Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Might be saying farewell to our Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I am a young guy and do not mind the comfort of the RX350 at all. Its suppose to feel this way. It allows for transport of the family in good comfort for road trips and around town without vibration or harshness. I drive a 2013 GS350 F-sport also and its a bit firm and gives more road feel then my 2011 BMW 5 that I traded in so Lexus are not all boring. Its depend on what model you pick and the demographics it cater to. The Audi Q5 is a bit bumpy and firm but decreasing pressure in tire can help. We have Michelin latitudes on this car but its not smoother then our Mercedes Ml350 which is a perfect balance SUV. Not sure why none of you consider the ML? Its reliable now and we have done 75k on 2 of them from 2006-2012. We got a 2013 ML350 bluetec with airmatic suspension and its amazing and handles better then the RX or Q5.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rory breaker
From what I have gathered the F-sport is a dog in terms of straight line acceleration/throttle response. We didn't even consider it because of that. Have you tried the 2013 Q5's? Felt smooth as silk to me, maybe a suspension difference?

That trade-in is INSANE!!! 2 years, a model refresh, and 15k miles later and you only lost $6k??? Thats amazing!!!!!!! I can't speak from Q5 experience but in the general automotive word, that seems off the hook. What was your original MSRP?
What wheels are you running on it? Maybe going to a 18" might help cushion it a bit.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We test drove EVERYTHING even remotely comparable, and then some, before deciding on the 3.0T Q5.

Before the Audi was even on our radar, we went into the local Lexus dealership to see the RX. They had one of the F-Sport models, and we took it fr a test drive. My impressions:

The interior fit & finish seemed first rate. No substantial complaints.

The front, with the F chin and darker wheels looked very nice. However, the rear is no different at all. Not even an "F" badge. Totally felt half-baked.

Most importantly (at least to us guys), the drive:
Ah, the drive. In a word: Uninspired. It was literally no better and no worse than I had expected from a Lexus. It felt fairly slow off the line, didn't seem to develop much thrust even in the higher RPM band, and also braked just as leisurely. The "F" has the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, and holy cow (!!!) were those a joke. I swear it took the system two or three-seconds to initiate a shift up or down. Useless.

The ride: Again, uninspired. I wouldn't call it "harsh" by any means, but it was neither sporty, nor plush. I can see why some of the journalists have commented that it feels like Toyota simply slapped on some stiffer-rate springs, and called it a day.

One note about the "feel". I'm particularly sensitive to FWD sensations, and won't ever own one again. Despite the "AWD" designation, don't forget that all those Lexus/Toyota models use a FWD system, with a rear assist. I think, at max, the rear still only receives a small percentage of the torque, and only in wet or slippery conditions. So it felt just like a FWD car. NOTHING like the Audi or Subaru AWD superiority.

Tech: Not even close, again. Their new mouse-controller is as bad as the reviews indicate. It's almost impossible to finesse the cursor, and even harder when driving. Plus, they waste all that extra space with that weird wrist support thing. Huh? The Germans have it right, by adding their interface towards the center armrest.

Also, and it's no small point at all. The rear view camera on the RX feels like a complete afterthought. It's literally just a camera, without one single over-layed graphic. Not even a little line for the bumper. Just embarrassingly bad.

The loaded F Sport model could have been had for about $4,000 grand less than our P+ 3.0T S-Line MMI Audi. But I'll tell you what, that additional $4K is the best bargain in the world, considering how much nicer in every way, the Audi really is.