Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Mild delay in shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mild delay in shifting

Dear Q5 Owners:

Any of you notice a bit of a delay when shifting from first gear to second gear? The transition is not as smooth compare to when shifting from second gear to third gear and so on...

I have had numerous updates including the new ECM update. I noticed less hesitation but shifting from first to second gear is still noticeably rough.

Topgun77
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would say I have. Especially if you are rolling at less than 5 miles per hour coming to a stop at a light and then it turns green. The transmission doesn't like the change and hesitates shifting.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by abacon09
I would say I have. Especially if you are rolling at less than 5 miles per hour coming to a stop at a light and then it turns green. The transmission doesn't like the change and hesitates shifting.
Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just picked up my Q on Saturday. It has 8 speed tiptronic. Only 180 miles so far but I did notice a stutter/shudder in the very low gear shift. More so slowing to a stop in D. Not sure if trans shifts from 2 to 1 or a higher gear to 1. Almost seems as though whole drivetrain shakes abit. All other shifts are as smoth as silk. Hopefully this will improve as parts "break in".
Old 11-28-2011, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,
have they done the tsb/campaign 37G1 - TCM Software update to tranny ?

We haven't had any issues with trans - love the 8 speed !
but they did this anyway as this supposedly smooths out the 2 to 1 downshift....

my impression of the change ?
it downshifts at a lower rpm now to make it less of a slow down...

only thing I didn't like about this change
is now I have to reset my gear display in drive to show the D1, D2, etc... instead of just the D as I lose count on which gear it is in with 8 of them to keep up with

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 11-28-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I had the problem when you're rolling slowly to a light you can feel it shudder in the back end. It got worse and worse a month ago and I took it in and Audi fixed it "no problems". Apparently the [transmission control module?] had deleted it's own software or something, and they reflashed it and it worked fine. I've noticed it a bit from time to time, but not as bad as it was.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
John,
have they done the tsb/campaign 37G1 - TCM Software update to tranny ?

We haven't had any issues with trans - love the 8 speed !
but they did this anyway as this supposedly smooths out the 2 to 1 downshift....

my impression of the change ?
it downshifts at a lower rpm now to make it less of a slow down...

only thing I didn't like about this change
is now I have to reset my gear display in drive to show the D1, D2, etc... instead of just the D as I lose count on which gear it is in with 8 of them to keep up with
Hi JBT,

Thanks for the info. I don't know about the TCM flash. The Q just just got off the boat on Nov. 17, so I would think it was up to date. I suppose I could ask the dealer (who is 125 miles away) , but I doubt they did anything but clean it up and the usual prep.

I don't understand what you are saying about the driver dash display...when my Q is in D its shows only D in display no gears. When in S-tronic manual it shows M1, M2, M3 and so on I believe, I could be D1,D2,D3....on my way home from dealer I used M?5,6,7 and 8 to mix up the revs during break in.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, the d1, d2, etc... display is not stock...
There's a vagcom 'tweak' that changes the D display to show the individuals gears....

and so when they did flash my tcm, it overlaid my program with the new one and took away my d1, d2, d3....

I can fix it by getting out the vagcom and laptop and reprogramming...
Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun77
Dear Q5 Owners:

Any of you notice a bit of a delay when shifting from first gear to second gear? The transition is not as smooth compare to when shifting from second gear to third gear and so on...

I have had numerous updates including the new ECM update. I noticed less hesitation but shifting from first to second gear is still noticeably rough.

Topgun77
What drivetrain do you have?

In our 3.2 6-speed, the 1-2 transition is not smooth when cold. It tends to hold first gear too long - under moderate throttle, where you'd expect a shift at 2-2.5k RPM, it tends to wind out to around 3.5-4k followed by a hard 1-2 upshift.

Using manual mode eliminates the problem.

Once warmed up, it performs much smoother.

Quick Reply: Mild delay in shifting