Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Lexus still sets the luxury SUV standard

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Huge market - and China is where Audi introduced the Q5 as Audi is the mfr for the gov. cars
Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audihonda
You're right. People seem to think BMW or Audi maintenance is more expensive than Lexus.
Dunno about BMW or Audi for that matter but I can say when I owned a MB and a Lexus @ the same time, the MB was a heck of a lot more to service than the Lexus.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audihonda
As an example, BMW and Audi require oil change / maintenance about every 10k to 15k miles, due to their use of synthetic oil, whereas Lexus and other Japanese brands still recommend every 5k miles. Over a year's time, there's no significant difference in price.
We have an '04 Acura TSX and the manual does say 10k mile oil changes, and that doesn't even say you need to do synthetic. I change oil every 10k with Mobil 1 - it's possible I could go even longer.

Acura dealer of course recommends every 5k!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hmn4858
Dunno about BMW or Audi for that matter but I can say when I owned a MB and a Lexus @ the same time, the MB was a heck of a lot more to service than the Lexus.
I can compare my wife Acura and my BMW - first 2 yrs - Acura was in the shop 2.5:1 more then BMW. But after 3 yr - all problem on Acura gone and I start having problem with BMW.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Car and Driver magazine pitted the Q5 against the RX and several peer SUVs and the Q5 came out on top. In fact, the RX came in fourth place! Personally, I would not rank it that low but I would rather have the Q5.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Of course, the ultimate review is your own. I have driven both and the Q5 is by far the better “driver’s car.” Your mother or grandmother would likely prefer the RX.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BayGBM
Car and Driver magazine pitted the Q5 against the RX and several peer SUVs and the Q5 came out on top. In fact, the RX came in fourth place! Personally, I would not rank it that low but I would rather have the Q5.

Of course, the ultimate review is your own. I have driven both and the Q5 is by far the better “driver’s car.” Your mother or grandmother would likely prefer the RX.
This is exactly how I see on same car and model:
MBZ- car for passengers
Audi/BMW - car for driver enthusiasts (or for some to show up to the neighbor - Look, Ma, what I can afford now)
Accord, Maxima,G37, TL - car for male drivers
Camry, RX350, MDX - car for female drivers
Cadillac de Ville - car for retired ppl
Volvo - not a car at all
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BayGBM

Car and driver always rate Lexus low, while Consumer report always rank Lexus at the top. Two different rating systems really. Bottom line is if you think of your car as an household appliance, then buy a Lexus. If you want your car to have soul and personality and have fun driving it, then buy a BMW or Audi.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

WOW! I am so glad that I never drove the previous generations of RX because if this one is not considered boaty floaty, then the previous generations must have been horrendous by my standard....! :-)
Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wanderer1980
WOW! I am so glad that I never drove the previous generations of RX because if this one is not considered boaty floaty, then the previous generations must have been horrendous by my standard....! :-)
We have a previous gen RX, and it rides much better than the 2010 RX, but not nearly so well as the Q5. In fact, I found the new RX to have a really junky ride. The Q5 could be driven like my A6, it just feels right... to me. My wife still prefers the RX though. The 2nd gen RX that is.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a RX 350 for a couple of years and was so wowed by the thought of a redesign, that a couple of months before my lease was up, while I was at my Lexus dealership and saw the brand new model, said I literally take it right there that day if the price was right.
Anyhow, I eagerally awaited my first test drive with the new 350 and I was never so underwhelmed with the driving experience as I was with that 350. I am not one of these sporty drivers who enjoys feeling every ping and ding in the road, but there was absolutely no connection to the road from the wheel. Lexus has it's positives - reliability, quality materials, fit and finish and excellent customer service, but literally 5 minutes into the Q5 and I was hooked. It is an oversimplification to say the Audi Q5 is a driver's car, the 350 is a woman's/commuter/ cushy car, but there is truth to it. IMHO, Audi did it's homework with the Q5 and is reaping the rewards in terms of increased sales and reputation. But damn it Audi, if MBZ can do it, why can't you do something with that $%&*^% brake dust!

Bob

Quick Reply: Lexus still sets the luxury SUV standard