Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Monsoon grey, Canadian color.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon grey, Canadian color.

Hi. Have to decide quick, have it narrowed down to Lava, or Monsoon Grey.
Only problem, I havent seen either in real life, just online and Audi website, and dont think I have actually seen "Monsoon" at all.
One option is to drive the 120 miles to dealership in a few weeks when they get a Lava in stock. I would have to wait another month to place my order though, which really, isnt the end of the world. Or I could go all in and order a color without seeing it, but that kinda has me freaked.
Any Monsoon Grey owners out there that love their color, or wish they would have gone Lava?
Thanks again everyone.
Getting excited !!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chrispmoto
Hi. Have to decide quick, have it narrowed down to Lava, or Monsoon Grey.
Only problem, I havent seen either in real life, just online and Audi website, and dont think I have actually seen "Monsoon" at all.
One option is to drive the 120 miles to dealership in a few weeks when they get a Lava in stock. I would have to wait another month to place my order though, which really, isnt the end of the world. Or I could go all in and order a color without seeing it, but that kinda has me freaked.
Any Monsoon Grey owners out there that love their color, or wish they would have gone Lava?
Thanks again everyone.
Getting excited !!
I have Lava, and I have seen Monsoon. Lava is a great colour (my Q5 and previous A3 were both Lava) and was used in many of the Audi promo photos of the Q5 for a reason. You can't go wrong with Lava if you want a darker vehicle. However, the Monsoon is also really slick and is probably what I would have gone with if it had been available for my 2011MY. Couple that with the black-out package (not sure if that is available in CA for 2012), and that would be my first choice.

Decide whether you are leaning darker or a bit lighter. You can't lose—they are both really nice.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to choose between Lava Grey and Monsoon Grey, I'd pick Lava Grey. Lava isn't offered in the US, but I liked the color so much I almost opted to pay $2500 to paint my Q that color. In the end, I was just as enamored with Daytona Grey, so I opted for that, as it's available in the US and didn't cost me $2500 to choose it.

For me, Monsoon Grey was too light, and washed out in the sun. Anywhere other than full-sun, it's a stunning color, but IN the sunlight, it didn't impress me. Lava Grey sparkles like no tomorrow in the sun. The metal flecks in it seem huge, and then there are the red, brown, and grey tones, it's beautiful.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Chrispmoto, here are a few shots of my Monsoon grey sline 2012. Lava is also great. You can't go wrong with either.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jacou21
Hi Chrispmoto, here are a few shots of my Monsoon grey sline 2012. Lava is also great. You can't go wrong with either.

WOW. Thanks. That is SICK !!! Love it, and I think my wife will too.
I was diggin the pearl effect, but I thinks its gonna be too dark.
Your car is pretty much what we want, S LIne !!
Jacou, are you happy with your decision to go Monsoon?
Now I need to see a Lava in this thread to compare back to back.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you search here for "lava grey Q5" you will find some pics from GenSpec. Winter wheels, but you get the idea.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chrispmoto
WOW. Thanks. That is SICK !!! Love it, and I think my wife will too.
I was diggin the pearl effect, but I thinks its gonna be too dark.
Your car is pretty much what we want, S LIne !!
Jacou, are you happy with your decision to go Monsoon?
Now I need to see a Lava in this thread to compare back to back.
I am quite happy with the Monsoon. I originally wanted the Quartz Grey but wasn't available for 2012. Ordered Monsoon without having seen it - i don't regret. I ordered Cinnamon interior and i think both colours go well together. The only thing i regret is not having ordered the Navigation package. I have an iPhone with Navigon but nothing like having it built-in the car.

This being said, my colleague at work has lava grey and he thinks his colour is better In the end this is really a personal choice. Good luck with yours.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just picked up my monsoon gray (is it grey up there) last night. Next time I'm on the computer I'll try to get some pictures up.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys! Still really leaning towards the Lava though for some reason. The dealer said there are less Lava around my part of the woods, and none, actually, not even any Q5's in the town I live in !!