Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Lexus still sets the luxury SUV standard

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Sales are down for the RX from the past:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX

Whereas the Q5 is increasing sales as the brand and model gets known
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
+1!
But I tell you true - if Audi don't have Q5 - I will back to Lexus with out hesitation.
Our last 5 cars or SUV were Lexus and before that 4 Toyota. So I go way back when it comes to Toyota and Lexus. I can tell you that my 1st Lexus LS was built like a tank, much better than the Lexus of today. There is no question that Lexus service is still the best, but much like the quality of their vehicles, it too is on the decline. Thats is one of the reasons why we have 2 Audi park in our driveway today. For the 1st time in about 20 years, there is not one Lexus or Toyota parked on that driveway. Audi and Lexus are two car companies that are headed in opposite directions. Every car company has it up cycles and down cycles, and right now Audi is on the up and Lexus is hopefully bottoming out.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While without a doubt, I'd prefer a German brand over Lexus, their reliability and customer service are some things Germans can learn from. Ultimately, people vote with their wallets and RX's for years have been the best selling SUV's in US. Most car buyers don't give a rat's *** about brand's history or racing heritage, they just want a reliable, comfortable car with top notch service and Lexus delivers. Personally I would not want Audi to sell as many Q5's as Lexus does RX's. I'd prefer to have a car that's more unique, but that's about to change with the 2.0 Q5.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
While without a doubt, I'd prefer a German brand over Lexus, their reliability and customer service are some things Germans can learn from. Ultimately, people vote with their wallets and RX's for years have been the best selling SUV's in US. Most car buyers don't give a rat's *** about brand's history or racing heritage, they just want a reliable, comfortable car with top notch service and Lexus delivers. Personally I would not want Audi to sell as many Q5's as Lexus does RX's. I'd prefer to have a car that's more unique, but that's about to change with the 2.0 Q5.
+1 I love having a killer looking Q5 that draws attention than the cookie cutter RX. I mean the Audi commercial was spot on in this respect,,EVERYONE has the RX they are so common no one even looks or cares about them. Kinda reminds you of the old VW bugs back in the day, they were everywhere and they all look the same.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all Lexus dealers are competent. I went to one here in Montreal and even spoke with the manager and he said that I cannot have two cars under my name. So, I walk out.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my .02 cents, The magazine is canadian based, what do they know? (just kidding to you canadians out there) The fact of the matter is and its been stated, if you want a vehicle thats quite smooth and luxurious go for the lexus. if you want a car thats sporty and drives nice go for the audi. thats how it is.

At the end of the day, all japanese cars are based on other japanese cars, hence their reliability. their parts are shared and thats why they are cheap. Also more people prefer luxury as plush and smooth. not something that performs as well and thats why they buy japanese. i've also come to notice, most people lease high end vehicles more so than buy because high end vehicles do not hold value at all. in the case of a lease reliability is never an issue. In the long run yes the japanese cars are more reliable with less ownership costs but the germans are reliable too if you take care of them.

at the end of the day the germans are drivers cars for people who pay for what thy want. The japanese fit all other types. american lux fits other stereotypes, more so of loyalty i think.

P.S. If i'm not mistaken, for cheaper build quality and less tech stuff the japanese cars cost more. yet they're based off other models mostly so they are making a KILLING!! where as the germans give you a different type of quality for your money.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
First of all, it's not one mans opinion, it's one WOMANS opinion. Second of all, this person admitted they were not tech savvy and not good with gadgets. That says something about her age.
Sure makes for one ugly woman. I think the point of his comment about being not tech savvy with high end stuff is the Lexus system is so intuitive that even an less than average person could pick it up pretty easy.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hmn4858
Sure makes for one ugly woman. I think the point of his comment about being not tech savvy with high end stuff is the Lexus system is so intuitive that even an less than average person could pick it up pretty easy.
Well he has a womans name, and he looks like he could be a transexual. LOL.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Well he has a womans name, and he looks like he could be a transexual. LOL.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Here's my .02 cents, The magazine is canadian based, what do they know? (just kidding to you canadians out there) The fact of the matter is and its been stated, if you want a vehicle thats quite smooth and luxurious go for the lexus. if you want a car thats sporty and drives nice go for the audi. thats how it is.

At the end of the day, all japanese cars are based on other japanese cars, hence their reliability. their parts are shared and thats why they are cheap. Also more people prefer luxury as plush and smooth. not something that performs as well and thats why they buy japanese. i've also come to notice, most people lease high end vehicles more so than buy because high end vehicles do not hold value at all. in the case of a lease reliability is never an issue. In the long run yes the japanese cars are more reliable with less ownership costs but the germans are reliable too if you take care of them.

at the end of the day the germans are drivers cars for people who pay for what thy want. The japanese fit all other types. american lux fits other stereotypes, more so of loyalty i think.

P.S. If i'm not mistaken, for cheaper build quality and less tech stuff the japanese cars cost more. yet they're based off other models mostly so they are making a KILLING!! where as the germans give you a different type of quality for your money.

Audi & VW share a lot of components as well. Japanese luxury brands are more affordable because they are relatively new compared to Germans and they simply have to compete thus more aggressive pricing. I've also read somewhere that tariffs are higher for vehicles imported from Europe. When it comes to technology, I don't think you're aware of the fact that Germans use Japanese electronic components in many cars and you are mistaken by saying that Japanese offerings have less "tech stuff". Just like Japanese copied Germans, some new technologies appeared first on Japanese cars.

Quick Reply: Lexus still sets the luxury SUV standard