Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI Voice Command Accuracy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fredlikes
I went through much of the same dillema when I bought my 11 2.0. I was coming from an Acura that was way reliable, and had a great voice commands for the year it was 06.

I took the plunge and got the 2.0T, I love the interior, I am a big tech person and do not like the interface, or voice commands of the mmi, though I end up using a small fraction of what it is capable of doing. My biggest complaints of the car as follows:
- voice command accuracy
- not being able to close trunk from fob
- manually entering addresses on the nav is tedious. my acura was touch screen is waaay easier
- the mmi does not do some of the things that some of the things that other nav systems today are doing. overall, when it works, it is fine, though i still can not figure out why i can give it the same command and sometimes it works and other times it will not.
Thanks Fred,

My big question to you then would be: Given everything you now know about the Q5, would you do it again?
Old 05-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Thanks Fred,

My big question to you then would be: Given everything you now know about the Q5, would you do it again?
Well, I spent a lot of time looking at Ford Edge, Cadillac SRX(I think), various GM, the new BMX X3, the Acura, Volvo, Mercedes, and I liked the interior of the Q5 and the styling the best. The Edge does waaaaay more tech wise and so does the new X3, however, at the end of the day, I wanted to like the way it looked and be comfortable in it so I got the Q5.

With all that said, if I had to do it again I would just get an A4. I wanted it originally, though my fiance wanted the Q5, though I just do not think there is that much room in the back for me so I would go back and get the A4, which has the same mmi, seats, etc.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fredlikes
Well, I spent a lot of time looking at Ford Edge, Cadillac SRX(I think), various GM, the new BMX X3, the Acura, Volvo, Mercedes, and I liked the interior of the Q5 and the styling the best. The Edge does waaaaay more tech wise and so does the new X3, however, at the end of the day, I wanted to like the way it looked and be comfortable in it so I got the Q5.

With all that said, if I had to do it again I would just get an A4. I wanted it originally, though my fiance wanted the Q5, though I just do not think there is that much room in the back for me so I would go back and get the A4, which has the same mmi, seats, etc.
Fred,

That is EXACTLY the vehicles my wife and I looked at and EXACTLY the reason we ordered the Q5, it was basically down to the interior at the end of the day and comfort.

The only other serious contender, again due to interior fit and finish and comfort was the Lincoln MKX. The only thing really preventing me from dumping the Q5 in favor of the MKX is gas mileage, and even that is negotiable to me at this point as I drive just under 10k miles a year. The tech in the MKX is supposed to be amazing and it's a touch screen too, not digging the rotary **** enrty system on the Q5.

Thanks Fred.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Fred,

That is EXACTLY the vehicles my wife and I looked at and EXACTLY the reason we ordered the Q5, it was basically down to the interior at the end of the day and comfort.

The only other serious contender, again due to interior fit and finish and comfort was the Lincoln MKX. The only thing really preventing me from dumping the Q5 in favor of the MKX is gas mileage, and even that is negotiable to me at this point as I drive just under 10k miles a year. The tech in the MKX is supposed to be amazing and it's a touch screen too, not digging the rotary **** enrty system on the Q5.

Thanks Fred.
I also looked at the MKX. You know it is the Ford Edge with a slightly different look and better interior. The technology is exactly the same. I did not like the look of the front grille on the MKX that is why I didn't consider it. Again, I am a big tech person and really want people's pictures to show up when they call me, text messages to be read to me, and all the other great things the Edge/MKX system does, though it also seemed like it did too much and might even be a bit overly complicated as a result. Though I did not spend enough time with it.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cprg2011
... but I have never enjoyed a new vehicle as much as this one. Had to say so.
+1. There is so much to like about the car: great handling, fit and finish, quality of interior materials, overall design and appearance, to name just a few. Yes, there are things that could be done better, but overall, I'd say the good outweighs the bad by a sizeable margin, at least for me. On most Internet forums, the nature of the beast is that issues get to be posted and talked about more than non-issues.

To the OP, the voice recognition is indeed a bit of hit and miss sometimes. I've found that speaking in a normal volume and cadence is better than speaking too loudly or slowly.

Last edited by gat821; 05-29-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821

To the OP, the voice recognition is indeed a bit of hit and miss sometimes. I've found that speaking in a normal volume and cadence is better than speaking too loudly or slowly.
There have been many comments on the sketchiness of the voice recog. I must say that I have had not a single mis-read, and I have not gone through any extensive training regimen as per the manual. Presumably the software is identical in every vehicle, so what's the deal? Is it being fooled by particular accents? I know from using previous hands-free devices that I had to over-annunciate to make them read properly and have had to retrain myself with the Q5 to speak normally again.