Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Locked my kids in the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

The door does not lock itself unless the car is not moving faster than 15 km / h
In the car setting, central locking can enable or disable auto lock
If the car is locked and accidentally unlock it with the remote control if you do not open any doors will lock again for 4-5 minutes

Apologize for my English
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a solution: Always have the key in your pocket. I personally never get our of the door without my key in the pocket.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Key is always in my pocket, +1 for keyless entry.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had this happen with my dog once when I had my BMW 330xi. The door locks were on the center console and she stepped onto the center console just as I stepped away. I had to coax her back onto the center console to unlock the doors.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spijun
If the car is locked and accidentally unlock it with the remote control if you do not open any doors will lock again for 4-5 minutes

Apologize for my English
The doors will relock in 30 seconds if you unlock with remote and do not open a door.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never leave the engine running and leave the kids in the car even for a split second. Shut the engine off and take the keys with you. What a "dumb feature" mention early..... it's up to you to keep your family safe. Have a nice day!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stash64
I had this happen with my dog once when I had my BMW 330xi. The door locks were on the center console and she stepped onto the center console just as I stepped away. I had to coax her back onto the center console to unlock the doors.
You expect anyone to believe you were able to get the dog to step on the door lock switch? Does your dog chauffeur you around, too?

Also, to Rommel; your expostulation is spoken like a person who 1) does not have kids and 2) does not live in the South. Don't forget Audi pioneered the shift lockout (with the urging of the US Government) as a result of "unintended acceleration". Kids under five feet tall would be virtually prevented from putting the car in gear, but of course one may return to the wipers sweeping the dry glass on high and many other objectionable switch actuations!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Some people are mixing 2 things. Auto lock closes 4 doors, when the car starts moving, can be opened from inside. Child lock prevents rear doors from being opened from the inside, even when doors are unlocked, but can be opened from the outside. I locked myself inside a car when i was very young, police opened the door by going in with a hook manually from the window seal. Kids do this.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

The only time the car locks itself standing is if you remotely open a locked car and do nothing, it locks itself after a minute or so.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
You expect anyone to believe you were able to get the dog to step on the door lock switch? Does your dog chauffeur you around, too?
That's funny ! She's a smart dog, but not that smart, and she's too small to reach the pedals anyway. I was surprised and so relieved at how quickly she unlocked the doors for me. Funny, but absolutely true.

Quick Reply: Locked my kids in the car