Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI Frustation

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default MMI Frustation

Am I the only one experiencing difficulties with the voice recognition commands with the MMI? When giving verbal commands for phoning - ex. "dial MOM, dial home", etc. - all familiar in the system, I repeatedly get "excuse me" "need help?" or some such nonsense. Sometimes it takes so many attempts that I simply just speak out the actual numbers. I did use the feature to have them recognize my voice, but this is way frustrating.

Bob
Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Am I the only one experiencing difficulties with the voice recognition commands with the MMI? When giving verbal commands for phoning - ex. "dial MOM, dial home", etc. - all familiar in the system, I repeatedly get "excuse me" "need help?" or some such nonsense. Sometimes it takes so many attempts that I simply just speak out the actual numbers. I did use the feature to have them recognize my voice, but this is way frustrating.

Bob
sorry to hear your issue ... but I would rather have mine say 'excuse me' vs. mine will just dial the wrong number then I am scrambling to disconnect!
or can you press the 'voice button again' and say disconnect or cancel?? have to try that one...
I also have found my biggest issue in the recognition is if I do not say EXACTLY how a number is entered i.e. if I say "call kennel" yet it is entered as "kennel barking dog" it doesn't work properly.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try saying call mom or call home instead of dial mom, it might work better.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by The G Man
Try saying call mom or call home instead of dial mom, it might work better.
Hey G Man,

Been there, done that. I'm going to give everything another try in a few minutes.

Bob
Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rather annoying but simple solution: switch off car, pull key and start over. Sometimes you get a random mike gain problem. I never found any other way to cure it.
PS. I used to turn it into a game for the kids/passengers on a long trip.. get in a row with her or accuse her of being deaf. "What do you think I should do now?" "Cancel"
If I rob a bank will you turn me in or give me a pardon... "Pardon".
Maybe the wording is different in US but you get the idea.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 03-30-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Try to use voice recognition learning system, see if that helps.
It will take you for about 15 min ride through commands and phrases.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've noticed too that once it misunderstands something in a session it gets worse until you cancel out and let it sit for a few minutes. There's probably some adaptation code going on where it tries to adjust as you speak but it gets confused. My wife and I had a really funny session with it one day where it got something wrong then no matter what we said it came up with increasingly insane choices. It would have made a funny YouTube video.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m

Bob
When you say "dial..." the MMI expects a numerical entry, when you say "call..." it is expecting a name from your directory. The manual for the MMI goes over these differences.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have done the voice recognition learning thing. Maybe needs to be done again. I see the difference between the call number and dial number, but still doesn't pick up correctly. The message is "pardon?". This doesn't happen all the time, but enough so it ain't anywhere near as helpful as it ought to be.

B
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree it can definitely be frustrating! Strangely enough "dial" name works better for me than "call" name, so go figure. I also find that speaking in a normal volume and speed is better than louder and slower. May be something there to the mic gain mentioned earlier.

Quick Reply: MMI Frustation