Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My experience with looking for a Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with looking for a Q5

Ok, so right now I have two vehicles (328i and a Subi for the snow). I am thinking of moving on to only one vehicle.
So...I went into a local Audi dealership a couple weekends ago to check out the Q5. Liked it a lot and started going through all the usual games at the dealership, which is always aggravating.
First they lowballed me on the trade-in for the Bimmer (2007 coupe fully loaded and low mileage), which i was expecting. But the number they gave was actually insulting (19k). And they refused to budge off the Q5 premium plus pricing (42,800). So...they finally went through a whole bunch of hoops and they were willing to lose money (yeah right) on the trade-in up to 27.5k. That sounded more like what it was actually worth on trade-in. But because of getting such a good deal (again, yeah right), they couldn't budge off of the Q5 price. Oh, and I got badgered (literally verbally attacked) about how much they should be making off of each unit, the whole woah-is-me story. Ridiculous.
And then to make the deal done that day they offered to throw in the maintenance plan for free, which they quoted as a $1700 value (another lie).
So...I walked away.

Back to reality...
How much would be a good price for this vehicle in the southern California area?
The pathetic spiel at that dealership really left a bad taste in my mouth, so I don't plan on going back there. But LA has a lot of options, so should be able to get some budging somewhere.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default audi sales people sucks *****!

i always get the same bull**** from audi dealers. they think their cars are better than any other brand out there. most sale ppl i have dealt with they are very arrogant and stuck up! i just happend to me two weeks ago when i went for test drive! they had the never to tell me that my fully loaded fx 35 couldnt even come close to the Q5 i got up and left and told them to kiss my *** never again buying another audi
Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well if it's a 328i coupe the market could be soft on it. It's not a 335. The Q5 is a hot seller. At least out here. It's nice to be able to say no. At the end of the day you should be able to get at least a grand off and if you don't trust their trade number, carmax it.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lacucina_chef
i always get the same bull**** from audi dealers. they think their cars are better than any other brand out there. most sale ppl i have dealt with they are very arrogant and stuck up!
Sorry to hear that. Many salespeople underestimate the importance of service. Initially I was looking into an 09' 335xi but had a similar experience at the BMW dealership so I walked out on them and (thankfully) into the Audi dealership where I cam across the lovely Q5. The service at Audi, in my experience, is unparalleled compared to other luxury car dealers.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jazzmeer
Sorry to hear that. Many salespeople underestimate the importance of service. Initially I was looking into an 09' 335xi but had a similar experience at the BMW dealership so I walked out on them and (thankfully) into the Audi dealership where I cam across the lovely Q5. The service at Audi, in my experience, is unparalleled compared to other luxury car dealers.
I just drop my car for 30K service in local BMW - they always was good to me. Never had any problems ( I bribe my SA !)
Get loaner Z4 convertible.
Looking forward for Audi service !
Old 06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
Well if it's a 328i coupe the market could be soft on it. It's not a 335. The Q5 is a hot seller. At least out here. It's nice to be able to say no. At the end of the day you should be able to get at least a grand off and if you don't trust their trade number, carmax it.

Here is a comparable vehicle to mine. Almost all the same options. Asking $36k. I think they could move it...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lacucina_chef
i always get the same bull**** from audi dealers. they think their cars are better than any other brand out there. most sale ppl i have dealt with they are very arrogant and stuck up! i just happend to me two weeks ago when i went for test drive! they had the never to tell me that my fully loaded fx 35 couldnt even come close to the Q5 i got up and left and told them to kiss my *** never again buying another audi
Lol thanks for the kind words. Honestly the FX is nothing special. It has almost no room in it. The hood is too long and they look like shoes. I worked for Infiniti, I know! I hated it there. It's the same car repackaged over and over. Their paint is terrible. LITERALLY if cars did not get treated with a sealant bird poop would eat right through the clear coat in the same day. I could scratch through the paint with a fingernail. I've demonstrated it to customers before. Hell our bodyshop even said their paint sucked so bad they wished they'd just send them in unpainted and let them do it. Nothing about their cars impresses me in the least bit.
Am I an Audi snob? Yes I'm very passionate about the product. Sure there's other cars out there but there's only one Audi.

Ok back to topic. That's a cpo car. So there's warranty, reconditioning, yada yada built into that price. They also have subsidized APRs on their cars. An Audi dealer could never hope to draw that kind of money for your car. A BMW store could obviously. Sure they lowballed you bad which is unusual. But 27 sounds about right on trade. I hate trades. Another dealer can offer you more but you never know how much funny money they have. Like I said Carmax is a good baseline. A dealer should be within a grand of their number. Good luck! PS get an 09 if you liked the heavier steering.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree that the 27k quote makes more sense. And I know about the CPO number (that's how i got mine), but my point was that they could easily make a nice profit even without the CPO markup. Acting like whiny children really didn't impress me or draw any pity. I've never seen such a miserable performance.

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
PS get an 09 if you liked the heavier steering.
What does the heavier steering refer to?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

The arrogance is not needed, but the truth of the matter is that the car is white hot. It's the fastest selling car in the US right now (per PIN as seen in the WSJ). Two #1 comparison test results, and top safety results from NHTSA and IIHS. It's no wonder the dealers scoff at the idea of knocking thousands off a car that they have very few of, and have little trouble selling. Supply & demand. The beauty of it is, in LA you have a wide selection of hungry dealers to cater to you.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default They don't seem too enthusiastic about moving them

Originally Posted by der Scherzkeks
The arrogance is not needed, but the truth of the matter is that the car is white hot. It's the fastest selling car in the US right now (per PIN as seen in the WSJ). Two #1 comparison test results, and top safety results from NHTSA and IIHS. It's no wonder the dealers scoff at the idea of knocking thousands off a car that they have very few of, and have little trouble selling. Supply & demand. The beauty of it is, in LA you have a wide selection of hungry dealers to cater to you.

Every Q5 that was at the dealership two weeks ago is still there (actually they added a few additional since then)...

Quick Reply: My experience with looking for a Q5