Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI/AMI Q5 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI/AMI Q5 question

Hello everyone - I've been lurking in this forum for a couple of weeks now trying to pick up chat about the Q5 - I have one on order, not in the US where I'm currently living, but back home in the UK. That's because I'm headed back there later this summer after three great years here in the States.

I'm excited about my Q5 - a UK 2.0 TFSI SE spec with plenty of extras - and I've drawn a deep breath and gone for Garnet Red which some of you think is a little bold, but I thought it looked fabulous on a Q7 I saw, so I'm crossing my fingers it looks just as good on the Q5.

Anyway, I had some questions about the MMI and AMI that I can't find answers to anywhere, and my UK dealer didn't know (and couldn't find out either)...I'm hoping someone out there with a Q5 can help...

The main one is:

- I intend to have my phone plugged into the AMI via the USB port and connected via Blueooth. That phone is capable of taking a 16GB SDHC card (I've read the in-dash SD slots don't take SDHC cards) which can take all my 13GB of MP3/WMA music on it. Is it possible to browse the SDHC card in my phone via the AMI so all my music is in one place? Does putting all 6,500 tracks (in 493 separate album folders) on my phone cause file/folder size limit problems? If you can browse the music on the phone's SDHC card, can it still be connected to the car via bluetooth to provide phone service?

The others are:

- In relation to the MMI SD Slots, it seems to be the case from looking through the forum that they will only take old generation SD Cards, not the more up to date SDHC Cards. Is this still the case, even with the third generation system?

- What’s the latest maximum number of files and directories you can have on an SD card in the MMI. Older forums say it’s 512, but I found a screen grab from a Symphony radio manual that seemed to suggest a year ago it had gone up to 2048. Is this still the case or is it higher now?

- In terms of the 10GB available on the 40GB hard disk for music files, is there also a limit to the number of files and folders?

Thanks everyone - I'm enjoying reading everyone's experiences of the Q5 and I'll post pictures of mine from the UK when I get it later this year.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Arkansas Brit? I am in Arkansas, where you at?

What is funny is I am considering Garnet Red still for my order and as you should know from living in this state for 3 years.. Around here it wouldn't be called Garnet Red, it would be called Razorback Red

To attempt to answer your question you might try to get to the Audi dealer at Little Rock. They will let you hook up your phone to their demo and play around with all those things.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

SDHC Cards work in the SD slots, biggest i have tried is a 4GB.

heard max is 32GB
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys - good to hear about the SDHC - I didn't think those cards would work.

Funny that you're also thinking about Garnet Red Mr Arkansas - maybe the whole Razorback-thing rubbed off on me more than I thought !

I tried, but could never quite get the hang of calling those hogs...
Old 05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a Garnet Red Q5 - Looks stunning on this car. A real head turner, with a number of compliments received from total strangers in my first 4 weeks with it.

I can't answer all your questions but I can catagorically state that my car does NOT accept SDHC cards - I tried several from different high end manufacturers. Only SD cards will work. I have only been able to locate 2GB cards but according to the manual a 4GB SD card is the max it will accept so I am guessing there are 4GB SD cards available somewhere out there.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GregH
I have a Garnet Red Q5 - Looks stunning on this car. A real head turner, with a number of compliments received from total strangers in my first 4 weeks with it.
Pics!!! Give me some good pics I won't be finalizing my order till next week.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ArkansasBrit
Funny that you're also thinking about Garnet Red Mr Arkansas - maybe the whole Razorback-thing rubbed off on me more than I thought !

I tried, but could never quite get the hang of calling those hogs...
Hehe yeah it takes some getting used to. Maybe when I do my European Delivery I can find my way to England and you can show me a quaint local custom
Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here some information regarding SD and SDHC Cards (directly from Germany).

Possible:
With Radios Concert & Symphony: Max 1x4 GB SD
With MMI Navigation plus: Max 2x32 GB SD-HC

Therefore, if you have Navigation in your Q5 - you do not have problems using SD-HC cards. Regular Symphony can only take the regular/old SD Cards.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cavalier
Pics!!! Give me some good pics I won't be finalizing my order till next week.
Hope my pics in the other thread helped Cavalier? In which direction did they push you?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GregH
Hope my pics in the other thread helped Cavalier? In which direction did they push you?
Man don't even ask me that. I am going to the Dealer on Saturday to close the deal and make my final choices. And I swear I do not know yet what color Im putting down and probably will sit there with Pen poised over the check box agonizing over it for 10 minutes before I pick one.

The honest to god truth is just about all colors look fantastic on a Q5. By personal preference I have ruled out White and Blue, not that they look bad just not colors I like much. Just about every friggin thing else is still on the table.

Tony's Grey looks steller and Your Garnet Red is great. I also think Black and Silver would be awesome. I really cannot go wrong with any of them. I need to get married for one day so an opinionated woman can tell me what to get, then we can get a quicky annullment before I go to Europe and meet my European dream girl!

Hey if your gonna have a dream.. dream big! Right?

Quick Reply: MMI/AMI Q5 question