Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI Navigation not letting me input full house address!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger K
I experienced the same thing on my first attempt to enter an address. We gave up and just entered the nearest intersection and got to our destination. When I got home, I ran through a couple of known addresses using the voice recognition and that worked just fine (5 numbers). I then went back in using the manual controls and it allowed me to enter the 5 numbers for the house number that had failed while on the road. I'm not sure if I had unknowingly entered the wrong street the first time, I don't think I did, but it sure wouldn't allow for any more than 3 numbers on my first live attempt. It may have simply been a fluke, but try doing the voice recognition entry and then go back and try the manual method. Good luck, I hope you have success.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know how it goes. I haven't fiddled with the voice commands yet.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Kinda glad I didn't order that phony nav system. Maybe they'll get it right in the next year or two.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The only reason I got it was for the backup camera. It's absurd that you can't get it as an option.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

So, as a reply to my email about the house number issue, an Audi customer service woman calls and says that she called Navteq (who makes the software according to her) and Navteq said "...that's the way it is...". I say, I bought a $3000 Audi MMI Navigation system and not a $100 Tom Tom and I expect Audi to fix this bug the same way they did with the RNS-E a few years ago. She says she will do more research and come back to me. Then the dealer calls and says that his $100000 A8 on the lot doesn't accept non-numeric house numbers either. And I ask if that should make me feel better and if I should just use the free Google maps on my iPhone (which has no problem with those adresses) to find the next cross street to navigate there.

It's not the fact that the MMI 3G has a bug, it's the fact that Audi ignores it and tries to blame Navteq that drives me mad.

To be continued...
Old 04-08-2011, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said, my Acura is Navteq also, and it takes my addresses just fine!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Audi Customer Care called me back and still insists that Navteq is the one to blame and that there is nothing they can do to fix the issue (not even open a case or change request with their OEM to escalate this issue). If any computer company would work this way, they would be out of business a long time. But I guess a German premium brand can't be made responsible for a faulty product that they sourced from an OEM. Pretty poor.

The customer care lady told me to contact Navteq directly but when I check the Navteq web site it directs Audi customers back to Audi customer service.

However, there seems to be an update in the queue for this summer that may fix the issue, I will keep my fingers crossed...
Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Audi Customer Care called me back and still insists that Navteq is the one to blame and that there is nothing they can do to fix the issue (not even open a case or change request with their OEM to escalate this issue).
Wikipedia page on MMI says Harman Becker manufactures the system.

I'm guessing the one at Audi simply does not know how to handle this type of complain, so they are just placing blames arbitrarily.

Might worth contacting Harman Becker if you want to get to the bottom of this.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SGT712
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know how it goes. I haven't fiddled with the voice commands yet.
Unfortunately, the voice commands also didn't let me input any addresses with a dash.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm having the same problem in the Q7 that I just bought in June. I'm also in NYC. I don't really care about the dashes because the iPhone Tom Tom app also won't let you input dashes, but the main problem with the Audi MMI nav is that it won't let you enter in all of the numbers for an address.

The Tom Tom app let's you enter in all the numbers without the dash and then navigates correctly. The Audi system will only let you enter in the first half of the house number. For instance if the address is 123-45 you can only enter in 123. If the address is 67-89, then you can only enter in 67. WTH!

Has anyone heard anything else recently about whether this ridiculous "bug" will be fixed in an upcoming update?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got back from the dealer. Showed him that my address could not be entered. He response was that there is nothing wrong with mine. "They all work the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

What a crock. I told him that you can't even enter my own home address. Response was to drive to my house and set it as a destination.

Quick Reply: MMI Navigation not letting me input full house address!?