Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Last year for the 3.2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thought of that makes me want to wait, kind of haha.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsackman

Sadly the oil burner (3.0 TDI) Q5 will not be offered in the USA ever. This is due to the need for urea/Bluetec or whatever they call it. There just is no space in the car for the additive tank and California will not allow the larger diesel without the additives to reduce emissions.

The smaller 2.0 TDI as offered in the Golf and A3 does not need additives to meet emission standards, so if we are prepared to settle for the 2.0 twin turbo diesel as in the VW Amarok 1-tonner for the Q5, we *may* be able to see a Q5 diesel here.

I am not holding my breath though, and unfortunately there is a greater probability of a hybrid Q5 than a diesel. The 3.0T (gasoline supercharger) will be very nice.

BTW, the 2.0 bi-turbo diesel specs are:
"The biturbo TDI is rated at 120kW, delivered at 4000rpm, and a seriously muscular 400Nm just off idle - with 350 of those Newton-metres still pushing you along at 3500rpm."
In the Amarok application performance is:
"VW quotes a 0-100 sprint time of 11.1sec and a top speed of 171km/h, at a cost of only 7.9 litres/100km in the ECE combined cycle and 208g/km of CO2"

I am a little surprised to read you do not believe we would see the 3.0TDI in the Q5 ever because of the additives. Is it not true the Q7 is available with the 3.0 TDI for sale in North American now?

Are you saying the Q7 uses the additive and can be sold because it uses the additive and the Q5 does not have the physical space to store the additive, which the Q7 presumably has?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i beg to differ, i think there is more than enough room for a urea tank. you just have to make it weirdly shaped and throw it in the trunk somewhere. It's not going to be easy but it can be done. my 335d loses some trunk storage space underneath for the urea tank.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
i beg to differ, i think there is more than enough room for a urea tank. you just have to make it weirdly shaped and throw it in the trunk somewhere. It's not going to be easy but it can be done. my 335d loses some trunk storage space underneath for the urea tank.
thanks.

It struck me a bit odd that the Q5 would not be available with a 3.0TDI
Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Loafer123

SNIP

Are you saying the Q7 uses the additive and can be sold because it uses the additive and the Q5 does not have the physical space to store the additive, which the Q7 presumably has?

That is what I was made to believe after extensive research.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
That is what I was made to believe after extensive research.

I sure hope your research is faulty!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

just curious on the Q7 then, that additive in the additional tank, who fills that up? do you personally fill it up, and when, how does it notify you and where do you buy that stuff? or does it get filled up at services? What if it runs out before?
kinda sounds like a weird story, but I'm intrigued for the whole Q5 TDI story, because if it had been available when I got my 3.2FSI, I would have chosen the TDI in a heartbeat..
Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Loafer123
I sure hope your research is faulty!
I sure hope it is faulty also. I hope 'dsackman' can elaborate on where he got his information from- Audi? or other.
It is a good guessing game what will the engines be for 2012. Maybe they will allow the S line in the 2.0T which would be nice. I get the feeling there will be a 3.0TDI or the 3.0T supercharged engine. Problem with the hybrid will be the batteries; taking up space so no spare tire, run-flats and may encroach on the modest cargo space as well.
Looks like the Q5 is taking sales from the A4, from the monthly Audi numbers.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by solucien
just curious on the Q7 then, that additive in the additional tank, who fills that up? do you personally fill it up, and when, how does it notify you and where do you buy that stuff? or does it get filled up at services? What if it runs out before?
kinda sounds like a weird story, but I'm intrigued for the whole Q5 TDI story, because if it had been available when I got my 3.2FSI, I would have chosen the TDI in a heartbeat..
you add a chemical loosely based on urea (i think "elevens" might know best, he is a chemist i believe) its kinda like urine mixed with other stuff and it is injected into your exhaust to reduce carbon emissions or noxious emissions. It robs horsepower and i know on my 335d if i dont full it up i can't start my car. you fill it up every 10-15k miles. it gives you a warning light and you must fill it up. for my BMW its covered under the maintenance for the first 4 years, after that its like $50 or something to fill it. not bad considering how much money you save. It makes it very clean, my exhaust has no smell at all.

