Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Mounting Thule bike rack to Audi cross bars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Thule bike rack to Audi cross bars?

Anyone have info/advice on mounting Thule bike racks to the Audi crossbars? I have existing Thule carriers. Saw a Q5 in a parking lot with the Thule carriers attached, but didn't really take the time to determine how they were connected.

Thanks in advance - Ray
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a specific model of Thule carrier you're looking at on the roof Ray? I have 2 Yakima fork mount racks on the roof of my Q5.

-tgt
Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgt
Is there a specific model of Thule carrier you're looking at on the roof Ray? I have 2 Yakima fork mount racks on the roof of my Q5.

-tgt
Yes...

But I don't know which it is, since I already own it.

:-D
Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RJP3
Anyone have info/advice on mounting Thule bike racks to the Audi crossbars? I have existing Thule carriers. Saw a Q5 in a parking lot with the Thule carriers attached, but didn't really take the time to determine how they were connected.

Thanks in advance - Ray
I was talking to the rack guy when my GF bought a Thule rack for her A3. He said that Thule acually made the cross bars for Audi and that all stuff should be cross compatible, at least with the Thule aero bar.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, one more thing, even if you do get the rack mounted, how are you planning on getting the bikes up there? I'm 5'8" and would need a lot more inches to put a bike up there, especially if it's a rack where both wheels stay on.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The Thule bike racks comes with both a bolt to slide into the T-profile and a bracket for crossbars without a T-profile. use the T-bar bolt, remove the rubber list and slide the bike racks in from each side.

6'4" here - I make it ;-)

Last edited by Roil; 07-30-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RJP3

Thanks in advance - Ray
THULE has different styles of roof bars and a constantly evolving product line, so the answer will be specific to the rack you own. Try to identify it, or post pictures. From a mounting perspective, Q5 roof bars are compatible with THULE Aero bars. Your rack may be plug and play, or it might require a simple adapter kit like the xadapt1. Keep in mind, if you use the Audi roof bars, the car will sense it and modify ESP settings. I also recommend a fairing to help minimize wind noise.

I'm a huge fan of THULEs hitch racks, and have one on my GTI and the wife's Q5. The only downside is it sets off the parking sensors, which is pretty anoying.

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Willowdog
even if you do get the rack mounted, how are you planning on getting the bikes up there? I'm 5'8" and would need a lot more inches to put a bike up there, especially if it's a rack where both wheels stay on.
6'2" here - no problem at all.

:-)

Looks like my Thule rack (Echelon) didn't come with the proper set screws/adapters for aero bars, so will need to pick some up somewhere along the way.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think if I was 6-8 inches taller it would help but I do suppose you get extra arm length as part of the extended height package. Maybe that combination makes it work.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari XL
THULE has different styles of roof bars and a constantly evolving product line, so the answer will be specific to the rack you own. Try to identify it, or post pictures. From a mounting perspective, Q5 roof bars are compatible with THULE Aero bars. Your rack may be plug and play, or it might require a simple adapter kit like the xadapt1. Keep in mind, if you use the Audi roof bars, the car will sense it and modify ESP settings. I also recommend a fairing to help minimize wind noise.

I'm a huge fan of THULEs hitch racks, and have one on my GTI and the wife's Q5. The only downside is it sets off the parking sensors, which is pretty anoying.

Let us know how it turns out!
Dredging up this thread hoping some folk with expertise can help me out.

I have older Thule bike carriers (Criterium 598) that work on the Thule square bars but not the Audi Q5 (2015) factory load bars. Looks like the Xadapt8 is the part for my carrier.

I'm confident the answer is that this Xadapt will work with the Audi bars, but can anyone confirm? (Or confirm they all do?)

Quick Reply: Mounting Thule bike rack to Audi cross bars?