Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Lexus still sets the luxury SUV standard

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus still sets the luxury SUV standard

Is this true . I would have thought, in my unbiased opinion , it would be Audi leading the way.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is only one man's opinion. You know that a opinion is like a you know what, everybody has one
We test drove the RX last yesr, its too much like a minivan. If the RX350 is truly the standard for SUVs, then everyone else would be copying them, but I just dont see too many soft riders out there competing with the RX.

Last edited by The G Man; 04-27-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Is this true . I would have thought, in my unbiased opinion , it would be Audi leading the way.
I saw the price and went holy crap batman and then realized you're in Canada. Whew. It is nice they have keyless entry and power adjust steering wheel. It's crazy to have to buy the top trim package just to get push button start. Come on Audi! I *wish* the seat in the Q5 would automatically go back when the car is shutoff too. I must have a permanent bruise now on my right knee from hitting the steering column.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has their opinion
When I was replacing my FX35, this Lexus was Going to be my choice, but there were many things I did not like about it. I didn't know the Q5 existed yet, when my wife found the Q5 I bought it after the test drive!

What I didn't like about the new Lexus:
- lower performance than what I was used to
- don't like the new center console
- did not like the depth of the dash, nor those little triangle front wing windows
- the new mouse was neat, but hard to use when driving
- Nav has no 3d display mode
- Nav input shuts down just about all commands while driving. Voice command also shuts down just about all commands.
- Could not find a good color choice that I liked with the new body. I liked the older rx350 styling and colors better
- The stock 18" rims look better than the 19" rims

The only thing I liked better in the RX350 over the Q5 was the standard keyless entry. This is the only thing I miss from my FX35.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
then realized you're in Canada
That is a bummer for us - we are right next door to the US, our dollar is at par, so why do we Canadians have to pay so much more for cars!!??
Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Editorial article by the newspaper - clearly their opinion. The truth will be the sales - I think that the RX350 sales are down this past year due to the larger size of the car.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus sold over 8000 RX350 during the month of March 2010 in the US, while Audi only sold 1700 Q5 in the same time period. Then again, the Toyota Camry have better sales numbers than the Audi A4 too, and yet I still prefer owning a A4 over a Camry.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrV
That is a bummer for us - we are right next door to the US, our dollar is at par, so why do we Canadians have to pay so much more for cars!!??
+1, no scratch that I'm sure that's about +10,000,000 for all those Canadian drivers ticked off by this.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus sold over 8000 RX350 during the month of March 2010 in the US, while Audi only sold 1700 Q5 in the same time period. Then again, the Toyota Camry have better sales numbers than the Audi A4 too, and yet I still prefer owning a A4 over a Camry.
+1!
And even if A4 was not exist - I first look at Accord or Maxima before turn to Camry. IMHO - car design for woman.

When we start thinking replacing wife MDX last year we drove to near dealer:
Acura - looking at MDX or RDX
BMW - X3 or 328 Sport Wagon
next on our street is Volvo - just passed, we both hate that brand
MBZ - ML350
Lexus - RX 350
Audi - Q5 or Avant A4/S4
New MDX design was big NO for my wife plus no ED -> cross out from the list
We skip BMW because I get as loaner both of this cars and we know what to expect. In addition - X3 is replacing by new model and production move to US - no ED -> down to the list
No one came out at MBZ for more then 10 min and we left with out test drive -> cross out from the list

Lexus dealer was SUPER nice - we even seat in the car and he go over every features. I can see why people like Lexus service. I already start calculate monthly payment in my head, but my wife decided to skip test drive and we move to next dealer on the street - Audi.
As soon as we saw new Q5 and seat inside - we was sold. Both of us. This is it. And after we test drive on FWY and local street - we hook. Same evening I join "AudiWorld" and start learn more about Audi European Delivery Program and about Audi history.
But I tell you true - if Audi don't have Q5 - I will back to Lexus with out hesitation.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, it's not one mans opinion, it's one WOMANS opinion. Second of all, this person admitted they were not tech savvy and not good with gadgets. That says something about her age. Lexus is for those who want luxury over sportiness and luxury. They want something that floats over the bumps. This car has been out for a year now. Maybe she doesn't even know the Audi exists yet.

Lexus RX = Great grocery getter
Audi is leaps above that.

Quick Reply: Lexus still sets the luxury SUV standard