Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My 2014 Q5 P+ Arrived Today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdntea
Congrats!

Can you upload a pic of the rear showing the tow hitch? Was it installed at the factory or port?

Love that Ice Silver color. Do you find that is looks darker toward the end of the day/dusk? Just ordered a 2014 Cuvee Silver P+ and we were torn between the two colors.

Thanks!

Jeff
Jeff,
What colors did you get on interior? I'm thinking Cuvee with Brown interior with the layered oak trim.
Dennis
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bob reported 20/28 on his the other day below in "Just picked up my 2014 Q5" thread

Originally Posted by stash64
Did you by chance pick up the MPG on the window sticker ?
Bob reported 20/28 on his the other day below in "Just picked up my 2014 Q5" thread. Looks like his thread beat this one by a few hours for "first" honors
Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Jeff,
What colors did you get on interior? I'm thinking Cuvee with Brown interior with the layered oak trim.
Dennis
make absolutely sure you see the layered oak trim in person before you order it. i was pretty set on getting it until my sales advisor told me to take a look first. i don't find it nearly as good looking in person.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can you upload a pic of the rear showing the tow hitch? Was it installed at the factory or port?
Hitches are all port-installed.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Jeff,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

We got ebony and the standard dark brown walnut. I found a video on youtube with the cuvee silver and oak inlays (around 3:30). It looks better with the ivory interior but the sales guy pointed out that jeans could stain the leather. The chestnut brown looks good with the black or ibis white exterior. Since the cuvee has a gold shimmer in certain light, the brown blends in too much in my opinion. Sort of like getting monsoon grey and the grey interior or wearing an all denim outfit.

this is the one we test drove-not sure if pics uploaded:
Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Everyone!

Busy day yesterday with the car (!) sorry I couldn't answer everyone's questions, but I'll do my best right now... and some random thoughts....

WOW! It's great. Super happy with everything. :-) PICTURES COMING LATER TODAY!

The 2.0 is enough for me, most of my driving is around town, and I'll very rarely tow anything heavy. It is much more powerful than my 2.2L Subaru (non-turbo). Very fast off the line.

@Bob Petruska... the mirrors seem fine to me, though they are big. My Subaru mirrors are somewhere between my wife's A6 and the Q5, so I am used to larger. You are correct that sitting lower blocks more view... so you might try raising the entire seat (i.e. raising the rear portion of the cushion all the way up). You can gain 1" - 2" of height that way, as long as long as you head doesn't hit the roof! ALSO - I'm embarrassed to say that I am 40+ and **JUST** learned to set my mirrors correctly about 6 weeks ago!! If you can see ANY portion of the car in your side view mirrors, you are doing it wrong. See this link... or several others on YouTube re: "Properly Adjust Mirrors". It too me two weeks to adjust. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tDI4ThwdXg

I REALLY like the "Natural Ash" wood, you can see and feel the wood grain.

I'm happy with the color. I know, silver is boring and very popular, I know that it will be easy to maintain, and this paint job really has "depth" in real life... almost liquid looking. It seems classic and classy to me. Maybe it is the most common color because it is the best color? :-)

@Stash64... The mileage is 23 mixed, 20 city, 28 highway. I was able to get a solid 24mpg driving home last night about 20 minutes in hot, stop-and-go traffic, with a VERY light foot (coasting up to red lights, etc.). I'll post a picture of the window sticker.

@Bob Petruska... re: Heat. It was HOT here yesterday (109 in the street at 2pm). I think that car windows in general make good "greenhouses" and that the exterior paint doesn't make that much difference. An article I just read says that dark cars get hotter faster, but all cars end up at about the same temp. That said, I intend to get the sunroof tinted with a clear UV/IR rejecting film.

@Jdntea... I'll post some pictures of the hitch. Yes, it was factory installed. IMPORTANT NOTE... The port did include the remaining "panel" that was cut away from the bumper, and it looks like it is now removable!! More pictures later, but I have access to a machine shop, and may be able to cut a little square hole in the panel and put it back into place with just the receiver sticking through for mounting a bike rack. It even has built in 1/4-turn thumb screws!

@Jdntea... I love the Ice, it seems "cooler" (slightly blue-ish) in the evening. The Cuvee is also nice, it looks "warmer" (slightly champagne-ish) in the evening. You'll be happy.

