Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Let's all get our nav maps updated!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCM09
Dangerous...you are kidding I hope.
Dangerous? One wouldn't think so but after my experience last year I'd say it's entirely possible. After getting the low fuel light on our Q5 we opted to NAV our way to the nearest station. Our wonderful NAV took us 15 miles across a mountain only to find "Nothing". About 2/3s the way to "Nothing" the NAV got lost and we were on no road at all. The NAV eventually found the road and ultimately tried to take us down a dirt driveway to an abandoned farm...WTH?! We turned around and headed back and eventually found fuel with the miles remaining on Zero. How we got into that situation[with the low-fuel light] in the first place is another story

Dangerous? Hell yes! My wife is on chemotherapy for the rest of her life. Our Bulldog...well he's just a Bulldog. Neither of them would have fared well in 90 degree heat...walking, or sitting in the Q5 waiting for me to get fuel had we run out of gas on a mountain road in the middle of "Nothing" (with no cell service) because the damn NAV took us away from the nearest fueling station.

FWIW, we're back in those same mountains right now at Lake Nantahala, NC. Relying on both systems (got the Garmin 275T on the windshield) to get us where we need to be. To be fair the (recently updated)Garmin is not perfect...it has given us some misinformation, too....but nothing close to as bad as the factory installed Audi NAV.

For example...on the way here from Chesapeake, Va the Audi NAV had us arriving at 5:18 pm and the Garmin said 3:05. That's nuts! Along the way the Audi NAV directions were ignored(by us) 5 times in favor of the Garmin. Every time we deviated the Audi NAV would, within minutes, make a correction to reduce the driving time. Again...WTH?!!!! This Audi system the way it is, is nothing short of PATHETIC. If any of you are relying solely on your Audi NAV you could be wasting lots of time and fuel...and yes, even putting yourself in danger if the circumstances are just so. GL!

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 08-14-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't care that my map is out of date. Having old POI (or missing) is annoying but the roads around here haven't really changed. What I find annoying is the way it functions. Like when I want to find something in a city and I say the city name. Instead of listing the city based on the location of the vehicle, I get towns listed from across the country and have to scroll to the second screen to find the city I'm 5 miles from. How dumb is that?? Can't say Garmins are perfect either. I've had mine route some funky ways adding a lot of time vs going the shortest route and I didn't have any restrictions set.