure to remove the bugs as soon as they get on the car. Bugs on white is not very pretty. Chips on white go through to the metal and you can see it more (I already got a chip! Bummer! Thank goodness for touch up paint.) Go with your gut. The Glacier White is a stunning color and I tinted the front windows to match the back and it looks baaad. I still LOVE LOVE LOVE black. But the glacier white is a stunning color in person...it looks a little more "clear" than the ibis white IMHO. It does not look metallic, but the metallic in it produces an electric effect.
Pics glacier white attached. SQ5.
Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BSee20
We have a 2013 w cuvee silver ext and chestnut brown interior. I think the color combo looks awesome and the interior looks great w the black dash and black headliner.
Agree, Cuvee is the best with chestnut!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and comments.

I ended up keeping my order intact with Glacier white and Chestnut brown interior.

All the people who drive sports cars suggested I get black.

My main priority was not the sportiness, if it was I would have gotten the SQ5.(would have only been less than 2k more).

My main goals of the new car are:
Luxury + Utility + Beauty + Efficiency + Sedan Feel(for an CUV)

I think getting the Glacier White Q5 TDI will delivery on all points!

Last edited by mwaarna; 08-13-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great choice! I have a 3.0T in the same combo arriving next week. I will post some pictures after I pick it up.
Ron
Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlk1
Great choice! I have a 3.0T in the same combo arriving next week. I will post some pictures after I pick it up.
Ron
Yes please post as many pictures as you can.. I have not seen any Glacier white Sline Plus packages...

Maybe we should start a new thread for Sline Plus/Titanium package Q5's...

Quick Reply: Last day to change my color... What color looks best w/ Sline Plus and chestnut brown