Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Android Headunit installed in my 2014 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Claudio Rinaldi
Hi everyone.
I have just purchased an 8.8 "Rsnav unit for my Q5 and before starting the installation I checked all the components in the package.
I didn't find the metal plate to install instead of the old display.

Is it normal that there isn't?
Perhaps because it does not serve in Q5?
I wouldn't want to take everything apart and realize something is missing ...
Thanks for your help
I responded over at Audizine to this question yesterday, I assume you are D@rkside on there. Post #1 of this thread shows what came with my unit. Frankly, the display just barely fits in the Audi dash opening. You have to wiggle the unit left and right to fit in. Had to remove some plastic to make it work. It just fits, without any bracket in the Q5. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post12952656 gives an idea of the plastic I removed.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dennis, yes I am ... :-). I asked for help from the most representative and competent forums.
I read your answer and I thank you for the information.
Now I'm sure it wasn't a mistake in the packaging.
But since the 8.8 unit in Q5 is not fastened with any screws, once installed, is it tight or does it move slightly?
I don't understand how you can get stuck well!
Old 06-08-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Claudio Rinaldi
Hi Dennis, yes I am ... :-). I asked for help from the most representative and competent forums.
I read your answer and I thank you for the information.
Now I'm sure it wasn't a mistake in the packaging.
But since the 8.8 unit in Q5 is not fastened with any screws, once installed, is it tight or does it move slightly?
I don't understand how you can get stuck well!
It is installed snug, and it does not vibrate. I did use some velcro loop material to make it snugger. The trim does integrate fitting with the tablet frame, so it is a matter of fitment just right. The trim piece is pushed into the Audi cushion dash and interlocks with the tablet.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Well a great write up and detailed work. I just ordered mine today.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Q5, 2010, Radio Concert

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Please check out my installation of an android headunit in my 2014 Q5. I paid retail for this, so this post is to share my experience. Integrates very well with the Q5. Wiring harness is plug and play.
Notice new bezel around 8.8" screen included in kit.
Out of box typical android main screen. Uses cellular SIM card or personal wifi hotspot.
Look after installing Car Launcher AG app.
Notice the main apps I configured:
- MMI app to return to Audi OEM screens
- Android Auto app
- 1Weather app
- Waze navigation
- Google search app
- Apps - Car Launcher AG will show all installed apps

Pressing MMI app or long press of MMI Menu button gives MMI menu.
Putting car in reverse will automatically give original OEM backup screen with guide lines (if so equipped. Option to install aftermarket camera too.).

Android Auto app main screen.
Android Auto app displaying Google Maps in driving mode.

Android Auto app displaying Amazon Music

8.8" Android HeadUnit (RSNAV)

If you would like to read more about the specifications of the product, please look at the RSNAV website. They have four difference displays available, but I went for the 8.8" widescreen that fits within the dash.

8.8" model: https://rsnav.com/products/8-8-inch-...=3016668545064

Complete product line: https://rsnav.com/

I will answer any questions about this vehicle enhancement.
Hi,
Any idea if this system can be retrofited to my 2010, Q5 with Radio Concert??

Last edited by Rami Gech; 09-09-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

Go to this link:
RSNav 8.8 LHD Radio Concert

select Q5 Concert/symphony

note soon there will be a hardware bundled CarPlay instead of having to purchase a usb wireless dongle for CarPlay.

also note that there is an external usb CarPlay filter/stabilizer

Last edited by apoelistas; 09-10-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Dennis-
Do you make housecalls for installations?(G)

Or do I need to get an H1B visa for apoelistas and bring him in to do it?

Actually, I'm so thrilled when Gargoyle [sic] Maps tells me to occasionally continue driving due east--as I'm looking directly at the setting sun--that in some ways, I'm happier with a real Magellan unit. It may be dumb, but at least it is honest!
Old 10-24-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have trouble with your phone getting connected with either wired or wireless to the RSNav? It was working for a few months (well kind of) then it's getting worse now. The headunit refused to detect anything. I have been contacting Daniel but it just takes so long for his response each time. This is getting really frustrating. He told me it could be the USB filter or harness. I got an iSilencer3.0 USB filter and it made no difference. I am still waiting on his response.

This really blows as this headunit was never stable since day one. It's like rolling the dice and just hope it will work. I really want to like this machine but I am at a point to give up and just put the stock headunit back on.

Jon
Old 10-24-2019, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

Update Carplay firmware and Carplay app. If you haven’t you should. Then let me know if the issue persists.

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-24-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Poor customer service

Waited almost 3 weeks for Daniel to respond my email without an apology, he just sent me a link and told me to buy a new harness. I think it's quite ridiculous for them to send out an inferior harness in the first place and not honor their "warranty"! https://rsnav.com/pages/warranty

Warranty

We offer a 1-month replacement. Buyers may request for a replacement within 15 days from your receipt of the product. The buyer should return the product in the original conditions to us and should bear the shipping cost of return.
We offer 12 months Factory limited warranty on hardware. We will repair or replace the product if needed. We reserve rights to refuse such service in the cases of (1) Damage caused by Undue wear & tear, dirt, misused, improper installation or operation, neglect, accident. (2) Any damages caused by improper packaging when buyers return the items to us. (3)If the item was disassembled or repaired by unauthorized person. Software including your data is not under warranty.
The buyer is responsible for the cost of any shipping fee for warranty service. If the returned item is not applicable under warranty, the buyer will be responsible for the repair and replacement cost.

Is that how they treat their customers? We paid for their headunits and not beta testers....... They are quick at taking my money at check out. That's about it.

Last edited by GlacierSQ5; 11-11-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: My Android Headunit installed in my 2014 Q5