Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI Jukebox Playlist

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MMI Jukebox Playlist

Anyone know if there is any way to select songs you like and create a playlist from the songs you copied on the MMI Jukebox?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to create a M3U file which is a playlist and the Jukebox should recognize it. I haven't done one yet on our Q5 since I mainly just use the iPod but I'll play with it tonight and let you know.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LTMcGill
You should be able to create a M3U file which is a playlist and the Jukebox should recognize it. I haven't done one yet on our Q5 since I mainly just use the iPod but I'll play with it tonight and let you know.
Apologies for digging up an old thread. But just wanted to close this issue by saying that the Jukebox does not support playlists. You can only use playlists when you play music of the SD card or a connected ipod/phone.

Having playlists would have been fantastic.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mpraju
Apologies for digging up an old thread. But just wanted to close this issue by saying that the Jukebox does not support playlists. You can only use playlists when you play music of the SD card or a connected ipod/phone.

Having playlists would have been fantastic.
yea its odd that they did not include this as a feature. I guess back to shuffling the entire list and skip as necessary!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is the audio quality the same whether the source is the iPod, jukebox, or SD card? I've only used an iPod for my playlists so far.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

the audio quality is the same if you're playing the exact same file on either of the sources.
I don't have an ipod/phone, does it also classify the songs automatically by Artist and Albums based on the ID3 tags apart from supporting playlists.

If so I would consider forgetting about the jukebox and the Sd card and buy a cheap ipod.

Its strange that the SD card supports playlists. but will not categorize music. The Jukebox will auto categorize music by Artists ALbums and Genres but does not have playlists.. WTF Audi?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mpraju, the reason that I ask is that my last car was a BMW with a factory installed iPod adapter and upgraded Logic 7 sound system. With that system, the audio quality from CDs was higher than from the iPod. I assume it had something to do with the iPod adapter reducing the sound quality. I was just curious if someone on this forum has actually compared the audio quality between the various sources.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by calberk95
Mpraju, the reason that I ask is that my last car was a BMW with a factory installed iPod adapter and upgraded Logic 7 sound system. With that system, the audio quality from CDs was higher than from the iPod. I assume it had something to do with the iPod adapter reducing the sound quality. I was just curious if someone on this forum has actually compared the audio quality between the various sources.

Oh.. if you're comparing CDs with an ipod then its no contest. CD Wins. Mp3s and AAC are compressed .. some more than others so naturally you would lose some fidelity which you could notice

if you took the same Mp3 and played it on the ipod/jukebox/sd card it would sound the same.

I tried a friends iphone and it sounded great.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mpraju
Oh.. if you're comparing CDs with an ipod then its no contest. CD Wins. Mp3s and AAC are compressed .. some more than others so naturally you would lose some fidelity which you could notice

if you took the same Mp3 and played it on the ipod/jukebox/sd card it would sound the same.

I tried a friends iphone and it sounded great.
I burn at 320kbps with VBR and I notice a difference between ipod and jukebox/sd cards. I equate this to the fact that the digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion occurs on the ipod since the connection to the AMI/MMI is analog. In the case of the jukebox and sd cards the D/A conversion occurs within the head unit (like you I have B&O and Nav which uses a fibre optic main link) which will almost always have a superior D/A converter. I believe I read somewhere that the B&O uses a different D/A converter than the non B&O unit and will try and locate the source.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Doesn't VBR reduce the quality of the burn?