Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Lexus vs Audi reliability ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
I know that CR-V has a mediocre AWD system, because I went off road with it, and I was stuck in sand. Though after the AWD firmware update it has improved by a large margin. That rear differential pump needs improvement. Tested it again through the same conditions and I did not manage to get stuck in my later 2 tests, sandy hill climb and beach driving but it can overheat quickly in off road snow conditions, as tested by others. For this reason my wife got the new CR-V EX-L (at the time new, fully loaded) and I purchased a used Q5 2009 (50% loaded, now close to 85%, remaining extended can technologies only). After all my retrofits the Q5 has more technologies than the CR-V (even I have retrofitted the genuine alarm audi system successfully) and has earned the family car title. CR-V cannot match the AWD capability, Engine Performance, Audi Drive Select ADS, HILL HOLD and looks of a Q5. In addition CR-V came with a useless navigation system without Cyprus maps. Space wise the luggage compartment of CR-V is just a bit larger and does not have the hump at the rear. No other advantages over my Q5, apart probably from reliability.

SH-AWD has similar specs as quattro does it not? I have seen in the past off road snow tests with SH-AWD system, and I was amazed. Subaru has made the mistake. now has a CVT transmission, no low gear, and does not look as nice as Audi Q5 nor as RDX. Subaru is not in my future list yet . (I dont have one ).
CR-V back seat is a lot bigger. Trunk is significantly bigger in all dimensions. Front is a little bigger too. We had a 2017. But never could get the seat position right and while better than most midsize SUV's on the market for dynamics, was still a bit lifeless. Had a few other drivetrain gremlins too and took forever to heat up in cold weather. Needs a supplemental heater like the Q5 TDI. The generator load on the engine also causes it to warm up faster too. Ideally it would have a even bigger heater and a heat pump in cold climates. But that's a whole other issue.