Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Last year for the 3.2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Last year for the 3.2 ?

If I had to look into my crystal ball, wouldn't it make sense for Audi to drop the 3.2 Q5 next year?

With Audi really pushing the 3.0 Supercharged in the A6 and Q7, I can't see how Audi would keep the 3.2 going past this year. This is the only car in the US that still uses the 3.2 engine besides the CVT A6, of which very few are made.

If they use the same detuned 272 hp rating as in the upcoming Q7, with ~300 lb ft of torque, it should be a stong set-up.

I like the Q5 but almost don't want to buy a 3.2 in fear that the 3.0 supercharged will come next year and be really sweet.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I think you are right - We really did not want to wait another year (had the Lexus for ten already) so we are staying with the 3.2
Old 09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make seance - but there no way I will go with current 2.0T!
3.O TDI - YES!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see a 3.0T q5, but i think it would probably make sense for Audi to put that engine into an S model car, ie an SQ5 with a number of additional styling changes to differentiate from the S-Line package, since the performance numbers would be phenomenal.

From a marketing perspective the 2.0T makes a ton of sense as the base car, providing good HP and Torque for everday driving.

A 3.0 diesel would fit the bill nicely in the lineup as a replacement for the 3.2 because of its capacity to tow for those who need it as well as for the fuel eceonomy benefits.

Personally I think this would make up the best combination of choice and value for the North American market, with something to satisfy everyone from the small family, to the active lifestyle to the performance enthusiast and would make the Q5 an unbeatable option for MY2012.

Unfortunately who knows what will be produced.. rumours of a hybrid Q5 keep rearing their ugly head, and there may not be sufficient numbers for it to make sense for Audi to produce an SQ5 (dream about it now boys and girls, wider more aggressvie 20" wheels, rear sports differential like the S4, S-tronic or GASP a 6MT, standard sportier suspension and sports seats, plus a few additional styling queues).

We can dream can't we?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
If I had to look into my crystal ball, wouldn't it make sense for Audi to drop the 3.2 Q5 next year?

With Audi really pushing the 3.0 Supercharged in the A6 and Q7, I can't see how Audi would keep the 3.2 going past this year. This is the only car in the US that still uses the 3.2 engine besides the CVT A6, of which very few are made.

If they use the same detuned 272 hp rating as in the upcoming Q7, with ~300 lb ft of torque, it should be a stong set-up.

I like the Q5 but almost don't want to buy a 3.2 in fear that the 3.0 supercharged will come next year and be really sweet.
I think if not next year, it will be the year after that, I think a lot will have to do with how the 3.2 sells this year. Poor sales numbers of the 3.2 will speed up the process.
I just trade in my 3.2 A6 for a 3.0T A6, let me tell you, the 3.0T engine transform the whole car's characteristic. I have driven the 2.0T A4, 2.0T Q5, the 3.2 A6 and the 3.0T A6, the jump from 2.0T to 3.2 is somewhat settle, not much difference until the top end, but from 3.2 to 3.0T makes a ton of difference. The supercharger gives the power train instead torque, no turbo lag, and acceleration from a rolling 20 MPH is almost scary. It feels like I can accelerate from 20 MPH to 80 MPH in about 4 seconds.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They'll keep the 2.0T premium & premium plus.

The 3.0T will be top of the line S line Prestige if it happens.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think if not next year, it will be the year after that, I think a lot will have to do with how the 3.2 sells this year. Poor sales numbers of the 3.2 will speed up the process.
I just trade in my 3.2 A6 for a 3.0T A6, let me tell you, the 3.0T engine transform the whole car's characteristic. I have driven the 2.0T A4, 2.0T Q5, the 3.2 A6 and the 3.0T A6, the jump from 2.0T to 3.2 is somewhat settle, not much difference until the top end, but from 3.2 to 3.0T makes a ton of difference. The supercharger gives the power train instead torque, no turbo lag, and acceleration from a rolling 20 MPH is almost scary. It feels like I can accelerate from 20 MPH to 80 MPH in about 4 seconds.
Thanks for providing your experience with the above engine comparisons- it is helpful.

I test drove the 3.2 Q5 when it was first available - it is a smooth engine, but I was hesitant because of the older engine technology and the mediocre fuel efficiency. It will be interesting to see if they offer the 3.0 TDI, the 3.0T , or both.

I am smitten by the 3.0 TDI and hope it will finally be offered in North America within the next 2 years. I recently changed my vehicle replacement strategy to allow for this possibility. Had planned to replace our 02 Audi Avant with the Q5, but decided to replace it with the 2011 A4 Sedan 6MT. Our 06 A4 Avant is the next vehicle to be replaced and I can wait another 2-4 years, if necessary.

By the way, I recently test drove the Q5 witht the 2.0TFSI and the new 8 speed automatic. I was prepared to be disappointed. I have been very happy with Audi's 2.0 TFSI in the 06 and love it in the 2011 A4. The 211 hp engine in the 2011 model is measurable quicker and more fuel efficient- a real blast to drive. I just could not reconcile the 2.0 TFSI in the heavier Q5. I was pleasantly surprised, maybe even a bit impressed, at the performance of the 2.0 TFSI in the Q5. It felt as quick as the 3.2 to me at lower speeds. Fuel economy is improved over the 3.2. Perhaps most impressive and surprising was how smooth the 8 speed transmission is. It is quick and responsive - a great addition to the configuration.

The verdict? The 2.0 TFSI merits my consideration only if the 3.0 TDI is not offered.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Loafer123, I was ready for a let down as well when I test drove the 2.0T Q5. Much like you, I was pleasantly surprised. It was as quick as the 3.2 at low rpm, thats the beauty of force induction, tons of torque at the low end, and that 8 speed tranny is pretty smooth.
The 3.0T is simply a 2.0T with about another 100 HP, both engines are on Ward's 10 best engine list for 2009 and 2010. Fuel economy is about the same as the 3.2. If you can wait a year or 2, I am sure Audi will reward you with a engine upgarde.
I wonder will Audi mate the 3.0T Q5 with the 8 speed tranny, I know that will be the combo in the re-design 2011 A6.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-07-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was pleasantly surprised as well, G Man, Loafer. The 8-speed trans makes a difference.

I've been holding out for a Q5 S since the Q5 was introduced in the US. The 3.2 didn't compel me to give up my B7 S4, even though I was impressed with the 3.2. The 2.0T Q5 was convincing (especially with tuning possibilities), but the lack of an S-line offering for the 2.0T is the deal-breaker for me.

I hope Audi either brings the 3.0 TDI stateside or offers a 3.0 Supercharged in the very near future.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also came in with low expectations for the 2.0T. In fact, I warned my wife before we test drove the 2011 2.0T and the 2010 3.2 with the same exact packages and wheels, that the 2.0T is a less powerful engine so it might not drive well. After I test drove it, I was actually pretty impressed considering the fact that I also test drove the RDX with their inline 4 engine. The price difference basically sealed the deal for me since even a "discounted" 2010 3.2 with the same options were going to cost me more. Didn't care for the SLine look or option.

It took me some time to undo the brain washing on my wife. She was confused for some time why I wanted the slower engine. My fault. I had to basically explain to her that we can get the additonal options for cheaper. She was good on that agreement.

Quick Reply: Last year for the 3.2 ?