Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Lava Grey vs. Monsoon Grey SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lava Grey vs. Monsoon Grey SQ5

So I have never been able to see the two colors side by side. However, I have seen them separately in person.

Has anyone seen a picture that compares the two? Any opinions on each color?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm personally not a fan of the Lava -- too brown for my taste.

My favorite Audi grey is Daytona (which I special ordered for my current S4).

- Mark
Old 08-23-2013, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rascalnyc
I'm personally not a fan of the Lava -- too brown for my taste.

My favorite Audi grey is Daytona (which I special ordered for my current S4).

- Mark
Yeah, I wish Daytona was available... but it's an extra $2,500 to do audi exclusive... plus that would push my wait out further and I am currently renting a car secondary to a recent accident that totaled my Daytona Grey 2012. :-(
Old 08-23-2013, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Yeah, I wish Daytona was available... but it's an extra $2,500 to do audi exclusive... plus that would push my wait out further and I am currently renting a car secondary to a recent accident that totaled my Daytona Grey 2012. :-(
Daytona is available, though, if you order S-Line. As for the custom colors, they start at $3900 now and are supposedly unavailable for anything under the A6 currently (though one of our SQ5 orderers seems to still have his order in the system).

Lava and Monsoon aren't exactly close colors, Lava is nearly black while Monsoon is a medium-light grey.

Lava sample: http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/70196152.html

Monsoon sample: http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/82846562.html
Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Daytona is available, though, if you order S-Line. As for the custom colors, they start at $3900 now and are supposedly unavailable for anything under the A6 currently (though one of our SQ5 orderers seems to still have his order in the system).

Lava and Monsoon aren't exactly close colors, Lava is nearly black while Monsoon is a medium-light grey.

Lava sample: http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/70196152.html

Monsoon sample: http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/82846562.html
Actually Daytona is NOT available in the SQ5 for the US. There is no S-line option for the SQ5, there is for the Q5.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, I've seen both colors in person at the same time. Dealer had a lava grey R8 next to a monsoon Q5 and between the two, I prefer the lighter monsoon color regardless of the car they were on. But that's just my own personal taste. I generally prefer lighter colors on the Q5 to show off distinctive lines like the horizontal creases above each fender. That's why both my 2010 Q5 and my 2014 SQ5 have both been white (ibis and glacier). I also like monsoon and ice silver for the Q5.

My favorite grey is still daytona but I think it's better suited for bigger Audis like the A8, A7 and Q7.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Actually Daytona is NOT available in the SQ5 for the US. There is no S-line option for the SQ5, there is for the Q5.
Ugh, missed that it was SQ5 and not Q5. My bad. Still don't really get that one....
Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Ugh, missed that it was SQ5 and not Q5. My bad. Still don't really get that one....

Yeah, I realize that Lava and Monsoon are not close... I guess I am trying to decide which color looks better on the SQ5 given the difference in grill color, the two tone 21" wheels and the silver side view mirrors.

The color selection just seems a little limited on the SQ5 and I am not totally sure which of the two (monsoon or lava) I like better.

Monsoon has always seems a little bland to me. It may be the difference between having had the pearlescent daytona vs the metallic monsoon. However, I also have some hesitation with Lava. It is quite dark.

Thus, I was throwing it out there to see other peoples opinions as I have not seen both colors in the full spectrum of different lights during the morning, day, and dusk.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry, by "that one" I meant the SQ5 not getting Daytona as an option, not you wanting to compare Lava and Monsoon. But yeah, Lava is more of a black color (IMO) than grey, and seems really really dark on something like a Q5 (or Q7) -- somehow seems less appropriate than the actual blacks. Monsoon is indeed kinda bland to me as well (and I love greys), otherwise I might've gone that route instead of ordering my Q5 in Scuba. Having seen Daytona on an RS4 in person a while back, I would totally hit that, though that doesn't help when AoA shafted the SQ5 guys.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What color is the interior???

I am selecting my exterior to make sure I like the combo with the interior. For me, the Lava is too dark and has a "brown" hue, so if I were picking the brown interior, I might consider those going well together.

Monsoon grey is actually my choice, as I will be selecting black and monsoon, as I think it goes well together.I like the monsoon as is shines nicely (even a little dirty). Lava looks more brown when dirty and less shine. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Lava Grey vs. Monsoon Grey SQ5