Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI Navigation not letting me input full house address!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Navigation not letting me input full house address!?

It may be some simple setting or perhaps it was the way it was designed (which would be pretty dumb) but for some reason the navigation isn't letting me input the full street number after entering the city and street. For instance, my house number is 110-11 but it'll only let me input 110 and the only options after that are backspace or OK. I also tried putting in my parents address which is 52-55 but it only let me put in 52. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I share your frustration. I have a 2006 Acura and have no problem entering addresses. Lots of problems with the Audi - maybe I am doing something wrong.
Here in Wisconsin we have addresses that are like coordinates-
N14W5690 Main St
Anyplace, Wisconsin

Works in the Acura but not in the Audi. And just so you know, as I understand it, both Nav systems are working off the same database.

Frustrating that I can buy a $79 portable unit that works better.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

I raised this issue with at the dealer atthe 5k and 15k service and also mentioned it twice to Audi USA. It's a bug that first existed on the RNS-E as well. They fixed it there but have yet to fix it for the MMI 3G. We have lots of 22W123 and 5N456 house numbers in Illinois and the MMI 3G almost crashes after entering the 22 or 6.

last time Audi said it's Navteq (but it can't be Navteq because it's fixed on the RNS-E) and I will keep asking Audi for a solution because once the next gen MMI is being released there won't be any bug fixes for the 3G anymore and we are stuck with this bug.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have nav, but just wondering: does it have the function to save current location as a future destination? Most portable GPS systems do have this function, of course this would require you to be at the location first, so works for frequently visited locations like home, work, dad's house, etc.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can enter a current location, but as you said it's useless if you are not there.

Last edited by Winter Cabriolet; 04-05-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SGT712
I also tried putting in my parents address which is 52-55 but it only let me put in 52. Is there something I'm missing?
I'm not surprised it didn't take it. I'm pretty sure my Nuvi wouldn't take "52-55" either. A house # of "52-55" seems odd to me...never heard of such a thing. Would it take "52" and get you close?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I'm not surprised it didn't take it. I'm pretty sure my Nuvi wouldn't take "52-55" either. A house # of "52-55" seems odd to me...never heard of such a thing. Would it take "52" and get you close?
Pretty common in NYC, particularly Queens. My former address was 58-60. Not because it was a range; but because it was the intersection of 58th Road and 60th Avenue, for instance. I can get around the other boroughs blindfolded but I still get lost in Queens to this day.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah. Same problem here. Anywhere I go into NYC, I have that problem. I basically have to take out my Android phone and google map for the intersection. I also have an old nuvi in the glove storage too if I don't have my phone with me. The nuvi will recognize all addresses I enter in there.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I experienced the same thing on my first attempt to enter an address. We gave up and just entered the nearest intersection and got to our destination. When I got home, I ran through a couple of known addresses using the voice recognition and that worked just fine (5 numbers). I then went back in using the manual controls and it allowed me to enter the 5 numbers for the house number that had failed while on the road. I'm not sure if I had unknowingly entered the wrong street the first time, I don't think I did, but it sure wouldn't allow for any more than 3 numbers on my first live attempt. It may have simply been a fluke, but try doing the voice recognition entry and then go back and try the manual method. Good luck, I hope you have success.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
These addresses with dashes are all over Queens, NY as hawke94 mentioned. Just putting in 52 doesn't take me anywhere near the intended destination.

Quick Reply: MMI Navigation not letting me input full house address!?