Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Display Refurbish

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night time results

Here's the final result after installing the Targus screen protector. It's not terribly matte. In fact, it is less matte than the actual surface of the display. The colors are definitely more vivid than I remember them being. The original blue coating affected the colors far more than the new screen protector. I'll reserve my final judgement until I log some miles during the day.
Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Like golfnguitarz asked.....
What is the best way to clean a STOCK screen? And specific products to find, and products to avoid? I really dont want to screw my good screen up.
Thanks
Chris
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Very well done
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
Like golfnguitarz asked.....
What is the best way to clean a STOCK screen? And specific products to find, and products to avoid? I really dont want to screw my good screen up.
Thanks
Chris
Here's my advice... Don't use a rag dampened with Windex. That's all I did and it ruined my display. Whatever you do I wouldn't apply much pressure. Very light brushing is all I would do.

For what it's worth, page 241 of my manual states the following...

--------------------------
- Clean the display with a soft clean cloth and an LCD cleaner.

The display can be cleaned with a professionally available "LCD cleaner". The cloth should be slightly dampened with the cleaning fluid to clean the display.

! To avoid scratching the display, you should never clean it dry.
--------------------------

I'm not sure I buy that either. That blue AF coating is not a typical LCD feature. I think you're at risk with any type of cleaning agent. I also believe age plays a factor. The exposed blue coating was much easier to remove than the unexposed parts behind the main plastic bezel.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK...here is what I did.
When and if you go to one of those eyeglasses places they sell a pump spray bottle cleaner just for the delicate "plastic" type lenses. I'm talking about the BEST stuff they have. It works great, just use cotton ***** and press lightly. I just did my display and it looks great, and my glasses look great too.
Hope that helps
Chris
Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Final Verdict

I'm quite pleased with the daytime results after installing the Targus, so I snapped the plastic bezel back in and took some final pictures. The display brightness was set right in the middle of the dial in all pictures.

Do I wish I had my original unblemished screen back? Yes.
Will a trained eye notice that this Q5's MMI is unlike all others? Probably not.
Have I achieved an equivalent level of anti-refection? Possibly not, but it's good enough.
Is this solution more vibrant and colorful? Yes!
Is this screen protector more durable than the original screen? Absolutely!
Am I happy that I didn't have to spend $1300 on a brand new display? YES!

One final tip for removing the bezel... It pulls directly outward. What you want to do is hook it from behind and pull straight out. Be careful to hook the backside of the bezel itself. It is quite easy to hook the little chrome ring instead. If you feel the chrome ring starting to give stop and push your tool in deeper and hook the backside of the bezel itself.

Many thanks to everyone who supported me on this fix!

Regards,
Scott
Attached Images     
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good job Scott!

It looks great!

Thanks for the pictures. I didn't took the time to take some while I repaired mine. Now it is well documented.

Martin

Originally Posted by scottndsky
I'm quite pleased with the daytime results after installing the Targus, so I snapped the plastic bezel back in and took some final pictures. The display brightness was set right in the middle of the dial in all pictures.

Do I wish I had my original unblemished screen back? Yes.
Will a trained eye notice that this Q5's MMI is unlike all others? Probably not.
Have I achieved an equivalent level of anti-refection? Possibly not, but it's good enough.
Is this solution more vibrant and colorful? Yes!
Is this screen protector more durable than the original screen? Absolutely!
Am I happy that I didn't have to spend $1300 on a brand new display? YES!

One final tip for removing the bezel... It pulls directly outward. What you want to do is hook it from behind and pull straight out. Be careful to hook the backside of the bezel itself. It is quite easy to hook the little chrome ring instead. If you feel the chrome ring starting to give stop and push your tool in deeper and hook the backside of the bezel itself.

Many thanks to everyone who supported me on this fix!

Regards,
Scott
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Having applied these things to mt iPad on occasion, very important to get the surface 100% dust free which is easier said than done. As you wipe, dust settles in another spot... Make sure the cloth you wipe with is completely lint free.

What does work very well for eliminating dust is some kits that include an adhesive paper sheet. You press this down on the clean screen and peel it off to remove all traces of fluff and stuff. Gotta get the protective film down quickly after that as dust will always be in the air.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

To bring this back to life
From what I read; use "1Z Cockpit Premium" to clean yours creens, new ones or your old ones.
It is easy to find on the Internet.
Probably covered but just in case.
I hope this helps.
Chris
Old 09-15-2013, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default MMI Screen Replacment

Looking for opinion on my problem. When I picked up my new Q5 from the dealer last month I discovered a scratch on the MMI screen when I got home. I took a pic and they said they will replace as it is under warranty of course. The problem is they have never replaced one of these before so I am worried that they will mess up my dash taking it out. Is that something anyone has experience with and do you think I should find another dealer so my MMI replacement does not get botched.

Quick Reply: MMI Display Refurbish