Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My 2014 Q5 P+ Arrived Today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain
More Pics - See the WeatherTech mats
Those WT mats look like they fit great. I had old style ones before they made them so snug. This will be great at least for my rear seats to collect falling objects from my toddler.

I used to keep in my rubber AudiSport mats year round in my S4 when I was up in CT and even after moving to NC. Maybe I'll do that again with these, even though they're not as needed around here (lack of snow and corresponding sand/salt)
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default The dreaded "mirror" induced wheel rash

Hi Everyone -

Some updates with many pictures..

1. Still really happy, no buyer's remorse here.

2. The regular (concert?) sound system is good enough for me, but I don't have much to compare it to. Didn't purchase the upgraded system.

3. The HomeLink garage door opener programming is a huge PITA, and the instruction manual is outright incorrect in a few places. It took me 45 minutes of essentially random button pushing to get it working, and I'm sure I couldn't repeat it. I called Audi 24x7 customer service... they offered to read the manual to me. <sigh> So I said yes, and she put me on hold, and then came back to say that they don't yet HAVE the 2014 manuals.

4. What is the long, skinny "trap door" in the hatch? Maybe it holds the European "traffic warning triangle"?

5. The 2013 WeatherTech mats fit the 2014 quite well.

6. The rear license plate lamp is now LED based, is this true on the 2013?

7. The Premium+ has nice footwell lighting and puddle lamps, but there is no choice to leave that footwell lighting on while driving (like my Wife's 2006 A6). I think there is an Vag-Com code for this.

8. The steering wheel left hand "scroll" wheel still doesn't change radio PRESETS, as far as I can tell.... it just scrolls down available stations. Ugh.

9. I owe a partial apology to Bob Petruska! Those mirrors are BIG, you were correct.... I **almost** curb-rashed my new wheels on a strange concrete walkway in a little parking lot. Yikes! I wouldn't say that I "hate" them, but now I'm *very* careful.

10. I can't get a new iPod to work with the updated "lightning" connector, using the apple supplied 30pin-to-Lightning adapter. I have the "blue" cable, not the red one... I need to do more research and perhaps have the dealer swap my cable.

11. It is pretty fast! At a highway on-ramp I made 70mph and didn't seem to break 2K rpm.

12. Per Bob's question, I did get the Continental CrossContact tires, they seem fine.

13. I did notice a slightly jerky shift or two, but again, I'm coming off a 13 year old Subaru, so it seems silky compared to that! It was mostly in situations where the tranny was deciding what to do, as I was in a hilly area, lots of start/stop, on/off the gas, etc.

14. I got 24.7 mpg (per the computer) on today's drive, staying (mostly) out of the turbo.

:-)
My sister showed up yesterday with here new Honda CRV and the mirrors are one third smaller in height than the Q5, really much better visibility.

Drive in Sport mode (S), shifts are less jerky. I now will never use D mode again.

Out of all the tires that usually come on the Q5 (Pirelli, Michelin, and Conti) the Conti has the best ratings and reviews for smooth ride, handling, noise, and snow performance. I'm super happy I got the Conti's.

Just to echo your comments in another post the 2014 Q5 A/C is down to the super cooling range, in my Black Q5 with the temp in the 90's and high humidity I normally drive all my cars set at 68, with the Q5 I need to set it at 72-74 or I freeze!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Out of all the tires that usually come on the Q5 (Pirelli, Michelin, and Conti) the Conti has the best ratings and reviews for smooth ride, handling, noise, and snow performance. I'm super happy I got the Conti's.
Mine came with Goodyears. Still not ready to offer an opinion.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wednesday Updates

Hi Everyone -

Still enjoying the 2014 Q5 Took a neighbor for a spin last night, the cockpit looks GREAT in the dark. Neighbor has a Porsche 930, but he was still suitably impressed with the Q5.

@jdntea. Yes, I really like the sport seats, and the thigh extension makes a big difference for me (5' 11"). It is fully extended in that photo. As for the paddle shifters, well, they are pretty fun, but I won't use them "daily". Probably once-per-week or so when I need to pull out in front of traffic at a stop light, etc. As far as blue-tooth streaming... do you mean for music? I don't think I have that option, but I did connect the iPhone last night for making calls, etc., via blue-tooth and it worked pretty well. I was able to get the voice commands to "Call Home", but it seems clumsy, especially compared to Siri (which isn't saying much!)