@DennisMitchell... Ice Silver exterior and Black interior. I've found that the black stays much cleaner over the years, and I have filthy teenage boys! Still haven't decided if I'll let them in the car! The silver/black is also pretty "classy" and simple, but some people find it kinda boring. Still, I sat in many interiors before I chose it. And choose it I did!

There was some kerfuffle with the Audi Supplier Program yesterday... we qualify because my wife works for a qualifying company... however, the certificate that Audi generates and emails to you is ONLY GOOD FOR 2013's! Yikes, the sales manager had to have a face-to-face meeting with the Regional Sales Manager to get him to agree that Audi would honor the discount. Warning if you are using "Supplier Program". This all might change because the program ends on July 8, and last year they took several weeks to "restart" the program... maybe August 1. So, if you have a 2014 coming in anytime soon and plan to use Supplier, straighten it out with the sales guys first!

The dealer experience was "meh". At least they didn't try anything shady. My original salesperson quit and I was shuffled between another two guys, but it turned out OK.

My dealer does clear bra on-site, and they also arranged a front "matching" tint on the driver's and passenger's window.

In all, I've only had about 20 minutes in the car, and have TONS of work to do today, so I'll try to get some good pics this evening.

:-)
Attached Images    

Last edited by Cobalt Rain; 06-28-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Dennis,

We got ebony and the standard dark brown walnut. I found a video on youtube with the cuvee silver and oak inlays (around 3:30). It looks better with the ivory interior but the sales guy pointed out that jeans could stain the leather. The chestnut brown looks good with the black or ibis white exterior. Since the cuvee has a gold shimmer in certain light, the brown blends in too much in my opinion. Sort of like getting monsoon grey and the grey interior or wearing an all denim outfit.

Audi Q5 Präsentation - YouTube

this is the one we test drove-not sure if pics uploaded:
Thanks for comments and video. My current Q5 is Oyster Quartz (dark gray) with light gray interior. My A4 is ice silver with gray interior. Before the Audi's had a G35x with tan and a RX400h with tan.

Ready for Cuvée with chestnut brown. I have never been a black interior person, and every car photo I see with brown seats with black interior just excite me at this point. I will look for some samples before ordering. Layered oak is a wild card. To each their own...

Really liked that rear cargo system in the video. Instead of 4 cargo hooks, there are two tracks with these adjustable hold downs. Is this the cargo net option in the MY2014 US order guide? Or is this something only available in Europe?

Dennis
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That port installed tow hitch looks better than I thought it might. Very well done. You have a nice car......enjoy, and thanks for the pictures.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default I'm glad that you got the car.....!!!

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain
Hi Everyone!

Busy day yesterday with the car (!) sorry I couldn't answer everyone's questions, but I'll do my best right now... and some random thoughts....

WOW! It's great. Super happy with everything. :-) PICTURES COMING LATER TODAY!

The 2.0 is enough for me, most of my driving is around town, and I'll very rarely tow anything heavy. It is much more powerful than my 2.2L Subaru (non-turbo). Very fast off the line.

@Bob Petruska... the mirrors seem fine to me, though they are big. My Subaru mirrors are somewhere between my wife's A6 and the Q5, so I am used to larger. You are correct that sitting lower blocks more view... so you might try raising the entire seat (i.e. raising the rear portion of the cushion all the way up). You can gain 1" - 2" of height that way, as long as long as you head doesn't hit the roof! ALSO - I'm embarrassed to say that I am 40+ and **JUST** learned to set my mirrors correctly about 6 weeks ago!! If you can see ANY portion of the car in your side view mirrors, you are doing it wrong. See this link... or several others on YouTube re: "Properly Adjust Mirrors". It too me two weeks to adjust. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tDI4ThwdXg

I REALLY like the "Natural Ash" wood, you can see and feel the wood grain.

I'm happy with the color. I know, silver is boring and very popular, I know that it will be easy to maintain, and this paint job really has "depth" in real life... almost liquid looking. It seems classic and classy to me. Maybe it is the most common color because it is the best color? :-)

@Stash64... The mileage is 23 mixed, 20 city, 28 highway. I was able to get a solid 24mpg driving home last night about 20 minutes in hot, stop-and-go traffic, with a VERY light foot (coasting up to red lights, etc.). I'll post a picture of the window sticker.

