Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Q5 saved our lives in today's Noreaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Q5 saved our lives in today's Noreaster

Hi All

Wife, dog, and I are home safe tonight and the Q5 is in the garage without a scratch. We had to drive back today from NH to Brooklyn through the storm due to inflexible work obligations for tomorrow.

I am writing this in bed and my hands are still shaking. The 5 hour drive up on Christmas eve turned into a 10 hour ordeal on the return trip.

I will post pics and a full write-up tomorrow. My wife took some pics from the road.

All I can say is quattro proved the he'll out of itself and my next car will definitely be an Audi.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can attest to this because I did the same. Drove from Vermont to Staten Island. 11 hours through the blizzard. I will also post pics in the morning as I just got home too. MIne is home without a scratch and went through all the snow I put her through. I passed everything on the road and never once had an issue, never once felt like I didn't have control, never once slid. It's truly amazing and I didn't even have snow tires, just crappy all seasons.

Goodnight, feels good to be home safe thanks to the Q5 and its amazing performance.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to hear you are safe...I have always been impressed with quattro. My wifes A4 with all seasons beats my Subie with snows. When her car has snows on it, it really is unstoppable. Once we drove through snow higher than the hood, only stopping because we couldn't see. We had our first kid recently and her replacement will be an Audi, likely a Q5. Not only does it give me confidence they will get where they are going but god forbid there is an accident the Audi's are built like brick ****houses.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad to hear that you all made it home safe and sound; was wondering about how they would handle that snow. But still glad I didn't have to drive in it though; even DRIVING A TANK, I'd be worried about the other drivers out there.
Wclepse,
I was also wondering about how the Subaru would do compared to othe Audi - we have both.

Bob
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thats good, we got hit pretty hard yesterday, im glad that you made it home safely. May i ask what tire did your Q5 come with, I have a 2011 Q5 and it came with the goodyear tires, and i find that they suck in light snow. I was not confident at all yesterday morning even with 2 or 3 inches of snow. I am seriously considering a set of winter tires now. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2011 Q5 Prestige came with Continental Cross Contact LX all-seasons. I was fairly happy with this because those are what I had on my old rig, they are fairly quiet as far as road noise, and have never failed me in any condition, even last years 20"+ of snow here in Philly.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad to hear you both are safe, and very impressed the Q5 made it through that storm - and in Coolieman's case on all seasons even! Just listening and reading the news today about how hard parts of the east coast got hit...

theperchik, what tires do you have on your Q5?

I have Goodyear Eagle LS all-seasons, and it hasn't really snowed that bad here in Ohio to tell how good they are.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also can say the Q5 was great in the snow in NYC last night, however i did run into trouble getting it out the driveway to the road, it had to be the ice...I'm running perilli scorpian all season.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dmahase
I also can say the Q5 was great in the snow in NYC last night, however i did run into trouble getting it out the driveway to the road, it had to be the ice...I'm running perilli scorpian all season.
Where the Pirelli's OE?

Bob
Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gat821

I have Goodyear Eagle LS all-seasons, and it hasn't really snowed that bad here in Ohio to tell how good they are.
I have those same tires on my Q5, I personally didn't feel too solid when i was driving it around in 3 inches of snow, it could have been the ice that was on the ground before hand, but regardless, I ordered Michelin X-ice Xi2, should be here in a few days.

Quick Reply: My Q5 saved our lives in today's Noreaster