Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI Voice Command Accuracy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Voice Command Accuracy?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would weigh in on the accuracy of the MMI Voice Command feature for such tasks as navigation, audio adjustments, climate adjustments (if available) etc.

I'm trying to get a better sense of exactly what Voice Command on the MMI can and can not do and what it does and does not do well.

I plan on reading the manual thoroughly and setting up Voice Command properly, so I'd like input from those who have done the same. I've seen people post and complain about the Voice Command feature not working effectively and then say they haven't read the manual or bothered to set it up completely.

Basically, those who have gone through the learning/set up process, what are your opinions of this feature? I ask because I'd rather use Voice Command then deal with the rotary **** for everything which I still think is somewhat cumbersome.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I never did a "proper" set up or the voice training and it works very well for me. I use it mostly for voice dialing, but the few times i have used it for inputing addresses in to the nav, it has worked just fine.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It drives me absolutely insane. Often times, I use my Android phone and its built in GPS because the MMI works with some street names and not others.

Sometimes I will enter basic commands like I need gas and it will come back with things completely different. And, I went through the whole setup process.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't goen thru all the commands as it is brand new and the wife's car.... but just tried some of the 'cute' commands like:
I need money
I am hungry
and it seems to work....

Someone sent me a 2 page synopsis of all the commands that helped...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried "I need money" earlier today and it returned with some annoying message "many functions of the mmi..." I canceled out of it. This has happened multiple times before. It has worked in the past though.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I have the windows up so there is no wind noise, I am talking slow, I have no accent....

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fredlikes
It drives me absolutely insane. Often times, I use my Android phone and its built in GPS because the MMI works with some street names and not others.

Sometimes I will enter basic commands like I need gas and it will come back with things completely different. And, I went through the whole setup process.
Hmmm,

Sadly, from other posts on this forum your story seems to be more common than not. Between all the squeaking, creaking, oil eating, MMI,cell phone pairing, cramped speedo, bad tilting side mirrors, brake dust, noisy sun roof, noisy roof rack, too thin sun roof shade, no remote close on rear hatch, etc., etc., etc.

I'm having serious thoughts about canceling my 2012 order. Kind of ridiculous considering it'll be an almost $50k purchase for me.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Hmmm,

Sadly, from other posts on this forum your story seems to be more common than not. Between all the squeaking, creaking, oil eating, MMI,cell phone pairing, cramped speedo, bad tilting side mirrors, brake dust, noisy sun roof, noisy roof rack, too thin sun roof shade, no remote close on rear hatch, etc., etc., etc.

I'm having serious thoughts about canceling my 2012 order. Kind of ridiculous considering it'll be an almost $50k purchase for me.
Well, I can't resist responding.

I may have only 1,200 miles on mine, but I have experienced no squeaks, creaks, Bluetooth pairing issues, undue roof noise, or issues with the side mirrors. I can read the speedo. A manually adjusting steering wheel & the MMI I have quickly gotten used to...like every computer I have ever used it took me a bit of time. A little bit. I experience no heartache from not being able to close the hatch remotely while knowing if I did I could solve it with a VAG-COM fix. Brake dust would not make me choose a different vehicle...or any other kind of dust. I have somehow avoided crashing my head into any part of the car. I haven't dealt with the pano shade through summer heat yet, so my jury is out on that one. Big complaint? I can't get a 3.0T in it.

I am not trying to minimize your complaints, really, but I have never enjoyed a new vehicle as much as this one. Had to say so.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had the car for 7 months and have not experienced any of these issues. Not being able to close the trunk remotely is annoying, though my only complaint is the voice commands on the mmi.

Originally Posted by cprg2011

I may have only 1,200 miles on mine, but I have experienced no squeaks, creaks, Bluetooth pairing issues, undue roof noise, or issues with the side mirrors. I can read the speedo. A manually adjusting steering wheel & the MMI I have quickly gotten used to...like every computer I have ever used it took me a bit of time. A little bit. I experience no heartache from not being able to close the hatch remotely while knowing if I did I could solve it with a VAG-COM fix. Brake dust would not make me choose a different vehicle...or any other kind of dust. I have somehow avoided crashing my head into any part of the car. I haven't dealt with the pano shade through summer heat yet, so my jury is out on that one. Big complaint? I can't get a 3.0T in it.