@Q5Bob: Thanks! the wood grain natural ash really makes it for me. (I rub it while I am driving!!) :-)

@Scott Evil and Mark P: OH! I FOUND A SURPRISE!!! You CAN choose "Presets" with the left hand scroll wheel! So... just spinning the wheel shows you all of the automatically populated local stations, but at the "bottom" of that list is the word "Presets". Just click there and the DIS turns into only the Presets. It remembers this "Preset" mode until you manually choose "Auto Populated" (or something). PERFECT! Best of both worlds.

New Quirks: I do seem to have a very slight whistle in the drivers mirror above 60mph, which coincidentally appeared in another thread today. Also, either I am doing something wrong, OR the convenience key is misbehaving with the hatch... sometimes I am "allowed" to open the hatch just with my hand, sometimes I have to use the fob.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Rear Hatch & iPhone...

You mention the rear hatch keyless open function not being consistent. You also separately mention an i Phone in the bluetooth vein.

FWIW, from years now with the keyless/comfort function on my A8, the remote key and i Phones really don't get along well with each other, particularly if they end up in the same pocket or otherwise in close proximity. Other A8'ers on the D3 board have found some of the same. I keep them in opposite pockets, and invariably when I have an issue getting the car to respond (either door lock open by approaching the handle, or push to start), I find the two have ended up together. My sense is the i Phones are fairly RFI "dirty," at least for Audi comfort access electronics.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-04-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone!

Busy day yesterday with the car (!) sorry I couldn't answer everyone's questions, but I'll do my best right now... and some random thoughts....

WOW! It's great. Super happy with everything. :-) PICTURES COMING LATER TODAY!

The 2.0 is enough for me, most of my driving is around town, and I'll very rarely tow anything heavy. It is much more powerful than my 2.2L Subaru (non-turbo). Very fast off the line.

@Bob Petruska... the mirrors seem fine to me, though they are big. My Subaru mirrors are somewhere between my wife's A6 and the Q5, so I am used to larger. You are correct that sitting lower blocks more view... so you might try raising the entire seat (i.e. raising the rear portion of the cushion all the way up). You can gain 1" - 2" of height that way, as long as long as you head doesn't hit the roof! ALSO - I'm embarrassed to say that I am 40+ and **JUST** learned to set my mirrors correctly about 6 weeks ago!! If you can see ANY portion of the car in your side view mirrors, you are doing it wrong. See this link... or several others on YouTube re: "Properly Adjust Mirrors". It too me two weeks to adjust. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tDI4ThwdXg

I REALLY like the "Natural Ash" wood, you can see and feel the wood grain.

I'm happy with the color. I know, silver is boring and very popular, I know that it will be easy to maintain, and this paint job really has "depth" in real life... almost liquid looking. It seems classic and classy to me. Maybe it is the most common color because it is the best color? :-)

@Stash64... The mileage is 23 mixed, 20 city, 28 highway. I was able to get a solid 24mpg driving home last night about 20 minutes in hot, stop-and-go traffic, with a VERY light foot (coasting up to red lights, etc.). I'll post a picture of the window sticker.

@Bob Petruska... re: Heat. It was HOT here yesterday (109 in the street at 2pm). I think that car windows in general make good "greenhouses" and that the exterior paint doesn't make that much difference. An article I just read says that dark cars get hotter faster, but all cars end up at about the same temp. That said, I intend to get the sunroof tinted with a clear UV/IR rejecting film.

@Jdntea... I'll post some pictures of the hitch. Yes, it was factory installed. IMPORTANT NOTE... The port did include the remaining "panel" that was cut away from the bumper, and it looks like it is now removable!! More pictures later, but I have access to a machine shop, and may be able to cut a little square hole in the panel and put it back into place with just the receiver sticking through for mounting a bike rack. It even has built in 1/4-turn thumb screws!

@Jdntea... I love the Ice, it seems "cooler" (slightly blue-ish) in the evening. The Cuvee is also nice, it looks "warmer" (slightly champagne-ish) in the evening. You'll be happy.

@DennisMitchell... Ice Silver exterior and Black interior. I've found that the black stays much cleaner over the years, and I have filthy teenage boys! Still haven't decided if I'll let them in the car! The silver/black is also pretty "classy" and simple, but some people find it kinda boring. Still, I sat in many interiors before I chose it. And choose it I did!