@Bob Petruska... re: Heat. It was HOT here yesterday (109 in the street at 2pm). I think that car windows in general make good "greenhouses" and that the exterior paint doesn't make that much difference. An article I just read says that dark cars get hotter faster, but all cars end up at about the same temp. That said, I intend to get the sunroof tinted with a clear UV/IR rejecting film.

@Jdntea... I'll post some pictures of the hitch. Yes, it was factory installed. IMPORTANT NOTE... The port did include the remaining "panel" that was cut away from the bumper, and it looks like it is now removable!! More pictures later, but I have access to a machine shop, and may be able to cut a little square hole in the panel and put it back into place with just the receiver sticking through for mounting a bike rack. It even has built in 1/4-turn thumb screws!

@Jdntea... I love the Ice, it seems "cooler" (slightly blue-ish) in the evening. The Cuvee is also nice, it looks "warmer" (slightly champagne-ish) in the evening. You'll be happy.

@DennisMitchell... Ice Silver exterior and Black interior. I've found that the black stays much cleaner over the years, and I have filthy teenage boys! Still haven't decided if I'll let them in the car! The silver/black is also pretty "classy" and simple, but some people find it kinda boring. Still, I sat in many interiors before I chose it. And choose it I did!

There was some kerfuffle with the Audi Supplier Program yesterday... we qualify because my wife works for a qualifying company... however, the certificate that Audi generates and emails to you is ONLY GOOD FOR 2013's! Yikes, the sales manager had to have a face-to-face meeting with the Regional Sales Manager to get him to agree that Audi would honor the discount. Warning if you are using "Supplier Program". This all might change because the program ends on July 8, and last year they took several weeks to "restart" the program... maybe August 1. So, if you have a 2014 coming in anytime soon and plan to use Supplier, straighten it out with the sales guys first!

The dealer experience was "meh". At least they didn't try anything shady. My original salesperson quit and I was shuffled between another two guys, but it turned out OK.

My dealer does clear bra on-site, and they also arranged a front "matching" tint on the driver's and passenger's window.

In all, I've only had about 20 minutes in the car, and have TONS of work to do today, so I'll try to get some good pics this evening.

:-)
I'm starting to get used to looking over and around the mirrors to the point where it wil be automatic, yes, I alwasy have had my mirrors adjusted to where I would need to lean right or left a little to see the car behind me, kept the rear cars' headlights out of my eyes.

I'm acutally very impressed with my A/C in a black on black car (last 5 cars were black on black), my last 2 A4's had a hard time keeping you comfortable, I actually freeze in the Q5 when set a 68 F and it's 90 out.

I found the frequent up/down sifting of the 8 speed trans a little annoying, remember I come off a manual trans car. I now drive exclusively in Sport mode and happy. So if you need some better driving feel try that. The car has a lot of bounce on the PA roads, but my last A4 was that way olso until the springs, bushings, tires, etc. all broke in and I expect the same with the Q5.

What brand tires did you get, I got the Continentals?

The Bi-Xenons' light up the road quite well, I had Euro-spec lights on my A4 and expected the Q5 not to live up to that output but it does.

Now if I can just get used to putting that E-parking brake on..........
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great update and thanks for the hitch pics! Looks pretty sweet. Enjoy your ride. I get supplier pricing too thru work and even though it ends on July 8, plus it. only valid on 2013 models, I was able to get the dealer to honor the 6% off msrp on the 2014 cuvee if the program isnt renewed by the time the car is delivered sometime in September.

There's definitely a gold shimmer during golden hours with the cuvee. My wife is obsessed with comparing the two colors and wonderin if we made the right choice. Id upload some pics but this forum doesnt play nice on my phone. Anxiously waiting for new pics-maybe I can switch colors before the production order comes through

I'm going to go with an after market curt hitch for $167 and slap a superbumper on it. Parking in NYC is not fun.

Dennis, I believe the cargo system in the video if for europe only. There is a russian review that had the same cargo setup. Too bad it's not state side because it would make my future costco runs a breeze.

Quick Reply: My 2014 Q5 P+ Arrived Today!