I am not trying to minimize your complaints, really, but I have never enjoyed a new vehicle as much as this one. Had to say so.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cprg2011

Crpg,

I don't think you are minimizing my concerns at all, it's good to hear positive's about the Q5 as well, thanks for your insight. After all, I have one on order and would love to keep it that way!

It's just that I'm coming from a very reliable, comfortable, zero issue vehicle in a Nissan Rogue. The radio is easy to navigate, the seat warmers do not automatically turn on the climate control, I do not get a headlight warning bell when the car is running when I open the door, I get zero brake dust, it goes through almost no oil, when I do an oil change she's barely lost a drop. The voice command is nearly flawless, wiper blade replacements are very reasonable, it comes with "advanced key" and I can actually lock the hatch with the keys still in my pocket (what a concept, there is a locking button right on the hatch exterior unlike the Q5). All this and more in a car that cost me $25k back in '08 when I bought it, fully loaded, leather, premium Bose sound, which BTW, is louder and better sounding than the B&O, I think I'm qualified to say so as I am a 23 year professional audio engineer.

Now of course a Nissan Rogue is not an Audi and that's one of the reasons I wanted to "move up" to the Q5. I wanted more power, better handling and a nicer interior. All things I'll certainly get in an Audi but it is REALLY annoying that the Audi has so many quirks posted so thoroughly on this forum and I'm paying about a $25k premium over the Rogue for the pleasure! I desperately want the Q5 to work out but I'm getting a little freaked out here, I feel like I'm paying for the Audi badge and will have nothing but condescending Audi service personnel abuse in my future, again, as lamented here by many members here on this forum. Am I really that off base or is this forum that skewed and the Q5 has no more quirks than the next luxury SUV?

It's interesting to note that the Q5 "gripes" threads here are much more active and longer than the Q5 "loves" threads. Again, please feel free to set me straight, as I'd really rather not cancel my order that is due on July 11th.

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went through much of the same dillema when I bought my 11 2.0. I was coming from an Acura that was way reliable, and had a great voice commands for the year it was 06.

I took the plunge and got the 2.0T, I love the interior, I am a big tech person and do not like the interface, or voice commands of the mmi, though I end up using a small fraction of what it is capable of doing. My biggest complaints of the car as follows:
- voice command accuracy
- not being able to close trunk from fob
- manually entering addresses on the nav is tedious. my acura was touch screen is waaay easier
- the mmi does not do some of the things that some of the things that other nav systems today are doing. overall, when it works, it is fine, though i still can not figure out why i can give it the same command and sometimes it works and other times it will not.

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Crpg,

I don't think you are minimizing my concerns at all, it's good to hear positive's about the Q5 as well, thanks for your insight. After all, I have one on order and would love to keep it that way!

It's just that I'm coming from a very reliable, comfortable, zero issue vehicle in a Nissan Rogue. The radio is easy to navigate, the seat warmers do not automatically turn on the climate control, I do not get a headlight warning bell when the car is running when I open the door, I get zero brake dust, it goes through almost no oil, when I do an oil change she's barely lost a drop. The voice command is nearly flawless, wiper blade replacements are very reasonable, it comes with "advanced key" and I can actually lock the hatch with the keys still in my pocket (what a concept, there is a locking button right on the hatch exterior unlike the Q5). All this and more in a car that cost me $25k back in '08 when I bought it, fully loaded, leather, premium Bose sound, which BTW, is louder and better sounding than the B&O, I think I'm qualified to say so as I am a 23 year professional audio engineer.

Now of course a Nissan Rogue is not an Audi and that's one of the reasons I wanted to "move up" to the Q5. I wanted more power, better handling and a nicer interior. All things I'll certainly get in an Audi but it is REALLY annoying that the Audi has so many quirks posted so thoroughly on this forum and I'm paying about a $25k premium over the Rogue for the pleasure! I desperately want the Q5 to work out but I'm getting a little freaked out here, I feel like I'm paying for the Audi badge and will have nothing but condescending Audi service personnel abuse in my future, again, as lamented here by many members here on this forum. Am I really that off base or is this forum that skewed and the Q5 has no more quirks than the next luxury SUV?

It's interesting to note that the Q5 "gripes" threads here are much more active and longer than the Q5 "loves" threads. Again, please feel free to set me straight, as I'd really rather not cancel my order that is due on July 11th.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: MMI Voice Command Accuracy?