Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

More Oomph for the 2.,0T

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have a Revo dealer near me, and I asked him how the tune would affect the warranty. He said that if anything happens, it will only affect the warranty on the computer. He also said that they hardly ever look into the code since it's buried so deep.

Can anyone verify this? I'm so tempted to get this mod!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by burdoogo
I actually have a Revo dealer near me, and I asked him how the tune would affect the warranty. He said that if anything happens, it will only affect the warranty on the computer. He also said that they hardly ever look into the code since it's buried so deep.

Can anyone verify this? I'm so tempted to get this mod!
My dealer kind of confirmed it. He said they can't really tell what sw is running.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I wish that were the extent of it....
but - in the event of an expensive engine failure or turbo failure -
Audi will probably look 'deeply' to figure out why and
especially so if there are decals and stickers saying you boosted it

so true, it doesn't affect your warranty...
unless the dealer and/or Audi decide it does

And no matter what your dealer says, if Audi decides not to repair your car, the dealer probably won't either .

So while tuning is generally considered safe if done by someone who knows what they are doing, it's still up to you to weigh the risks.

Heck, I've seen people ruin a stock engine with poor maintenance and bad driving !
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@JohnBoyToo: Do you think the tune is worth it? I feel like the Q5 is sluggish, and I have hard time keeping it at a steady speed because it always wants to go one gear too high. Does the tune eliminate that? Also, is the Q generally more responsive? I feel a bit of a delay when I press on the gas.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I'm very happy with the results from the 45 or so hp and 85 lbft...
(and this comes from someone that tuned his diesel for $400 and got +150hp and +250lbft !)

but it makes drive like a different car - so yes it's worth it to me...
immediate response and loads of low end torque where we spend 90% of our driving.

(but, now that wrestrepo brought his s4 over with it's supercharged v6 and 333 hp - it took SOME of the luster off my tune!)

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-03-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

JBT,

I'm watching this thread closely for updates. I'm up to 740 miles on Q. I need a little more break in time and a little more positive feedback before I pull the trigger. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

what do you think the dealer selling the tune is going to say? it may void your warrantee?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by q5dave
what do you think the dealer selling the tune is going to say? it may void your warrantee?
At least he told me that it would void the coverage for the computer.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ya, if something really went wrong could you change it back to stock? it is software right?
That being said i'm in this vehicle for the long haul. drive 35k year. part of me would like to drive a Q5 with the mod. If its like you say I'm sure its fun. If it is just software to change the timing/boost on the turbo thats a hugh increase. SO then you have to wonder why the factory doesn't do it.
Logical answer , I would think, would be because it decreases reliability/longevity?
Mine is a daily diver, don't know
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by q5dave
ya, if something really went wrong could you change it back to stock? it is software right?
That being said i'm in this vehicle for the long haul. drive 35k year. part of me would like to drive a Q5 with the mod. If its like you say I'm sure its fun. If it is just software to change the timing/boost on the turbo thats a hugh increase. SO then you have to wonder why the factory doesn't do it.
Logical answer , I would think, would be because it decreases reliability/longevity?
Mine is a daily diver, don't know
Part of it is emissions, part of it is because Audi doesn't want to make the 2.0T too close to the 3.2. But I'm not saying it won't affect longevity as more power equals more heat.

Quick Reply: More Oomph for the 2.,0T