Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI stopped recognizing my iphone...please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rarewolf
I don't know that I'd blame it on a bad iPhone just yet. Try deleting the bluetooth entry from your iPhone's settings, and recreating it. If it still does not work while your iPad does, then you do have a beef with Apple's iPhone support.

HTH
The OP stated his bluetooth phone was working fine. It's playing music though the AMI cable that's his problem.
If his iPhone ends up being the culprit, the only "beef" he will have with Apple is if it's still under warranty. Otherwise, it's pay to play or replace.

To the OP: one last thing to try before giving up: Restore the phone in iTunes. There's a chance that something got glitched up in the phone's IOS software that a restore might solve.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The OP stated his bluetooth phone was working fine. It's playing music though the AMI cable that's his problem.
If his iPhone ends up being the culprit, the only "beef" he will have with Apple is if it's still under warranty. Otherwise, it's pay to play or replace.

To the OP: one last thing to try before giving up: Restore the phone in iTunes. There's a chance that something got glitched up in the phone's IOS software that a restore might solve.
I tried restoring the phone and that didn't work either.....I have an appointment at the Apple store to check it out...will update on it later if it works.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jensyl
I tried restoring the phone and that didn't work either.....I have an appointment at the Apple store to check it out...will update on it later if it works.
It very well could be a problem with the Audi cable. Mine (blue grommet) is connected to an iPod Classic, and it's common for me to disconnect&reconnect it to get it to work sometimes. Last night, while driving home, I couldn't get it to work at all, so brought it into the house and reset it. It seemed to behave fine, so reconnected it to the Audi, and while I was doing so noticed the screen showing differences while holding the connector in. When I was sure it was connected properly it worked!

Good luck
Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rarewolf
It very well could be a problem with the Audi cable..
See post #9. I think OP believe that and also found the cable not to be the issue.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
See post #9. I think OP believe that and also found the cable not to be the issue.
I saw the post ... The point I was making with my anecdotal story was that "my" cable seemed to be intermittent!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finding that iOS9 in general is having issues with the Audi AMI system. I have two iPhones that i can use as a music source in my Q7 and both with iOS9 have significant issues initializing with the MMI when the car is started. I first thought it was the phone JACK connection to the cable i'm using, but i switched phones and it still has the problem.

i also get "only one accessory can be used at one time" errors since iOS9 - something I have never received before in my Audi Q7.

I have an 30-pin female adapter cable running from the MMI connection in the console and that cable runs up the center console to the the steering column. Then i have an Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter mounted in the platform that runs between the Speedometer and Tachometer. I mount my phone between them while operating the vehicle.

One workaround i've discovered is that if you have the music player app loaded and running on the screen when you start the car, the MMI will initialize the iPhone with no problems, and begin to play music at the normal time it takes to initialize. If you don't keep the music player app open and running, the iPhone will never initialize with the MMI. If i turn off the car and come back a few minutes later, the MMI will not reconnect and continue playing the song it was playing (like it always did)

I also lose connection to the MMI while songs are playing, but that is less frequent.

I believe it's a bug in the iOS version (I'm now up to 9.2.1) and it's been prevalent in all updates sine 9.0 was released.

I plan to send in feedback to Apple regarding this issue.