Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI & Blackberry - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kulanu
I have a 2010 Q5. I have been using a new Blackberry Tour (Verizon) and, for the past 4 weeks, it paired beautifully and worked great with the MMI. Suddenly, now when the Bluetooth is connected with the MMI it will cancel whatever audio is playing (as if a call were being placed) and the MMI thinks that the phone is in use. This is without dialing out or any other action except for the automatic connection to the MMI via Bluetooth. I have tried rebooting the BB. I have brought the car into Audi and they say that there is no known issue with the BB and MMI and that my MMI software is up to date. They simply said "its your phone, not our car". With this issue, I cannot use the phone and the audio.

Has anyone had any issue with Blackberry and MMI? I am at a total loss here.

Many thanks
I too have a BB Tour (Sprint), and have had intermittent problems the past couple of weeks connecting to MMI with Bluetooth, though with different symptoms. I think it either has to do with
a) upgrading my Blackberry OS or
b) adding an application to my phone that's conflicting with the phone somehow.

Have you done anything new to your phone recently (e.g. new app).

If you're not partial to the data on your phone, you could reformat back to factory settings. Obviously last option...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zaki626
I too have a BB Tour (Sprint), and have had intermittent problems the past couple of weeks connecting to MMI with Bluetooth, though with different symptoms. I think it either has to do with
a) upgrading my Blackberry OS or
b) adding an application to my phone that's conflicting with the phone somehow.

Have you done anything new to your phone recently (e.g. new app).

If you're not partial to the data on your phone, you could reformat back to factory settings. Obviously last option...
Zaki:

Thank you for your reply. I did upgrade the firmware on BB Tour. This was several weeks prior to the issue happening. I am going to take your suggestion and return to original settings and see if that does the trick.

Best,

David
Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

David,

The EXACT same thing happened to me. BB Tour, Q5, same problems. Audi had no clue how to resolve it. They showed me that they could pair other phones so it was pretty much my problem. I upgraded the BB OS, unpaired the phone, did EVERYTHING. Finally, after my 5th attempt at re-pairing the phone it was successful. It worked fine for a few months and the other day it cut out again so I have to take the time to make several attempts to repair.

I do think I know what caused it to get screwed up this time; I was talking on the phone when I got in the car and picked up another call on call waiting. When I hung up the phone, the other call was still active. The phone rang w/ the "UNKOWN NUMBER" which is usually the other active call and I just hung up. That's when MMI freaked out this time. So I'll be troubleshooting it again today.

So I don't have a real answer for you, but trying the exact same thing over and over again in vain seemed to help me the first time
Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a BB Tour with no problems so far. I did update software and with 14 updates advised. But had no problems prior.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by battles2a5
David,

The EXACT same thing happened to me. BB Tour, Q5, same problems. Audi had no clue how to resolve it. They showed me that they could pair other phones so it was pretty much my problem. I upgraded the BB OS, unpaired the phone, did EVERYTHING. Finally, after my 5th attempt at re-pairing the phone it was successful. It worked fine for a few months and the other day it cut out again so I have to take the time to make several attempts to repair.

I do think I know what caused it to get screwed up this time; I was talking on the phone when I got in the car and picked up another call on call waiting. When I hung up the phone, the other call was still active. The phone rang w/ the "UNKOWN NUMBER" which is usually the other active call and I just hung up. That's when MMI freaked out this time. So I'll be troubleshooting it again today.

So I don't have a real answer for you, but trying the exact same thing over and over again in vain seemed to help me the first time
Good News: Working again. At least for now. Here are the steps I went through in the hope that others troubleshooting the same issue will know what we know. I do not know which of these actions made the difference.

1. Updated BB OS
2. Reset BB (took battery out)
3. Cleared all profiles from MMI and re paired BB (3X) - It was on the 3rd time doing this that it worked.

I suspect the call waiting feature might have triggered it must as you surmise. Since this feature is not compatible with the MMI, it is possible that trying to accept a call waiting (it is reflexive for me so I do it unconsciously) "confuses" the MMI and it thinks a call is in progress even though the session has completed. I would not be surprised if this is the issue here.

Thank you all for collaborating on this. I will report back if something glitches anew.

All the best,

David
Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default BB Tour and A6

I have a 2010 A6 and a Blackberry Tour. I had the same problem mentioned above (the MMI thinks it is connected to an unknown number as soon as it syncs with the phone). I am surprised that I can still dial another number from the phone and use the handsfree. When I hang up, the MMI is again confused and thinks it is connected to an unknown number. The problem is when I don't want to talk on the phone, the audio doesn't work because the system thinks the phone is on.

I tried all the above and just went without handsfree for a while. Then my BB had an upgrade that occurred automatically and it started working. It lasted 2 weeks and now I have the same problem.

I will try updating the software, removing the battery, and repairing the phone. Hopefully it will work!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys, I have all your answers LOL well maybe not all of them but have seen this problem and can recreate.
I had the same problem and it was frustrating. The problem for me was caused when I was on a call and someone tried to call and I tried to use the MMI to switch the call over. This for some reason sets the MMI in a loop (in my case) and no matter what I try it would act the way you've all described.
The way I've resolved it was to disconnec the MMI BT and then reconnect it. I'm always updating the the latest firmware on my storm so I knew that wasn't the problem, and removing the connection either on the MMI or the BB never fixed the problem. Disableing the BT on the MMI was the only way I could repeat the fix.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is the MMI BT and how do I disconnect it?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Pasta
What is the MMI BT and how do I disconnect it?
MMI BT is Multy Media Interface Blue Tooth.

Trying to think on the top of my head ... go to phone, then I think the bottom right corner shows BT ... and I think it's in there. I'll go out and double check. Ottawa's playing like **** anyway!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, go to SetUP, then Bluetooth, then you will see it on and off. Turn it off, then back on and that should free up the phone to be reconnected properly.