Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Let's all get our nav maps updated!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's all get our nav maps updated!!!

I bought a 2011 Q5 in the spring of 2011. I went on a 5,000 mile road trip and found the nav maps to be worse than useless. Since I've gotten home, I find the problem is everywhere not just where I was traveling in the midwest. I've talked to the dealer; they admit it is outdated; my salesman asked to document the problems. I've talked to AudiUSA and they are charming but of no help; I've exchanged emails with Navteq who doesn't even list the Q5 as one of the cars they support. I had to indicate I was an allroad owner just to leave them a message (Really miss my beloved allroad.) I've come to the conclusion - as stated in the recent July thread on this - that everyone is waiting for someone else to get this to happen.

So, here is my suggestion. It is modeled after an excellent experience I just had with our state's Attorney General helping me to get SiriusXM to honor a price they'd given me to extend the subscription for radio and traffic info in the Q5. (That is a whole other story.) I know our state has something called a "warranty of merchantability" - or something like that wording - I'm not a lawyer. Basically, that when something is sold, it does what it is sold to do. The log I've begun keeping on the 50% error rate in directions and points of interests amply demonstrates that the Audi Q5 nav does not come close to any industry standard with regard to accuracy. In fact it is downright dangerous, wasteful of gas and time to follow most of the instructions because the map and point of interest databases are so out-dated. The minimum one should expect it to have would be Interstate routes, on ramps and off ramps; state highway routes, on ramps and off ramps; big hotel chains, big retail chains, big restaurant chains. I can document that none of those minimums are met and if we all log the problems and turn them in, I think we might convince them. Plus, telling potential purchasers not to buy until a new map data base comes out.

If you are motivated to do something but want company in the effort, let's all list the states we are from and everyone make simultaneous complaints to our Attorneys General through their Consumer Protection divisions. Even if our states are slow to respond, we can copy those complaints to our dealers and to whomever we've reached at AudiUSA - and maybe to Navteq. At least in Washington State, I had an email response from the state in 1 day; they forwarded my complaint to Sirius within a few days and in less than a week, Sirius called me to resolve the problem and met my request.

I don't want $250 from Audi. - but would take it if they really think I'm going to pay to update something that was "broken" when I bought it. I only wanted the back up camera and had to buy the whole mid range package with the stinkin nav to get it - when the Garmin is just fine. What am I supposed to do - duct tape my Garmin over top of the Audi nav screen? Who wants to join together to rise up and get this dealt with? List the state you are from and if you can find the contact info for your Consumer division. We can all help each other get someone's attention to this.

allgrrl, Seattle
Old 08-12-2011, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about you but I knew the Nav sucked before I bought it. You should have known it also if you spent any time on this forum. I bought the pkg not the actual Nav itself because I new it sucked and my Garmin was by far superior.

Dangerous...you are kidding I hope.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

allgrrl,

I'm with you! How Audi is handling their in-car navigation system is completely unacceptable. Unlike what the other poster said, this is about consumers getting what they pay for, and demanding that companies live up to their promises and their word.

This past Monday I sent AoA an email about their terrible navigation experience. I pointed out that their website description of the '12 Q5 claims "the Q5 comes equipped with the latest generation of MMI", but it does not - the latest generation MMI is available in only a couple of high-end Audi models, and uses Google Live maps - this is definitely not the Q5 version. I told them that this claim is misleading and false advertising.

I then pointed out that their maps were 3+ years old, and that both the dealerships and AoA lied when they stated that Audi releases new map/POI updates each year.

I told them that I was giving them until September 1st to release a new map/POI update, or else I would be filing a formal complaint with the BBB, as well as alert my place of employment (a large company that gives them a LOT of business) about their navigation problems and warn potential Audi buyers away from purchasing the optional Navigation system at the least, and from the entire Audi brand at most. I also demanded not a cash amount (such as $250), but a voucher for a free update for when the next update comes out (regardless of how much the update costs) since I just purchased a '12 Q5 and it has maps that are 3+ years old.

Haven't heard from them, and don't expect much when I do, but I really like your idea as well, and plan to start recording all of the navigation errors (have already encountered quite a few POI mishaps). It's good to hear that Washington State was proactive with your Sirius problem; I hope they are as quick to resolve this problem with Audi.

FYI - I'm also in the state of Washington.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

No not kidding, but you obviously know more than the rest of us about it.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am from WI and I can tell you that the Nav in my 06 Acura is 1000 times better. The Audi unit does not even take coordinate addresses like we have here in WI.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Im with you! we can make this a class action movement! Google maps/nav on my smart phone works better for me than the old nav maps in the Q. Its really the only thing bad about the car.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

The part that drives me nuts is the French in my street names. Im in Ontario Canada and some street names revert to the French first even though English is selected as my language of usage on system. Take a street such as St Laurent Blvd, proper English Spelling and the actual name of the street. The G-damn nav switches it to Boulevard St Laurent. Now the problem with this is that the street names view only shows a certain amt of characters so what I get in nav directions is "turn left on Boulevard..." What the hell good is that. What Boulevard am I to turn on to? or my favourite as it shows up everywhere. "Rue du la..." Du la what.... ??? Audi tells me it's the nav co's problem, the nav co tells me it's audi. They both say the system is preprogrammed for French first and for French to supersede English due to my area regardless of what my language preferences are. My area is Ontario, it's not as though I lived in Quebec.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Winter Cabriolet
I am from WI and I can tell you that the Nav in my 06 Acura is 1000 times better. The Audi unit does not even take coordinate addresses like we have here in WI.
Don't know current rating, but few year ago Acura Navigation system was best on the market.
Ours Acura is 7 yr old, never update navigation DVD (probably miss few hundred new POI in LA) - but it's never fail to get as from point A to point B.
Acura send post card every 6 month for map update - first few year was $199 + S&H, lately the discount to $149
Old 08-13-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GenSpec
The part that drives me nuts is the French in my street names. Im in Ontario Canada and some street names revert to the French first even though English is selected as my language of usage on system. Take a street such as St Laurent Blvd, proper English Spelling and the actual name of the street. The G-damn nav switches it to Boulevard St Laurent. Now the problem with this is that the street names view only shows a certain amt of characters so what I get in nav directions is "turn left on Boulevard..." What the hell good is that. What Boulevard am I to turn on to? or my favourite as it shows up everywhere. "Rue du la..." Du la what.... ??? Audi tells me it's the nav co's problem, the nav co tells me it's audi. They both say the system is preprogrammed for French first and for French to supersede English due to my area regardless of what my language preferences are. My area is Ontario, it's not as though I lived in Quebec.
Isn't this a issue with what the French speakers have imposed by laws on your country?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Heh, we just have streets up here with French names.. out West too.

Quick Reply: Let's all get our nav maps updated!!!