Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

More Oomph for the 2.,0T

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still don't have any info on pricing, but I did look for a local dealer and Revo's US headquarters is about 10 miles from my house!!

Question, how does this affect your Audi warranty?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do realize that I'm not associated with this company, just a happy consumer so far!
so here's the link where I found the pricing:
https://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...ight=revo+sale
$399 for four tunes stock - 91, 93, 100 octane
or $499 for the same four tunes and the 'switcher' thru 12-31-11
and for my dealer, it was one hour install time...

Since the norm around here is 93 octane,
that's what I will probably end up running...

the wife took it to work for the first time today...
let's get a report back from her to see if she ran into anyone's rear bumper with the new found responsiveness

re warranty:
as with ANY modification that is not the manufacturer's modification,
if the mod creates an issue, the mfg cannot be held responsible...
so the saying "if you want to play, you have to pay" comes to mind...

However, I can say I've had 4 different vehicles tuned for over a decade and 100's of thousands of miles without incident... and searching the forums you will find many people that have tuned their audi's.

but please get some miles under your belt before doing anything to ensure there are no underlying problems before you change anything.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am also seriously considering some mods for my 2011 Q5 S-Line, specifically the 2.0T APR tune and a resonator delete. The resonator delete I have been told will be fine, as long as it's behind the cats it won't throw codes and it should create more of a growl, has anyone done this?

As far as the APR tune, my only major concern is that I have had some issues with the TCM, they had to reflash it IIRC because water had shorted something and that was causing that shudder that people complain about when rolling to a stop. I don't want to install the tune, then have audi tell me GFY because I voided my warranty. I like the program selector, because I would not want to run the engine hard ALL the time, just times when I want a bit more boost. If I do it through Pfaff Tuning, maybe they will be better about warranty. Going to pull the trigger within a week assuming I don't get cold feet. If I get it, I'll take my 2012 out beside it, drag them, and post a video.

So my questions...

Will I pay $500+ for a minimal tune then be spending $5000 on parts when I void my warranty?

Is a resonator delete a better way to go than to get a custom resonator?

Do I need to change the exhaust tips for a better sound?

Since it has program select, will I be able to use it sparingly since I run 50mi a day?

Will I be able to smoke a stock B8 A4? (They feel fast as hell when you get behind the wheel after the q5)
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so it seems that none of these will allow the owner to return the ecu back to stock before taking it in to the dealer for service and them not being able to detect you were running a tune. My issue is my dealer gives all their customets a 100k mile powertrain warranty and I don't want to do anything to void that.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

not sure who told you that...
but returning to stock was a prerequisite for any tune I got just as it has been for the other cars/tuners .

and I will be able to do that.

and to the need to switch tunes.... once I settled on a tune for my other cars - it typically stayed there for months at a time as the high hp tunes actually give me better mpg because they run so effeciently (as long as I drive sanely )

birdman - if you are having tcm problems, I would not add a tune.
and a 20% improvement is not minimal to me

any changes to your exhaust will not give you anymore than MAYBE a few hp, so if you call a tune minimal, not sure what we call an exhaust change change that if you want to change the sound..

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 12-29-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
not sure who told you that...
but returning to stock was a prerequisite for any tune I got just as it has been for the other cars/tuners .

and I will be able to do that.
OK, I guess I assumed that because you took it to a dealer to have it installed. I used a Superchips tuner years ago on a truck where I just purchased and installed it myself.

Will be interested to see how your mpg are affected.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No prob !

I will get some baselines soon so I can tell the difference other than the seat of the pants I've gotten so far....

fyi:
this was the deciding factor on my selection of tuners this im from revo:

Yes, $499 and the FREE SPS is actually the deepest discount we offer. We are already less expensive that the competition year round, and the Winter Sale is just some extra icing on the cake.

You get all 4 tunes, and the ability to control the switching in the palm of your hand. (If you're interested in the switching)

Here's a video of how the switching works for APR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5oN-p5eKd8

Here's a video of how our switching works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKScO1PQdv0

(These videos are for the B8 S4, but the procedure is the same for any year make and model VW or Audi.)

If you have a local shop nearby and are not that interested in switching yourself, or if you have a friend who has an SPS, or if maybe you just want to buy one down the road some time, you can still take the software with all 4 tunes for $399.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

JBT,

That is sweet and simple. I've tuned and boosted all of my turbo's with no ill effects since 1984. . I am very interested in how your Revo tune works out in the real world. Please keep reporting back in future. No biggie if I miss sale. I've got to get a few more miles on my Q and let you be the test mule.

John
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

When you guys "tune" your cars, do you drive in this "tuned" mode all the time or switchback and forth? What are the reason for switching back to stock mode, for driving I mean?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I typically stay in tuned mode for a couple of reasons...
once you find something that fits you and your vehicle,
you tend to stay with it,
and once you get used to the new power, driving stock is like half your engine is gone

I did reset the trip computer to see how the average mpg was affected and it did what I thought it would...
Even with us running around town and using the new torque a LOT, it still came out to 23.7 on the display around town...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=234605

so once we settle in and stop RACING around, mpg will probably go up...

on another note:
met up with wrestrepo to do some vagcom changes on his S4 and that is one nice, quick car !

Quick Reply: More Oomph for the 2.,0T