Originally Posted by Dubliner
I sure hope it is faulty also. I hope 'dsackman' can elaborate on where he got his information from- Audi? or other.
It is a good guessing game what will the engines be for 2012. Maybe they will allow the S line in the 2.0T which would be nice. I get the feeling there will be a 3.0TDI or the 3.0T supercharged engine. Problem with the hybrid will be the batteries; taking up space so no spare tire, run-flats and may encroach on the modest cargo space as well.
Looks like the Q5 is taking sales from the A4, from the monthly Audi numbers.
I HATE run flat tires...they are the worst thing ever. ride quality SUCKS you feel and hear every bump...
Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Winding Road: Quick Drive: 2010 Audi Q7 TDI

The last time I was in Audi’s diesel Q7 a rather unfortunate set of circumstances—summer performance tires left on the SUV well after Ann Arbor had been covered with snow—left me with a rather incomplete conception of the vehicle. Thankfully, with no snow to be found right now, this loan proved to be a little more illustrative for me.
The huge torque from this 3.0-liter TDI engine, coupled with Audi’s Quattro system, gives the Q7 the ability to get up and go with great quickness. Accelerating with a smart start, and building easy speed through low to medium revs, the Q7 feels quite athletic both around town, and on the freeway.
Steering has been tuned for quick turn-in and rotation—quick, at least, relative to the massive size of the SUV—and has the sort of lightweight action that makes the Q7 feel nimble when hustling through suburbia. It’s fair to note here though, that when actually pushing the Q7 at higher speeds through hard corners or twisting roads, it quickly becomes clear that the nimbleness does not extend to sporting driving. The Audi will lean a bit too much, and plow straight ahead for a second when asked to turn too sharply. Still, for its intended use and probably users, the Q7 has better than average handling traits.
The problem is, as far as I’m concerned, that the BMW X5 35d does everything that the Q can, but does it just a little bit better. The Bimmer’s motor is more powerful, with more torque, and still gets slightly better fuel economy. The X5 also feels more buckled down on the road, though I might give Audi a slight edge in terms of feeling very stable at highway speeds. Prices are about the same, too.
There is an argument to be made for the Q7 being a more strikingly styled vehicle—several complete strangers told me how cool the LED lamps were, Audi’s styling masterstroke yet again. I tend to prefer the X5’s look, though will at least admit that the Q7—color-sensitive with its massive profile and length—is a bit more fetching in dark colors than it is in light ones.
—Seyth Miersma, Editor-In-Chief
I have always been a big fan of Audi’s diesel motors, and the 3.0-liter V-6 under the Q7’s hood is no exception. While it makes decent power and gets adequate fuel economy, its real attribute (and indeed a major attribute of most good diesels) is how quiet it is. Unless you are really pushing this engine at wide open throttle or up around red line, its diesely exhaust note won’t disturb you.
The Q7 isn’t the dynamic driving machine that the X5 xDrive 35d is, but it is a considerably more luxurious and comfortable way to get about. At no point during my time with it did I feel uncomfortable. The ride was surprisingly smooth, despite the twenty-inch wheels. There was no crashing about on Michigan’s damaged roads, and vertical movement was well controlled, although I do agree with Seyth that body roll could have been better controlled, especially during higher-speed cornering. The interior was typical Audi excellence, with high-quality materials in abundance. More importantly, it felt like it was put together well. I never got the sensation that five years from now, the interior would just begin to fall apart.
It seems like Audi realized that the majority of people that would drop $60,000 on a seven-passenger, diesel-powered SUV are more concerned with luxury than sportiness, and it shows here. The Q7 doesn’t try to offer a car like driving experience, or offer sporty handling through a backbreaking ride. It is just a genuinely comfortable luxury SUV.
—Brandon Turkus, Fleet Manager
Pros
  • 3.0-liter TDI V-6 makes lots of torque without lots of noise
  • Luxurious interior is full of top-notch materials
  • Surprisingly good handling for such a big boy
Cons
  • BMW’s 3.0-liter diesel I-6 makes more power and gets better fuel economy
  • Better roll stiffness would be nice
  • Lighter colors make it look considerably larger than it already is

Quick Reply: Last year for the 3.2 ?