There was some kerfuffle with the Audi Supplier Program yesterday... we qualify because my wife works for a qualifying company... however, the certificate that Audi generates and emails to you is ONLY GOOD FOR 2013's! Yikes, the sales manager had to have a face-to-face meeting with the Regional Sales Manager to get him to agree that Audi would honor the discount. Warning if you are using "Supplier Program". This all might change because the program ends on July 8, and last year they took several weeks to "restart" the program... maybe August 1. So, if you have a 2014 coming in anytime soon and plan to use Supplier, straighten it out with the sales guys first!

The dealer experience was "meh". At least they didn't try anything shady. My original salesperson quit and I was shuffled between another two guys, but it turned out OK.

My dealer does clear bra on-site, and they also arranged a front "matching" tint on the driver's and passenger's window.

In all, I've only had about 20 minutes in the car, and have TONS of work to do today, so I'll try to get some good pics this evening.

:-)
Thanks for all the info. I am curious about the hitch. I think I am getting a car that is just coming into port in about 2 weeks and I wasn't aware that you could add the hitch at the port...was yours a custom ordered car that had specified the hitch? Your sticker has the hitch on there so I think maybe you can only get the factory hitch if it's pre configured at manufacture. Let us know how they added that and at what point. Thx.

Last edited by Gossip Girl; 07-04-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi -

@Gossip Girl Donna: I did custom order the car directly from Germany, and they did perform the hitch install at the port in Texas. HOWEVER, I am 90% + sure that there is no factory "pre-configuration" (wiring, computer, frame assembly) needed for this. My guess is that you could have your order changed to add the hitch at the port when it arrives. Press your sales people very hard, and call AOA if you have to. It was $820. More than an aftermarket hitch, but I really wanted it, and wanted it done factory (because there is some programming involved). Note also that they print the window sticker at the port, not at the factory (according to my sales guy), so don't worry about that....

@MP4.2+6.0 YES!!!!! Solved!!!! I tested 10 for 10 perfectly with the key alone, and then had intermittent failures with the iPhone in the same pocket. And yes, I always keep the phone and key in the same pocket! I'll probably make a new thread (very short) just to help other people. Thanks! You get a gold star! :-)
Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi -

@Gossip Girl Donna: I did custom order the car directly from Germany, and they did perform the hitch install at the port in Texas. HOWEVER, I am 90% + sure that there is no factory "pre-configuration" (wiring, computer, frame assembly) needed for this. My guess is that you could have your order changed to add the hitch at the port when it arrives. Press your sales people very hard, and call AOA if you have to. It was $820. More than an aftermarket hitch, but I really wanted it, and wanted it done factory (because there is some programming involved). Note also that they print the window sticker at the port, not at the factory (according to my sales guy), so don't worry about that....

@MP4.2+6.0 YES!!!!! Solved!!!! I tested 10 for 10 perfectly with the key alone, and then had intermittent failures with the iPhone in the same pocket. And yes, I always keep the phone and key in the same pocket! I'll probably make a new thread (very short) just to help other people. Thanks! You get a gold star! :-)
Thanks for the info. Did you get any kind of wiring connector with that? I need a 7 pin connector. Or did you add that aftermarket. If you added it, where did they put it? I think it looks cleaner with the factory hitch, but I'll deal with an aftermarket if I have to so as not to wait 3 months for the car.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mark P
Those WT mats look like they fit great. I had old style ones before they made them so snug. This will be great at least for my rear seats to collect falling objects from my toddler.

I used to keep in my rubber AudiSport mats year round in my S4 when I was up in CT and even after moving to NC. Maybe I'll do that again with these, even though they're not as needed around here (lack of snow and corresponding sand/salt)
Love your car collection. I thought I was bad with 3 cars. Do you have a big garage for all that?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I picked up my 2014 today Black on Black and was thinking this past weekend if I had to do it over it would have been Ice Silver. In PA today it was 90 degrees with high humidity and the A/C in the Black Q5 actually had me too cold at 68 and I needed to raise the setting to 72 and turn down the fan to #2. I sure hope it performs that way for a long time. Ice Silver would have enhanced the cooling even more.
Never regret black...black rocks. Although I will get a glacier white this time, I love black!